Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: 577 Super Snider build and chamber reamer size

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    that slip on recoil pad will be needed for that!!!!!!
    Oh yes indeed

But it should just be a sting and long recoil
    I don't expect it to be as bad as you might think
    And I will pay particular attention to the expected finished rifle weight

if fitting recoil pad,leave it as big as possibly can......and when YOU want to fire it...open up rear cavity behind buttplate and slip in a snug fitting cylinder filled with lead from memory we could fit close to half a pound in ours...helps soak up recoil but because weight is at shoulder it doesnt effect handling or swing.heck my pump 12ga has 11oz in it!!!
    75/15/10 black powder matters

There was a pound of lead in the butt of my .72 cal musket but it made it slow and sluggish
    With it out the rifle came alive at 6 pounds even
    But it also wears a slip on butt plate also !

Quote Originally Posted by Boxton View Post
    Yes.
    Most presses use a 7/8 die
    I have snider and MH dies that use a 11/4.
    Some presses have a collet that unscrews and you can screw in the larger die.
    Mine doesn't
    Still looking for a cheep ish second press to work on these
    Some Rigby nitro and other big bore stuff also use the heavier dies too.
    @RUMPY......it it feasable for this fella to RETHREAD a std 7/8th" hole out to 1 1/4" surely there will be enough meat/metal to do so???? @Boxton local engineering firm might just be your new best friend..... OR if you are really cunning you can use TWO locating rings,one top and one bottom of the press body if you cant get it rethreaded just get it bored out to barely accept thread firmly and secure it top n bottom....

As long as there's enough steel left around the edges it could be done I think.
    1 1/4 (I assume UNC) has a tapping drill size of just over 28mm and 7/8 has a major diameter of 22.2mm.

Drilling and tapping the hole dead straight would be the most important thing.

Hi
    Thanks for suggesting these options
    Alternatively I'm still looking for a second press
    I have missed a couple...mostly because of my stupidity
    But will explore your options

@Boxton My RCBS press has a removable bushing to use snider and M-henry dies but was too short for 50 BMG so have Lee 50BMG press also if you wish to use them.
    veitnamcam, Micky Duck and Boxton like this.

Thanks Ted
    I'll take you up on that
    Great to meet you last night
    Sorry we didn't get to talk more
    B

At some stage I feel that meeting some fine fellows as Micky Duck suggests from this forum is going to become a higher and higher priority
    Especially if said fine fellows foul my feed with such finesse and fine items such as modern snider building and use of appropriate size tools
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Boxton View Post
    At some stage I feel that meeting some fine fellows as Micky Duck suggests from this forum is going to become a higher and higher priority
    Especially if said fine fellows foul my feed with such finesse and fine items such as modern snider building and use of appropriate size tools
    Well I'm doing it anyway

But would like The reamer reader to be of use to others who have different dies
    Sure I can make it sized to what my dies and magtech actually are
    But if I think it's a good idea there's a chance other equally ##### guys might want to try it also

I have
    Dies
    Brass
    20mm tool steel for the reamer. Special order for the really big cases and enough for 5 reamers . So other big bores could eventuate
    Three suitable actions

Vulcan has all the 577 barrel making tooling on hand now and likely to make my first run of barrels in around 2 months time

I can make the chamber reamer while I'm waiting for the barrels based on the bore diameter specs from tooling makers
    If the pilot is a fraction large I can reduce it on the tool and cutter grinder even after hardening and tempering

Reamer will be 6 flutes with full size rim and proper lead at the neck for potentially as big a 750 grain bullets

Have you thought of making a second, undersized reamer for making dies?

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Nolan View Post
    Have you thought of making a second, undersized reamer for making dies?
    Yes and no

Dies are out there
    The big presses are currently an issue
    But if being used in original sniders they are unlikely to need a full sizing after forming and firing

I can form cases for guys who need a few

I just want a little more data from other guys case / dies combos to calculate the reamer size that will work for the majority

Could just make for my dies and magtech but they might be under size for others to use the reamer

ok....SO why not go old school and make whackamole dies for it....pretty sure thats what sf90 was doing on the old forum...I will see if can find thread where he showed his dies,which were made at home... would save a LOT of faffing around would it not???

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 - Black powder and the cheap ass

on pages half way through..he still using press but not as we know it.....Name:  sf90 dies.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  99.7 KB

I got my two 577 Snider Bertram cases from @Fssprecision today and compared them with my own made cases formed from Magtech 24 gauge brass

Very happy with the comparative sizes

As I expected the Bertram rim is 0.35mm larger diameter
    Magtech rim is 0.15mm thicker which is a surprise
    Case base is 0.1mm smaller on the Magtech and this was probably not touched by my dies
    All other dimensions are very close

Now I just need some kind forum members to submit their fired and sized cases to increase the data set before I draw up the final reamer dimensions and cut into my huge diameter piece of tool steel
    Something fired and sized from the more common Lee dies would be great
    Micky Duck and Fssprecision like this.