Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: What are the best cuts of meat from a possum ?

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    You could have a point there. Bit like those Burger king vegan burgers that came out about the same time as this virus. I wonder if there's a link?
    Good point, I know a couple of Vegans and the tricky bastards served me up 'tricken' one night, was pretty hungry and went for it. First shovelful was mean, then the second I clicked something was not quite right, then it hit me and I felt dirty.
    Use enough gun

Thanks for posting about this, I can say that possum's quite low on the list but if needs must, there's plenty of them out there and it's good to know the a, b, c of prepping them.
    Phil_H likes this.

Take whatever meat you can get, put it all through the mincer and mince the lot, then marinate it for about 2 days and hope the smell goes away. Throw in mince with some rice risotto.

Thats what I would do, but I hope it never comes down to that.

I have big fat rabbits tormenting me from across the road, I will bowl them over at the risk of discharging a firearm in a built up area if I get desperate enough.
    GUN CONTROL IS A TIGHT 5-SHOT GROUP.

Well, it sounds as if not many people have tried possum and it's even less popular than mountain oysters. It really wasn't that bad, just another red meat and not too dry. Must be a lot more difficult "bush meat" being eaten all over the world. We don't know how lucky we are. I would rather it had been venison eye fillets but I just couldn't figure out where they were living this month.

It is clear that people have not tried possum or have prepared it very badly. If it is prepared properly, it is just like veal. It has a very mild flavour that is improved with cranberry sauce.
    Steve123 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 40mm View Post
    Good point, I know a couple of Vegans and the tricky bastards served me up 'tricken' one night, was pretty hungry and went for it. First shovelful was mean, then the second I clicked something was not quite right, then it hit me and I felt dirty.
    yes you should feel dirty...... you were violated .....call SVU

I've eaten a lot of possum and I rate it fairly highly. Like someone mentioned earlier it is best to cut out the two glands filled with the thick white, stinky fluid in the soft flesh under the tail... without having them leak over the meat. Once you've experienced the contents of these glands you will know why folks like to avoid them in their meal. They contain what seems to me to be a super-concentrated essence of possum.

Some possums have tasted somewhat 'gamey'. I think this was mainly due to gut taint. It appears that if the guts are left in the carcass for more than a short time, the earthy flavour can reach the front legs and backsteaks....and maybe beyond if left long enough.

Keeping the fur off the meat is a challenge if you are fussy. Otherwise they could be classified as a great source of dietary fibre.

I have been surprised at how relatively tender a big old possum can be. And some carry a decent amount of fat too, which is something I appreciate.

I generally will not eat the liver from a possum nowadays as I believe that is where residue of poison is likely to be concentrated if they've had a less than lethal dose of it (I often won't eat pig liver for the same reason). And if I know for sure that someone has been laying poison, I will generally not hunt possums in that area. If a possum looks skinny or 'unwell' I won't butcher it.

The best feed of possum I can remember was my first taste of it. Dad had taken us out spotlighting for small game and we got some rabbits and a possum. Dad was crumbing and frying some rabbit legs, and we decided to try some of the possum. It was a revelation. Tender, juicy and delicious. Much better than rabbit. That was probably around 1970.

Rupert described possum as tasting like veal. I had some veal tonight oddly enough, and I reckon Rupert's assessment is pretty good. Prior to tonight, I guess I would have described possum as maybe like a bit of mild rabbit or chicken.

I know possums do things that aren't popular and I agree that control is needed. However I can't help but regard them as a resource.

I still get the occasional possum, but I don't pursue them like I once did. Our dog is no longer with us, but when she was here we fed her a lot of possum. Sometimes we fed it to her raw, but often I'd just skin and gut the possums and throw them in a big pot and cook them outdoors. When cool, I'd pour the nutritious liquor around the roots of special plants, and I'd pull all the meat off the bones and pack it into bags to freeze for Lizzy the dog. (A mate of mine wrote a song about Lizzy if you are interested in that kind of thing.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlxUPyI-MFY&t=2s )

Ryan, ROKTOY and mimms2 like this.