Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Wild pork, any good for ham?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_H View Post
    Oh you are a real joy @outlander........just when my tastebuds were starting to drool over the discussion of good cooked wild pork.....

Cheers
    Phil
    Eat up.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    Here’s a trailer load of pig dump bait. Believe me, when they’ve been on this kind of thing (they like to leave it a while to make sure it’s properly rotten), you won’t want to be preparing them for the table... it’s also worth pointing out that the mob of pigs that cleaned this lot up went through it in 2 days. Couple of huge sows and half a dozen medium-sized “eating” pigs. We know this because we had two video cameras on the dump.

The pickiest pig eaters I know are all pig hunters. Very, very selective as to what they will choose to eat for themselves.

Attachment 151609
    Should we start calling you 'Brick Top' Flyblown ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xUynRdzzsM
    Pixie Z likes this.

if you want a really good ham....take back wheels off a mutton in to butcher....you dont get the yummy fat as you do with pork but the meat is primo eating....ruapehu pork...well I grew up in kaitieke and there was NOTHING wrong with any wild pork from around there,either dog held n stuck...dog bailed and shot..or shot outright... boar up to 80 lb or sow up to hundy is the very best eating of all.
    Marty Henry and dannyb like this.

Maybe it’s all psychological. Just a “thing”. We are spoilt I guess. Free range beef, lamb & mutton, venison, domestic pork, goat, kai moana. You’re probably right fellas, maybe there’s nothing wrong with the 3 week dead calf munching feral pig. But I don’t like it! Neither do the wife & kids, and a few of the other lads will eat dump pigs. When you spend enough time carting dead stock up and down the hill and inspecting dumps for pig sign and retrieving video camera cards, and generally being surrounded by the smell of death, then I guess animals from fresh, green parts of the valley are quite a lot more attractive.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Just...say...the...word

you can certainly tell when they have been eating avocados, the fat stays runny

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    If dogging pigs the meat will be adrenaline shot. That's pretty yuck.

Always prefer shooting animals with a mouth full of feed and their tail wagging, dead before they know it. Happy meat is good meat.

You can hook the carcasses up to the elctric fence for a while and "tenderise" them again.
    No dogs here, shoot them while they are grazing the paddocks.