Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree194Likes

Thread: Another .45acp Delisle Comando Carbine completed.

Here's a special little build I just completed, a replica of the only known prototype of the Paratrooper Delisle Commando carbine built by Stirling.
    This one has the under folding Stirling SMG stock fixed in the open position and doesnt include any of the locking latch mechanism on the grip so it can be shot on std A cat.
    I wanted a more war-torn patina look on this one rather than the perfect new oiled walnut and ceracoated metalwork.
    I rust blued the new metal parts and then aged/stressed it with wear on the high spots and aged the new walnut with a blow torch, used diesel oil and a few kicks around the carpark..
    The Duralium suppressor is finish with "Midnight" ceracoat which best matches the aged anodizing of the originals. I will buff through a few of the high spots of it with steel wool to age that a little more too.

Name:  DSC06099.jpg
Views: 1005
Size:  5.83 MB

Name:  DSC06098.jpg
Views: 862
Size:  5.89 MB

Name:  DSC06105.jpg
Views: 885
Size:  6.63 MB

Name:  DSC06110.jpg
Views: 832
Size:  5.63 MB

Name:  DSC06126.jpg
Views: 859
Size:  6.43 MB

Name:  DSC06131.jpg
Views: 822
Size:  5.04 MB

Name:  DSC06136.jpg
Views: 859
Size:  5.11 MB

Name:  DSC06141.jpg
Views: 800
Size:  5.67 MB

Name:  DSC06147.jpg
Views: 777
Size:  4.57 MB

Name:  DSC06143.jpg
Views: 781
Size:  5.76 MB
    Last edited by Wingman; 13-11-2022 at 09:01 AM.
    madjon_, Rich007, Bill999 and 14 others like this.

Mate,that is a very classy bit of kit...you have excelled yourself in every way on that one. well done.
    Maca49 likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

First class job as usual, great stuff thanks for showing.

Far out, that thing is farkin beautiful. Well done!
    kotuku likes this.

Good on you, fantastic job and work of art.
    Question. I believe that the originals had trouble ejecting spent 45 ACP cases.
    I converted a 223 into 9mm Luger and immediately found the spent cases were happy to draw out of the chamber, but because they're so short that once clear of the chamber they tipped sideways and fell off the end of the bolt.
    Had to do some imaginative carving of the receiver to get them to eject cleanly.
    Is that what troubled the Delisle ?

Not exactly, while trying to chamber and eject any pistol round in a long action rifle has simalar challenges the delisle was it's own monster.
    Many early problems were feeding from the 1911 mag. The delisle uses the origional smle mag catch and ithe 1911 mag angle is set by the angle on the front of the trigger guard so is not ideal. When the mag is topped off with 7 rounds the first 2 out are under a lot of spring tension and had a habit of dropping their nose into the mag creating a fail to feed. The new fabricated magwell has a built in feed ramp and makes the best of a crap selection of donor mag.
    The next bad choice of scrap parts to build them from was the .308 extractor, they due to the counter bored bolt face, the .308 extractor didnt hold onto the .45acp brass tight enough to eject with any authority when slapped against the new spring steel side ejector the protrudes into the bolt face to snap the brass free of the sloppy extractor hold. Often the brass dropped out of the extractor before getting to the ejector due to the vertical pressure of passing over the next round popping up as the mag as the bolt clears it.

To fix these shortfalls I have refined the mag angle, hight and feed ramp shape of the mag housing and make a custom extractor that works as a controled feed system on the way in and holds the spent case tightly in the recessed bolt face until it strikes the spring steel ejector on the way out.
    Micky Duck and Finnwolf like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
    Here's a special little build I just completed, a replica of the only known prototype of the Paratrooper Delisle Commando carbine built by Stirling.
    This one has the under folding Stirling SMG stock fixed in the open position and doesnt include any of the locking latch mechanism on the grip so it can be shot on std A cat.
    I wanted a more war-torn patina look on this one rather than the perfect new oiled walnut and ceracoated metalwork.
    I rust blued the new metal parts and then aged/stressed it with wear on the high spots and aged the new walnut with a blow torch, used diesel oil and a few kicks around the carpark..
    The Duralium suppressor is finish with "Midnight" ceracoat which best matches the aged anodizing of the originals. I will buff through a few of the high spots of it with steel wool to age that a little more too.

Attachment 210109

Attachment 210110

Attachment 210111

Attachment 210112

Attachment 210113

Attachment 210114

Attachment 210115

Attachment 210116

Attachment 210117

Attachment 210119
    OMG you used an LSA action!!!!
    We’re you forced to by Dave?

Quote Originally Posted by omark View Post
    Awesome bit of work mate….

Quote Originally Posted by omark View Post

Ha yeah and I thought of you as I cut it up!
    The finest replica of a rare rifle deserved to be made of the finest build of scarce SMLE..
    Micky Duck likes this.

The finest replica of a rare rifle deserved to be made of the finest build of scarce SMLE..
    I’ve got just the action… a 1924 no1 mk5 trials…..

A nice aged finish that looks good. I made a Sterling folding stock copy of that same one-off model in 1998. I believe the original owner still has it. I am working on a small batch of standard models at present to try and catch up on back orders. Life is just too short!

Yeah I'll cut that one up for you.. that 1400yd rear aperture sight will be a great improvement on the Delisle

wcm
    As all the others have said: Fantastic work!
    I’m surprised by just how popular these have remained!!

God, that prototype paratrooper carbine would kick like something that kicks really really really hard, I'll be bound!

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger 888 View Post
    God, that prototype paratrooper carbine would kick like something that kicks really really really hard, I'll be bound!
    It's a. 45acp pistol round with a big suppressor.. it kicks like a .22lr
    Micky Duck likes this.