Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: .22 clip magazines

.22 clip magazines

I do some guntinkering in my spare time and over the last couple of weeks I have shortened Stirling 15 shot magazines down to 10 shot. Got it sussed and it takes about an hour. If you send me yours I will charge 20 dollars including return post.

You're a treasure Gary
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Auckland, until I can escape south....to Southland.
    Pm’d
    Cheers Gary
    He nui to ngaromanga, he iti to putanga.

You depart with mighty boasts, but you come back having done little.
    Sounds like a typical hunting trip !

Nice one. Bump.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Gary how would a 15 shot Krico mag conversion go chopped to 10 shot. I`m a shivering and a shaking and hid it where nobody can find it, probably including me.

Quote Originally Posted by homebrew.357 View Post
    Gary how would a 15 shot Krico mag conversion go chopped to 10 shot. I`m a shivering and a shaking and hid it where nobody can find it, probably including me.
    Does it need to be chopped? Can't you solder in a block? Would preserve the benefit of the longer spring and the original look of the gun. Also better handling of the magazine.

This trick could go well for those with 15 round Ruger 10/22 magazines as they are alot easier to extract from the rifle than a 10 round box mag.

My little Krico came only with a 5 and 10 shot mags, I was in a gun shop and saw it in a bargain bin so grabbed it. It looks ugly hanging out and makes it harder to carry , it`s a straight mag and I think the spring would need to be shortened as well to get the right pressure for ten shots. I could do it my self, but up to my bum making barrels, well someone has to make them for the boys. PM Sent, cheers, Gary.
    Last edited by homebrew.357; 25-05-2019 at 08:37 PM.
    tetawa and Tommy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by homebrew.357 View Post
    My little Krico came only with a 5 and 10 shot mags, I was in a gun shop and saw it in a bargain bin so grabbed it. It looks ugly hanging out and makes it harder to carry , it`s a straight mag and I think the spring would need to be shortened as well to get the right pressure for ten shots. I could do it my self, but up to my bum making barrels, well someone has to make them for the boys. PM Sent, cheers, Gary.
    You will see, as a result of this new legislation, that far less 5-round mags will be sold, most guns and mags for .22 will now have the obligatory/standard full 10 rounds. Result is an overall increase in the magazine capacity of standard hunting guns.

Watch the centrefire rifles too for that trend, the Howa 1500 with its 10 rd mag is now the modern standard rifle mag size, not forgetting the .303 of course.

I wonder, anyone ever come across .22 rimfire double stack magazines?

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    You will see, as a result of this new legislation, that far less 5-round mags will be sold, most guns and mags for .22 will now have the obligatory/standard full 10 rounds. Result is an overall increase in the magazine capacity of standard hunting guns.

Watch the centrefire rifles too for that trend, the Howa 1500 with its 10 rd mag is now the modern standard rifle mag size, not forgetting the .303 of course.

I wonder, anyone ever come across .22 rimfire double stack magazines?
    By double stack do you mean zig zag stack like the Remington 597 .22 magnum?

Quote Originally Posted by RUMPY View Post
    By double stack do you mean zig zag stack like the Remington 597 .22 magnum?
    Sorry, I was not being clear. I meant double stack + double feed, like with most centrefire magazines. The 597 magazine is single feed, but it looks like lower down the bullets are double (zig zag) stacked. The double stack is great for higher capacity magazines (now irrelevant) but also make it easier to reload magazines, whether by charger clip or by hand.

I have looked further into it, and the only double feed magazine in .22wmr I came across was a kel tec one which was in fact two separate .22wmr single stacks which came together at the top, like two lanes of cars only joining at the very end in orderly manner. Not sure if this arrangement would lend itself to charger reloading though.

Notice how the reviewer has not unlearned the traditional way of loading rimmed cartridges - down and backwards, instead of just down which this magazine should allow him to more conveniently do.
    Last edited by Cordite; 01-06-2019 at 12:17 AM.
    Reprosniffer likes this.

Can anyone tell me why the stirling mags were different between the 15 shot (fatter) and the 10 shot in the bolt action? I remember thinking it would be a good thing back in the day but my mates one wouldn't fit.
    That's a PITA. Mind you the 10 shot on a the bolt action seems to stick out further than a bren gun mag. If I had a spare old ratty one I'd consider shortening one for a play.

Thats of interest my daughter has lost her 15 shot for her Stirling semi auto.I was hoping to find a 10 shot to replace it. Now I need a 15 and will modify it. Anyone have a spare one ?
    Velocity is thrilling,but diameter does the real killing.

Just got a wee striling mag back from Gary. Super impressed.
    AAA++++