Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By 38 South

Thread: Browning Xbolt rebarrel, maybe.

sneakywaza I got

Browning Xbolt rebarrel, maybe.

I know there are a few gunsmith types lurking about the place, so the day's question put out to the universe: How hard is it really to remove a browning barrel without fucking things up?, will a rem700 barrel turn down and thread to fit? I have an Xbolt that if it's too difficult to flog off (.270) I might turn it into a 6mmRem AI just coz. Rem barrel in .243 cause 9 twist supports the 105 Targex just fine. Rem take off barrels have proved to be very good for me on T3's a number of times, and cost effective vs Trueflight for little to no gain if the platform is sorted from the get go.

I was warned off considering rebarrelling a stainless 223 xbolt as the galling nature of the stainless used can often strip out the reciever threads. I don't know if this applies to the larger stainless actions.

The bigger blued x-bolt actions are doable for sure.

I've had 3 X-Bolt barrels removed/fitted by experienced gunsmiths for various reasons without any problems, doesn't sound like it's going to suit you but I have a new X-Bolt .308 barrel here surplus to requirements.
    Just going to take a look around the next bend...

I've taken one apart. Wasn't an issue. Was blued.

Keep up with updates if you proceed, we looked into this awhile ago to see if we could make a 6ackley true flight barrel thats currently on a arisaka action fit a xbolt action. Decided if we were going to do it we were better off buying a xbolt 243 and getting it reamed

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by 38 South View Post
    I've had 3 X-Bolt barrels removed/fitted by experienced gunsmiths for various reasons without any problems, doesn't sound like it's going to suit you but I have a new X-Bolt .308 barrel here surplus to requirements.
    Interesting, .308 on a long action would allow for seating out pills long with a full case, instead of single feed or load short to suit mag

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by Trav-6mmrem View Post
    Keep up with updates if you proceed, we looked into this awhile ago to see if we could make a 6ackley true flight barrel thats currently on a arisaka action fit a xbolt action. Decided if we were going to do it we were better off buying a xbolt 243 and getting it reamed
    Short action though, mag length won't let you use the high bc pills without single feed.

Yeah 100% agree, long action would be the way I'd go, my Oldman loves his ackley but wanted a modern action to replace his arisaka action, he only uses 90gr noslers so wasn't to fussed on the long high bc pills.
    What sort of speeds are you trying to achieve?
    I'm currently pushing 105 amax at 3085 out of my 6mm rem with 2209.
    Have a string of imr4831 and superformance to try when I next get some range time. Hoping for 3150

Yes the risk of galling exists even in the larger x bolt receiver. I experienced it once when trying to remove a barrel.
    Before going ahead with a project like that, I would try a few dummy rounds from a full mag to see if they all feed ok even if you can’t completly close the bolt on them in your current chamber.
    I am not sure if you will have enough material on a Remington barrel , as the thread of the browning is something like 1” by 32 tpi which is superfine thread.