Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
Like Tree307Likes

Thread: 6x45 Rem barrel

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    Do these offer any real world advantage over a 223 running heavies? I have mountains of 223 brass and am considering buying some more guns to make use of it and my 223 loading gear again.
    The main advantage the 6x45 offers over .223 is the availability of heavier and more suitable deer bullets. The .223 is still a great multi purpose cheap caetridge but the bullets on offer without going to the pricey mono's are generally very light jacketed varmint suited bullets.

6x45 broadens the usefulness of the rifle making it a great allrounder as you can still load 55gr-70gr bullets for the varmints but you can alternatively load a wide range of .243 75-100gr bullets for bigger animals.
    It a great little cartridge that almost matches the humble .308 win for variation of bullets available and very suited to woman and kids alike with its lack of recoil, although still carries enough energy to drop a decent red with a shoulder shot out to about 300m.

I have not shot my .223 rem in a long time, since I built the .22 TCM in fact. For me personally I just feel the .223 is a little too much for the varminting I do which is generally inside 300m and have been using the .22TCM and .17 Mach IV for that now.
    In my eyes the .223 is more suited to the open country varminting of wallabies, hares and rabbits to 500-600m goats to about 300m and the occasional closer range head or neck shot on bigger deer.
    .223 is also a great range cartridge with its cheap bulk ammo availability you can plink away all day with it without breaking the bank.
    So in summery the 6x45 will do all of the above but arguably adds a bit more confidence of smack down and range on deer.
    Seventenths and Mathias like this.

Do these offer any real world advantage over a 223 running heavies? I have mountains of 223 brass and am considering buying some more guns to make use of it and my 223 loading gear again.
    You definitely should build one! There's quite a few of us who really want to have a 6*45 but can't afford to just yet. Give it a go so we can live vicariously through your experiences. Cheers

PS Once the 223 version of the flush floorplate magazines for the Howa Mini make their way down here to NZ we'll have a brilliant action to build these on - happy days!

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelisreal View Post
    Once the 223 version of the flush floorplate magazines for the Howa Mini make their way down here to NZ we'll have a brilliant action to build these on - happy days!
    Absolutely correct, that rifle & flush mag combo screams make me a 6x45
    Steelisreal likes this.

Or even just the bottom metal, there's plenty of cheap slow twist Howas out there
    Mathias and Steelisreal like this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

I totally agree, that little Howa mini action is a great base for many small highly efficient wildcats.

The 7.62x 39 and 6.5 Grendel actions also lend themselves well to tinkering. There are very few mini actions out there as affordable and versatile as these Howas.
    before the Howa, getting more grunt from the .223 cartridge by necking up etc was generally a better/cheaper option than hunting down a sako or CZ action suitable to feed often the overlooked 6mm PPC for example. The 6x45 actually runs the same ballistic numbers as the 6mm PPC with 1gr or 2gr less powder with all other variables equal.

My interest has now been sparked in 6x45's cousin, the 6mmTCU which is essentially 6x45 Ackley improved, with its blown out straighter side walls and blown forward 40 deg shoulder it allows a couple of extra grain of powder meaning a gain of 150-200fps in most cases over the 6x45.

Another interesting build would be the 6.5 TCU or 6.5x45 which on paper would match the ballistics of the 6.5 Grendel. This cartridge like the 6mm TCU was developed by the late JD Jones for use in 14- 15" long barrelled Thompson Contender pistols for competition silhouette shooting but was adopted by hunters alike for its very usable velocity, range and knock down power. To get the best from these two variants, you really need either a single shot action or the mag room to load them out long. A Rem 700 or Howa mini with a floor plate could be just the key.
    Ive formed and loaded up some dummy rounds of each to show the cartridges in discussion.

Name:  20200414_104252.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  783.5 KB

I love my wee .223 and find it versitile enough....... I do carry a few of the expensive monos for deer/pigs.... but in saying that have been very impressed with the hornady bulk pack 55grn stuff
    the 50grn zmax/vmax work awesome on small stuff and wallabies
    this mini EBRG sure does look the bizo.....now to put fly in ointment/go full circle
    how light of 6mm mono can you buy and how fast can you stoke it along????? always thought something like 75grns from EBRG honking along would be an awesome deer load ,given how well 50grns work from .223

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    How light of 6mm mono can you buy and how fast can you stoke it along????? always thought something like 75grns from EBRG honking along would be an awesome deer load ,given how well 50grns work from .223
    The Barnes 6mm TTSX is 80gr. I havent tested them personally as the copper bullets are quite long and wont stabilize in my slower 1-14" twist. However I can load both the 80gr sp and 85gr HPBT to just over 3000fps with a hot load and they both stabilize in my barrel as they are shorter bullets. Personally I favour the Sierra 75gr flat base hollow points though. They shoot great at 3000fps with a more modest load.

Name:  Screenshot_20200414-194333_Video Player.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  810.1 KB

Name:  Screenshot_20200414-194423_Video Player.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  1.85 MB

Name:  Screenshot_20200414-194048_Video Player.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  1.50 MB

and Im plurry sure any deer would be in BIG trouble if you had them in your sights.

So you are better off with a slower twist in this cartridge for more velocity? How are they with a fast twist barrel and 105gr low drag pills?

So you are better off with a slower twist in this cartridge for more velocity? How are they with a fast twist barrel and 105gr low drag pills?
    Personally I have grown to like the slower twist. Ive built several others now with 1-10" twists and they show a drop in velocity with the same loads even with longer barrels than my 1-14" twist. Mine absolutely loves the 75gr HPs so I am happy running those exclusively.
    @Mathias has built a 1-8" 6x45 and has some pics and info on it on page 8 of this thread, maybe he can comment on shooting 90gr+?
    I would guess mag length would be the biggest drawback when loading the 100gr- 105gr bullets. if you cant load them long you are taking up a good chunk of powder space. In most of the repeater .223 actions Ive checked, you are limited to a max 58-59mm OAL

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Not played with anything over 85gr.....yet. I don't have anything in the box either to try, though I might get a sampler pack of 105 or 108gr Hornady ELD to try. These will be single feed to try for s&g only. @takbok did try some 105 Amax I believe in his 1:8 6x45. He may be able to offer some info.
    takbok likes this.

@Mathias, if you want to try some 95 gr Targex, happy to send you some?

You could load them long into a R.E.M. 700 or an Howa with the mag spacer taken out maybe? You would have to get the barrel throated longer though to make the most of it.

I've shot the 105gr A-max in my 1:8 6x45, 2.360" OAL to fit my Sako 75 magazine. I was getting just over 2500fps. Did the job on one deer until I switched to 62gr copper bullets.

I've also tried 95gr SMK's. I ran out of case capacity with Vihtavuori N130 so need to try a faster powder.

I've got some 90gr Gamechangers sitting here to try also.
    Mathias likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    how light of 6mm mono can you buy and how fast can you stoke it along????? always thought something like 75grns from EBRG honking along would be an awesome deer load ,given how well 50grns work from .223
    I use the 62gr GSC copper monolithics @3350fps for deer in my 6x45 - very effective! (25.5gr Reloder 7, CCI450 primers)
    Mathias likes this.