Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Wagyu calves

Banned
    Just get some Pitt Island sheep and beef becomes peasant food in comparison
    Micky Duck, Gibbstl and XR500 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by rugerman View Post
    I got a "white" Galloway ( I put white in quotes since it was actually black), as a pet/house cow but it was mad as a meat axe. Jumping fences, and after chasing the TB testing guy out of the yards ( he declared it " too dangerous to test"), I decided it wasn't coming out of the yards alive. A quick call to the home kill guy and an hour later I gave it a 30/30 pill to chew on just before the homekill guy turned up, since I knew if it saw him it would be over the top of the yards and stampeding across the paddocks. Some of you guys will know the look, head up high, tail up and a super mad look in it's eye like it's gonna run over everyone and everything. Anywho as the guy was skinning and gutting he kept going on about what a great eater it was going to be. Well yep, marbling and great fat levels and that was just on grass. Never again, if I go house cow again I will stick to a jersey. Lesson learned
    we have them here "pandas" the farm staff call them..beautiful animals and good to handle...as calves they fight you for two days then latch onto teat and stay on like limpet..tongue is different to dairy stock,harder and more pointy,they do well on rough graizing from all accounts...the older bulls not unlike belgium blue in muscle tone....pandas because of the black nose,ears and huge eye lashes....seriously cute calves.... never heard of black galloways,either white or banded yes...but not black....
    rugerman likes this.

Will find out next year, running a team of belty bulls with a herd at the moment
    Micky Duck likes this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Chelsea View Post
    I have been trying to convince the farm owner to use short gestation Belgium blue instead of short gestation x bred at the tail end of calving. We do AB all mating. But he’s worried about calving difficulties because they are such big units but I believe they have been “refined” to be easy calving. Still haven’t convinced him but once he gets a taste of one he won’t be able to resist.
    We used 40 straws of Belgium Blue last year in addition to the Charolais that we usually use. Cool calves, but significantly more calving difficulties. Back to all (aside from Sexed Friesian) Charolais this year
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    If my work annoys me, I cull them

Quote Originally Posted by Rich007 View Post
    We used 40 straws of Belgium Blue last year in addition to the Charolais that we usually use. Cool calves, but significantly more calving difficulties. Back to all (aside from Sexed Friesian) Charolais this year
    More difficulties from size? That’s what farm owner is worried about but I see LIC I think it is has advertised “easy calving, SG” straws.
    We are currently cleaning up with Angus and then SG dairy. All our SG dairy are trucked so I’d rather use a sought after SG beefy and sell them if not rear them.
    Last edited by Chelsea; 21-11-2021 at 04:45 PM.

More difficulties from size? That’s what farm owner is worried about but I see LIC I think it is has advertised “easy calving, SG” straws.
    We are currently cleaning up with Angus and then SG dairy. All our SG dairy are trucked so I’d rather use a sought after SG beefy and sell them if not rear them.
    Mine were 'easy calving' too (although through CRV). There were certainly some big calves, but then we had some big Charolais calves too with far fewer issues.

I guess I'm just saying, be aware that the calving may be easier than normal for a BB, but it will be harder than you are used to.

Agree with the idea of creating additional value in the calves, we haven't bobbied anything for 6 years now.
    Moa Hunter, Micky Duck and XR500 like this.

you fellas shoul look into stats for them ones they had in late 80s...LIC were doing it out of hamilton,ruakura think it was......always stuck in my mind just how easily the heifers handled calving,others spoken too said the same. If I remember rightly the first cross bulls were used on heifers and the older cows had pure straws to get the bulls,the heifers went over seas....

The only Red Devon I have seen was Big Red who lived at Owlcatraz when that place was still open. Allegedly the biggest steer in the southern hemisphere. He was lame and still let me scratch him. I used 14 Wagyu straws over our Jersey herd this year, I'll tell you about it in 8 1/2 months time...
    I'd like to verify your clam.

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich007 View Post

I guess I'm just saying, be aware that the calving may be easier than normal for a BB, but it will be harder than you are used to.
    Some info I found for Belgian Blues is that on average the cows have 4 caesarians in their lifetime, and up to 10!
    But it sounds like it's not purely a calf size problem, the cows also tend to have a narrow pelvis.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    Some info I found for Belgian Blues is that on average the cows have 4 caesarians in their lifetime, and up to 10!
    But it sounds like it's not purely a calf size problem, the cows also tend to have a narrow pelvis.
    Interesting, I hadn't thought of the cow itself playing a role other than the genetics passed on to the calf. In my experience calf shape plays as much of a role as the size - particularly the shape of the shoulders and head.

I would say 30% of our x bred dairy that have wagyu end up assisted calvings, all to different degreees. a little less this year but we put in extra measures that helped. Our wagyu calves were all very close size to the calf pictured earlier in the thread. We even had a horse of a jersey x calf this year that was so stunning first light took him with the wagyu. That was probably one of the most difficult calvings we had in terms of size, I actually cried while calving her!
    I would have thought BB couldn’t be much worse than that surely. I suppose I just hate the waste of sending calves on the truck at the end of calving. We are using Angus straws until the SG dairy start but Angus seem to flood the market every year.
    Micky Duck likes this.

I would say 30% of our x bred dairy that have wagyu end up assisted calvings, all to different degreees. a little less this year but we put in extra measures that helped. Our wagyu calves were all very close size to the calf pictured earlier in the thread. We even had a horse of a jersey x calf this year that was so stunning first light took him with the wagyu. That was probably one of the most difficult calvings we had in terms of size, I actually cried while calving her!
    I would have thought BB couldn’t be much worse than that surely. I suppose I just hate the waste of sending calves on the truck at the end of calving. We are using Angus straws until the SG dairy start but Angus seem to flood the market every year.
    30% is a horrible figure, probably a good enough reason to avoid them for this farmer! I like low input farming and quiet animals.
    Micky Duck and CATLINS HUNTER like this.

ok i feel have to poke bit of hard earned wisdon here....hooking calf onto block and cow being towed is not ideal...the usual set up is cow in head bail and rope DOWN to ground behind her....so angle of delivery is downwards to help things go naturally.standing on rope tied firmly is often more than enough pressure....its all in the timing..... bugger going back to bull that gave issues year before....find something easier on the girls,they have hard enough time of it as it is..... more than enough heifers go gaga as it is without additional stress of traumatic calving...
    Ben Waimata and Chelsea like this.

they sure are tasty but absolutely dumb as fuck..... mate had one run into a supporting pole of his shed and ended up killing itself

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Waimata View Post
    30% is a horrible figure, probably a good enough reason to avoid them for this farmer! I like low input farming and quiet animals.
    Yeah only seemed to be the wagyu but we found other factors that contributed to it also. Went a lot smoother this year. Our cows tend to get very fat very easy pre calving and have big calves.