Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Alloy stove chimney ?

Alloy stove chimney ?

Is there any good reason why I shouldn't use 50mm aliminium alloy tube as a hot tent stove chimney ?

I don't realisitically expect a tiny wood stove to get hot enough to melt 2mm alloy tube !
    But I might be wrong ?

Is there any gassing off from hot aluminium alloy tube that I should be considering in a reasonably confined space ?

Re visiting an old hot tent stove from a few years ago

Cheers

LBD
    Wood starts burning at 300c and typically hits 600C plus

A 5000 series aluminium melts around 650...

If you have a warm fire burning it, accidentally smother it with too much fuel, it will produce gas which can ignite and burn in the flue and ... melt the flue.

Best with a thin wall ss...
    Got-ya likes this.

K95
    Have you seen the american forum Rokslide? They're pretty into all things to do with the hot tent stoves. Bunch of DIY threads about it.

Quote Originally Posted by K95 View Post
    Have you seen the american forum Rokslide? They're pretty into all things to do with the hot tent stoves. Bunch of DIY threads about it.
    Will check it out

Two reasons; 1, melting point too low. 2, conducts heat too well, may transfer heat to tent. 3, 2mm aluminium will be heavier than stainless foil.
    Remember the 7 “P”s; Pryor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

R93
    I have a stove for my big tent. It gets red hot depending on wood used. I have a hot water attachment that will boil over on first section when shes going good. My chimney is in sections about 3ft long. Easy to dismantle and clean. Whole stove and chimney fit in a small kit bag. Dunno. Maybe first couple sections in steel and rest alloy but I doubt I would notice anything with mine even if it worked.

I am actually looking for a new stove if anyone has one. Stainless with glass door would be my preference.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    I have a stove for my big tent. It gets red hot depending on wood used. I have a hot water attachment that will boil over on first section when shes going good. My chimney is in sections about 3ft long. Easy to dismantle and clean. Whole stove and chimney fit in a small kit bag. Dunno. Maybe first couple sections in steel and rest alloy but I doubt I would notice anything with mine even if it worked.

I am actually looking for a new stove if anyone has one. Stainless with glass door would be my preference.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
    :-(

The tipi has a proper stove jack built in that is heat proof

It's all built for it
    I have a MK2 stove I'm going to build a flue for
    Because my expensive titanium stove from USA has fallen victim to the dreaded covid 19

Name:  20200207_125850.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  1.41 MB
    ANOTHERHUNTER likes this.

northdude
    fuk does it kill stoves as well
    R93, Tommy and csmiffy like this.

What diameter do the chimneys of these things usually settle on?
    Is 50mm diameter a bit skinny?

It's just that I have plans for an inbuilt outdoor fire at home and I'll be doing a really fat diameter chimney to suck the smoke up and out

Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post
    What diameter do the chimneys of these things usually settle on?
    Is 50mm diameter a bit skinny?

It's just that I have plans for an inbuilt outdoor fire at home and I'll be doing a really fat diameter chimney to suck the smoke up and out
    My stove is pretty tiny
    It's only hearing a small space and I don't want it to be like a sauna in there

50mm was perfect with a 500mm length in the mock ups
    308 likes this.

Ah, right you are - it's fat enough in proportion to the fire

Yes 125/150 for domestic sounds right
    The outdoor fire thing is just that I helped a mate build his and he had to upgrade from a smaller one to one around 250/300 diam because the smoke was all spilling out the front, but his open face on the fire is pretty tall too.
    Those tent stove things look bloody good

308.....you probably would have solved it by going taller rather than wider.........you have to get flue warm/hot so it draws air/smoke up it...hot air rises,cool air goes wherever the heck it wants.......just about every open fireplace Ive ever seen that smoked was fixed by rolling a sheet of corrigated iron and poking it down the chimney hole to increase height by 6' ish....turns a smokey dull fire into a roarer... the modern hats on logburners are designed to SLOW down the airflow....thats why the older kent type fires went like crap when they were fitted,,,,,,fire just cant vent smoke fast enough to draw properly,take the hat off and put older more open type on and fire goes properly again.

Just got stainless steel for this tent fire but have run galvanised downpipe before. Made up a split ring for the rolled seam and clamps it enough it is self supporting.Gave the fire a freshen up and filed the ring for the stainless.Name:  TentStove.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  4.40 MB

Quote Originally Posted by PillowDribbler View Post
    Just got stainless steel for this tent fire but have run galvanised downpipe before. Made up a split ring for the rolled seam and clamps it enough it is self supporting.Gave the fire a freshen up and filed the ring for the stainless.Attachment 137554
    nice stove

A bit to heavy for back packing though