Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Winter Firewood take2

MSL
    I’ve got a 395 and 394, I thought you had a busted one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caretaker
    The 395 forms the rings no problem, I use a 385 on the smaller trees.

Name:  9C71DAE0-A4B9-4CFC-BCCD-E59475651816.jpeg
Views: 254
Size:  4.03 MB

Name:  3DC3887C-E0C7-464D-8533-05018A29C1C5.jpeg
Views: 253
Size:  3.67 MB
    veitnamcam, rugerman, rewd and 1 others like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Quote Originally Posted by hamsav View Post
    I have a 044 with a 24" oregon bar , the original bar was fine till I broke the rules .....yeah , I lent it out . Had it 30 odd years now ,never missed a beat.
    Yeah, never lend your chainsaw. Lots of other family things can be lent b4 a chainsaw.

I've still got my old 045 which is even older than than your 044. Long since mounted on a BT 360 2 man posthole borer.
    Bought it at a time when brands like Pioneer were still in use.

Our saws of the day were a couple of Stihl 051s (89 cc) and an 075 (111 cc). All antiques now.
    We did a lot of clear felling of old man macs. Unlimited firewood, all axe split, no mechanised softy splitters.
    Also had access to some native for firewood but I won't describe where we got that...

The 075 (probably well outgunned by smaller says today) was a superb crosscutting saw. A full day on that and my arms would start to cramp up.

Re gum. I may have imagined it, but when I first encountered old fallen trunks I'm sure I saw sparks coming off my bar tip (not roller tipped). May have imagined that, so long ago.

Got rid of our fireplace a few years ago and went gas. Then they hiked the price of gas. Pricks.
    rugerman likes this.

075/076 are still being produced for the third world markets.

They are popular milling saws in Europe.A guy in Wales imports them from Indonesia
    zimmer and trapperjohn like this.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

Quote Originally Posted by muzza View Post
    This thread reminds why I have gas-fired central heating and no longer cut firewood for anyone......
    Not for much longer ya won't...if Cindy has her way

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    I’ve got a 395 and 394, I thought you had a busted one

Errr, yes I do. Though wasn't going to mention it on an open forum, esp if I said how it got broke
    7mmsaum likes this.

Swapped some antique McCullough chainsaws plus a little cash for an 084 from jim downs in drury back in the 90s. Still have it and it gets used. Jim had a huge collection of old saws some of which were on display in the shop. He was a bit of a hoarder and had sheds full evidently.

Muzza..you can keep your gas-fired central heating. I'll stick to my beloved open fire, burning manuka and pohutukawa. There's nothing better than sitting with a whiskey in your hand, gazing into the flames of wood you cut and split and stacked yourself. And BTW, no woman ever said: "Let's make love in front of the heat pump, darling"...just saying.

Greetings All,
    Can't compete with the big boys epic chainsaw stories. Am currently using a 250mm bar top handle saw for all the smaller stuff and will move up to a bigger saw with a 450mm bar when I get to the trunks, the biggest of which is about 500 mm in dia. Both are Shindaiwa saws. Works for me.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    zimmer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger 888 View Post
    And BTW, no woman ever said: "Let's make love in front of the heat pump, darling"...just saying.
    So, the kitchen table gets dragged in front of the fire....?

Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    Greetings All,
    Can't compete with the big boys epic chainsaw stories. Am currently using a 250mm bar top handle saw for all the smaller stuff and will move up to a bigger saw with a 450mm bar when I get to the trunks, the biggest of which is about 500 mm in dia. Both are Shindaiwa saws. Works for me.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    GPM here's a small chainsaw story.
    When I lived in Oz I had no saws with me. A big pine got blown over near us and the farmer said I could have it for firewood.
    I bought a tiny Stihl 010 and set to on limbs. Once it was too much for the 010 I bought a Stihl 032. Over the course of 5 years I cut up that tree with those 2 saws. I had no trailer so the whole lot was moved in my trusty Holden Kingswood. Fully loaded boot and back seat.
    Jeez Vic can be cold in winter.
    BRADS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    GPM here's a small chainsaw story.
    When I lived in Oz I had no saws with me. A big pine got blown over near us and the farmer said I could have it for firewood.
    I bought a tiny Stihl 010 and set to on limbs. Once it was too much for the 010 I bought a Stihl 032. Over the course of 5 years I cut up that tree with those 2 saws. I had no trailer so the whole lot was moved in my trusty Holden Kingswood. Fully loaded boot and back seat.
    Jeez Vic can be cold in winter.
    Thanks for that Zimmer,
    My whole firewood collecting is low tech and on our small block. The split wood gets shifted around the corner to drying stacks. These are made of two 1.8m fence posts set up on concrete slabs. Over the posts goes 1.2m lengths of branch wood with the firewood stacked on top about 1.2m high. Late summer the dry wood gets towed up the drive with my tiny truck (Suzuki Jimny) and tiny trailer and stacked away in my dry wood shed near the house. Most of the trees were propagated by my late father from seed he collected and planted by me. I think I have a lifetime supply of wood all within 100m of the house. Plans don't always come together that well.
    Regards Grandpamac.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Swapped some antique McCullough chainsaws plus a little cash for an 084 from jim downs in drury back in the 90s. Still have it and it gets used. Jim had a huge collection of old saws some of which were on display in the shop. He was a bit of a hoarder and had sheds full evidently.
    Just hope it never needs an Oil pump.

It took me a year to track down a used one.They dont seem to make them any longer.The sprocket is plastic and it just breaks down over time.I could buy the sprocket but couldnt get the arbor off the pump.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

MSL
    Think there is three 084’s up in the shed roof at home, great saws.

All this talk about chainsaws and no one has commented on that fine looking wheelbarrow, my dad has one just like it and they're the definition of a workhorse.
    grandpamac likes this.