Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By gundoc
  • 1 Post By thejavelin

Thread: Advice on barrel shortening and crown

Advice on barrel shortening and crown

Sunday afternoon first time DIY recrown so need advice.

Wondering if I can use a cut-off wheel on my 4" grinder rather than use a hacksaw to shorten a barrel?
    I can make the barrel cut straighter with a cut-off wheel (I usually end up with more of an angle using a hacksaw = more filing).

But will the cut-off wheel get the barrel end too hot so affecting the metal and/or will it leave too much nasty crap in the bore?

Also which Dremel bit (if any), should I use out of these three for making the crown?

Name:  IMG_20220220_122248.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  658.2 KB
    A good job and a good wife has been the ruin of many a good hunter.

The cut-off saw is OK then the barrel needs to be carefully filed square from all sides. Do not use grinding stones for the crown! It should be cut with a proper tool or lapped with a ball on a rod to turn it (gently backward and forward like lapping a valve seat).
    Hermitage and Fssprecision like this.

Lapping compound or something like Chemico - brass door hinge pin in a drill. I've used that at a pinch to tidy up a rough crown on a .22
    What I did note is that you cannot just put the pin head into the crown area and spin away, you needed to work the drill in a angled fashion to get it to polish properly. I'm guessing thats similar to the motion gundoc is describing.
    Rough as guts, but it actually ended up with a pretty decent finish, so much so that I've used it a couple of times.

Also use foam ear plugs - push down the barrel to just before the area that you're doing the work. Just don't forget to remove
    Hermitage likes this.