Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Turning venison into ham and bacon

I just had some bacon and eggs tonight and I can say the bacon was awesome. Im really happy I got it done.
    outdoorlad, bunji and Micky Duck like this.
    When hunting think safety first

@7mm Rem Mag Here is our xmas Venison Ham wrapped in pork belly & a Bacon l just did ,bloody glorious smell wafting out of the smoker had the dogs slobbering .

Name:  Red Venison Ham,bacon out of the Smoker Sml.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  22.1 KB

Also Xmas Venison Pastrami l did a few days earlier -

Name:  Red Venison Pastrami Sml.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  44.4 KB

A good Vac Pack is worth its weight in gold once you get into it .

Name:  Red Patrami Vak Pak Sml.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  43.4 KB
    "Fair Winds and Following Seas" - Capt Ron You Glorious Bastard.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help. " President Ronald Reagan

@bunji that looks great. I had a big feed of bacon and eggs for lunch and it is bloody good. I gave my daughter some and she loved it as well.

You will be in heaven with all that, I can almost taste it

Quote Originally Posted by 7mm Rem Mag View Post
    @bunji that looks great. I had a big feed of bacon and eggs for lunch and it is bloody good. I gave my daughter some and she loved it as well.

You will be in heaven with all that, I can almost taste it
    @7mm Rem Mag I knew you would love it once you tried it ,bloody great having a extra enjoyment to your hunting you can share with all the family now

Going to do up the rangy lookin Bush Stag l got a while ago up into Biltong & bag it next so we will be stocked up for Xmas/New Years ,l hate rushing around xmas so am determined this year to have everything done & prepped early so we can get in some good Spear fishing trips the lock downs put a stop to, love our fresh sea food as well .
    7mm Rem Mag likes this.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help. " President Ronald Reagan

mutton hams are great,once you get used to no rind n fatty bits...every bit as good as pork.
    bunji......when you get your meat n great weekend up and running...I would be more than keen to come along and learn..... wifes Aunt in oz lives with Italians who do same thing....really made my ears perk up.
    if you ever get canada goose...DONT skin it...pluck breasts and cut them out,minced into salami as is ,the fat under and in skin keep them moist and OH so wonderful in taste....
    7mm Rem Mag likes this.

I have used the Bradley sugar cure....this is a dry cure method and after following the instructions it worked out mint...I overdid the smoke time the first time but nailed it the 2nd,3rd,4th.....it goes crispy in the pan ...ohh so good🤤
    7mm Rem Mag likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bunji View Post
    @7mm Rem Mag I knew you would love it once you tried it ,bloody great having a extra enjoyment to your hunting you can share with all the family now

Going to do up the rangy lookin Bush Stag l got a while ago up into Biltong & bag it next so we will be stocked up for Xmas/New Years ,l hate rushing around xmas so am determined this year to have everything done & prepped early so we can get in some good Spear fishing trips the lock downs put a stop to, love our fresh sea food as well .
    Your xmas's must be some amazing feasts. Im keen to hear more, keep the posts coming

@Micky Duck I have always loved Wing Shooting & really enjoy Canada Goose & when we lived in Arnhem Land l nearly lived on their Magpie Goose while it was in season & it is still one of my favorite Game meats that l get cravings for .

The boys showed me how to do a beautiful Canada Goose Prosciutto but my favorite is it either marinated & done on Kebabs with a peanut sauce like we would do our magpie geese or in what l call Canada Goose Cabana ,we also do Canada Goose Cajun sausage l got the recipe for while living in the US .Good eating when treated properly for sure

I have found one of the greatest aids to making the sausages / Salami & Smoking meats etc is getting good gear ,which l was lucky to do years ago at a clearance auction completely by accident after we went there just to get some stainless benches for our home kills .Now it means l just set up & do a variety of cook ups while the gear is all set up ,saves a heap of time & it gets Vak Packed all in one hit & clean up with the Pressure cleaner making it to easy .

I have not watched the Idiot Box for years as l just muck around doing a cook up or working on my bikes or going for a arvo hunt/spotlight .

Canada Goose Cabana

Name:  RED Canada Goose Cabana Sml.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  41.7 KB

Canada Goose Peanut & Sesame Kebabs

Name:  Canada Goose peanut -sesame-kabobs Sml.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  25.5 KB

Always welcome on the farm mate ,although as soon as the cluster fuck lock downs are over l intend to spend as much time on our Dive/Fishing boat l am partners in & have not set fucking foot in for 2 yrs & now my Lil Bro is talking about wanting to sell
    outdoorlad, Micky Duck and Ned like this.

goose tit McNuggets.......edmonds cook book beer batter and cubes of goose breast,quickly deep fried scoffemupdelishimo
    masterfoods steak seasoning goes well with all meats and works well with these too.

dive/fishing boat sounds like fun...assumably it isnt located down here in this end of country or you could use it......maybe you need to secretly steal it under cover of darkness...cutting out from under noses of security in the finest navel traditions of old....

@Micky Duck Yeh now your talking, l like the Tandaco Southern fried chicken crumbed mix as well & slicing the goose breast as thin as you can & cooking like a schnitzel & it goes bloody good on Bunny as well,l am doing some Bunnies we shot last night in it for tea during the week .

Bloody boats moored at my Lil Bro's place at BOP ,the idea was the missus can visit the inlaws & old friends in Latte land while l escape on the boat.Lock downs put the kyber on that,meaning for the last couple of years all l have seen is the typical B.O.A.T Bring Out Another Thousand bills & photos of the smiling little prick with Marlin etc .
    Last edited by bunji; 27-11-2021 at 10:09 PM.
    Micky Duck likes this.

@bunji you are very much a man after my own heart, if we lived in the same island I am sure we would be swapping ideas and thoughts over a imbibement or two.

All the stories of what people are making and getting made are making me very envious.

Being off work due to an injury ( again ) my meat cupboard is very depleted and I havent been able to produce much.Mind you when I hunt in the meat isle at the supermarket, I still go for the whole rumps and break them down to make sausages and corned beef as well as steaks and mince. I figure if I can buy whole rump at $12 a kg it better than $16.99 for mince

But here is my xmas effort we use for thank you's and small gifts.

I made more but here is a pic of a few.

8hrs cold smoked with Pohutakawa / manuka mix Two weeks in the fridge, and it turns dirty old colby into the most wonderous smoked cheese.

Name:  IMG_5189.JPG
Views: 75
Size:  1.81 MB
    Micky Duck and ROKTOY like this.

@johnd Great gift idea mate ,that will be more appreciated than the usual socks & jocks etc, l have not tried doing any cheeses etc yet .One of the neighboring farms we drop a bit of our Game Sausages etc off is a Bee keeper & keeps us stocked up with their honey including Manuka varieties ,l am going to finish one of those Hams off with a Manuka Glaze for xmas day as l really like how Manuka reacts/tastes with a smoking .

Hope your healing up goes well
    johnd likes this.