Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree173Likes

Thread: .303 Tank crew carbine

What new law, @Wingman?
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    What new law, @Wingman?
    OAL is now measured from the butt to the end of the rifling, no longer acceptable to have a welded/pinned/loctited on muzzle brake/extension/suppressor.
    It was challenged in court recently with the new legistation being clarified that OAL must be measured to the end of the barrels rifling.
    Turns out we are fit and propper enough to own a rifle 762mm long but an instant criminal with bank robbing tendencies at 761mm long.
    The reality of it is quite ridiculous. The common crim will hacksaw off any firearm to what ever concealable length they desire not giving a dam about F/A legistation.

Trying to make sense of our laws is a pointless past time and even more so now the police can have laws changed at whim with their uninformed, inexperienced and unprofessional opinions via order of council.

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    How much do you sell the delisle carbines for?
    Im not taking orders at this stage, the 4 on the bench are using up bits of sporters I already have and all spoken for.

Once I have all my tooling sorted and processes ironed out I " MIGHT" take a few contract builds if time allows.
    veitnamcam, Micky Duck and berg243 like this.

Wingman you are one talented individual,that's a fact.
    Your work is just brilliant and cheers for showing everyone.
    Tahr likes this.

Cool, great job!

I bet it’s LOUD?
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

Quote Originally Posted by Finnwolf View Post
    Cool, great job!

I bet it’s LOUD?
    Yes I wont be firing it from inside my tank...
    Tahr, veitnamcam, Tommy and 3 others like this.

You are one talented person, That looks awesome. Can't wait to hear what it shoots like
    Tahr likes this.

That's a thing of beauty mate. Well done.

Loving both builds!

Your method of holding the suppressor together with a modified Delisle design is excellent.

How are you planning on mounting and indexing the suppressor to the receiver?

Also did you bore out and re-rifle 303 barrels?

Nice work, looks like it shrunk in the wash.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
    OAL is now measured from the butt to the end of the rifling, no longer acceptable to have a welded/pinned/loctited on muzzle brake/extension/suppressor.
    It was challenged in court recently with the new legistation being clarified that OAL must be measured to the end of the barrels rifling.
    Turns out we are fit and propper enough to own a rifle 762mm long but an instant criminal with bank robbing tendencies at 761mm long.
    The reality of it is quite ridiculous. The common crim will hacksaw off any firearm to what ever concealable length they desire not giving a dam about F/A legistation.

Trying to make sense of our laws is a pointless past time and even more so now the police can have laws changed at whim with their uninformed, inexperienced and unprofessional opinions via order of council.
    So….long butt and thick butt-plate it is then?
    Cordite likes this.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

Quote Originally Posted by canross View Post
    Loving both builds!

Your method of holding the suppressor together with a modified Delisle design is excellent.

How are you planning on mounting and indexing the suppressor to the receiver?

Also did you bore out and re-rifle 303 barrels?
    The suppressors are held on the same way as the originals, they have a retaining nut on the barrel knox that compresses the rear plug against the action and there is a single bolt below that that screws from the front of the plug into a new threaded hole the actions lower lug which indexes it and stops it rotating. The outer tube is indexed between the front cap and rear plug with pins to keep the alignment at both ends. Two long rods are threaded into the rear plug that run forward through all the baffles set apart with spacers and tensioned through the front cap with two special allen head nuts to hold the whole assembly together. (Yet to make them but the cap screws I have in the pics look similar)

For the age of the design it was really quite clever, the rearward venting shrouded barrel ports that create an intial vacuume inside the suppressor with the 8 small vent holes in the front equaling the same total diameter as the muzzle exit nozzle which suck air in as the muzzle vents out. The front baffles have a cut in the top with half folded forward and the other half folded back which creates a spiraling vortex effect disrupting and slowing the outgoing gasses further.

The barrels are some of Johns fine vulcan .452" 1-16 twist .45acp barrels. I decided to use his stainless barrels for ease of machining, bore finish and longevity. The suppressors are made from 2014 T6 51 (aka Duralium) like the originals with a 6061 T6 alloy 2" outer tube. All parts will be hard anodized and ceracoated in matt black or Socom blue to finish which will help protect the alloy against corrosion.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
    The suppressors are held on the same way as the originals, they have a retaining nut on the barrel knox that compresses the rear plug against the action and there is a single bolt below that that screws from the front of the plug into a new threaded hole the actions lower lug which indexes it and stops it rotating. The outer tube is indexed between the front cap and rear plug with pins to keep the alignment at both ends. Two long rods are threaded into the rear plug that run forward through all the baffles set apart with spacers and tensioned through the front cap with two special allen head nuts to hold the whole assembly together. (Yet to make them but the cap screws I have in the pics look similar)

For the age of the design it was really quite clever, the rearward venting shrouded barrel ports that create an intial vacuume inside the suppressor with the 8 small vent holes in the front equaling the same total diameter as the muzzle exit nozzle which suck air in as the muzzle vents out. The front baffles have a cut in the top with half folded forward and the other half folded back which creates a spiraling vortex effect disrupting and slowing the outgoing gasses further.

The barrels are some of Johns fine vulcan .452" 1-16 twist .45acp barrels. I decided to use his stainless barrels for ease of machining, bore finish and longevity. The suppressors are made from 2014 T6 51 (aka Duralium) like the originals with a 6061 T6 alloy 2" outer tube. All parts will be hard anodized and ceracoated in matt black or Socom blue to finish which will help protect the alloy against corrosion.
    Well that's just clever. I've never seen a detail of the rear plug on an original delisle, so wasn't sure how they managed to keep everything mounted and indexed. Never knew that about the initial vacuum and pressure balancing... thank you for explaining it!

That looks awesome I wish I had the ability to make alloy end caps for the 410 version I made, I had to weld them from fits of flat bar and exhaust tube , I didnt think of indexing the rear cap to the action lug, I just made an aluminum crush washer
    Name:  20180617_202631.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  1.10 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Chilli_Dog View Post
    That looks awesome I wish I had the ability to make alloy end caps for the 410 version I made, I had to weld them from fits of flat bar and exhaust tube , I didnt think of indexing the rear cap to the action lug, I just made an aluminum crush washer
    Attachment 176594
    You should probably post more pictures of that, assembled and disassembled - I need more photos of delisles in my life.
    Cordite likes this.