Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: A build for the damaged?

If I had seen it before I'd ordered another I would have bought this, and yes get it cut to 18in.
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi-Hunter View Post
    Who will tell me about these AR's are they any good? if the barrel is cut from 24 to 16.5 or there about will it run?
    KH
    Yes Stag are perfectly OK I think, been in the business for 10+ years and Ive not yet seen a bad review. Personally I think they are one of the better ARs in that price range from what I can read and Ive read a lot! hahaha. I was going to buy the stag Model4 (standard rifle) but got a deal on a colt M4 so went with that.

Put it this way at that price if no one buys it in the next few months I will try to get it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VyPIXZJ2es

Re-reading your first post I think a semi-auto loader is worth considering even if not an AR15. There are carbon Ar15s as well which reduce the weight further seem to be similar to the alloy bodies in terms of price. Stag also do a LH model and that in fact was their first gun I think. From what I can read its a body and BCG swap out.

The others would be look up NEA 15 on TM they are under $2k as well.
    Last edited by steven; 21-11-2014 at 07:20 PM.
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    Yes Stag are perfectly OK I think been in the business for 10+ years and Ive not yet seen a bad review. Personally I think they are one of the better ARs in that price range from what I can read. I was going to buy Model4 but got a deal on a colt M4 so went with that.

Put it this way at taht price if no one buys it in the next few months I will try to get it I think to make up a DMR rifle.
    Thanks Steve
    That Winchester I posted was about 600.00 then the price of the Suppressor and scope and it shoots great.
    So for a 1K + could be out there doing it 1700.00 + well how much out there am I,
    My mate wants his back soon as he's away hunting and said I could use it again on his return.
    But we all like our own and his is a bit to heavy.
    So want to make this rifle what ever it is a personal unit, i.e. fit( as in the holding also) and weight are what I am thinking.
    KH
    The Voice of Reason, Come let us Reason together...

sturg4
    Name:  005 (2).jpg
Views: 597
Size:  836.6 KB

I regard this as the classic 223 shot. Dead and didn't even know it. This shot keeps the animal on its feet for a few seconds long enough to take its mate or mates if you want them.

No meat damage. A bit of trim maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
    Attachment 31356

I regard this as the classic 223 shot. Dead and didn't even know it. This shot keeps the animal on its feet for a few seconds long enough to take its mate or mates if you want them.

No meat damage. A bit of trim maybe.
    Oh mate ya didn't have to hit it with the truck I know they get a little slow with a cut load of 1080
    On the other hand that's where I put it if I can't make the head neck shot, in the engine room heart lung.
    Did it go up on the hind legs?
    You will be eating well this week.
    KH

sturg4
    Oh mate ya didn't have to hit it with the truck I know they get a little slow with a cut load of 1080
    On the other hand that's where I put it if I can't make the head neck shot, in the engine room heart lung.
    Did it go up on the hind legs?
    You will be eating well this week.
    KH
    You dirty bastard. Yes a cunt load of 1080 would slow anything up. I am not sure though if its a official measure, like Lethal/Dose though.

That is an exit wound. Hole is tiny but a good bit of trauma inside.

Stay away from the heart which is a lower and closer to the front leg than where that bullet passed.

Heart shot will run no matter what the calibre (within reason) Out on the tussock they get some speed up and a stag can cover 100/300 metres. In the bush these would have been a lost animals as the only indication of a hit was the angle of the ears. Their heart had been totally destroyed in most cases.

They die in mid flight with no indication of a hit except the angle of the ears.

I always watch the ears as they are the best indicator of a shot.

Often they do go up on backlegs. This one ears flattened and were held at an odd angle, it trotted a few yards to the other deer and took a couple backward staggering steps.

Yes it is very good eating.
    Last edited by Scribe; 22-11-2014 at 10:09 AM.
    veitnamcam likes this.

I hate heart shots with a passion, anyone I take hunting is instructed to aim for the lungs or neck.
    puku likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
    You dirty bastard. Yes a cunt load of 1080 would slow anything up. I am not sure though if its a official measure, like Lethal/Dose though.

That is an exit wound. Hole is tiny but a good bit of trauma inside.

Stay away from the heart which is a lower and closer to the front leg than where that bullet passed.

Heart shot will run no matter what the calibre (within reason) Out on the tussock they get some speed up and a stag can cover 100/300 metres. In the bush these would have been a lost animals as the only indication of a hit was the angle of the ears. Their heart had been totally destroyed in most cases.

They die in mid flight with no indication of a hit except the angle of the ears.

I always watch the ears as they are the best indicator of a shot.

Often they do go up on backlegs. This one ears flattened and were held at an odd angle, it trotted a few yards to the other deer and took a couple backward staggering steps.

Yes it is very good eating.
    Enjoy sounds like you have shot a lot, in the last 16 years or so almost everything is head and neck I have got to the stage that if I can't make it, then there is always another one somewhere
    Nice interlude but the real problem is to find or make a light weight rifle in 1/9 & .223.
    Talked to Digit last night very helpful not shore on a AR build, but what I am thinking I need to be as close to what I am after or the $$$$$$ will run away
    Is there someone on this forum that builds stocks? there are some .223's on TM at the moment for under a K will they shoot????
    The thing is .223 is a middle of the road for me.
    As if I am going to hunt deer it would have been the 308 if goats in some places 22-250, rabbits shotgun longer shots .22 mag or.223
    But now in these last few years if I can get out- light weight needs to be the bigger picture and able to control the rifle safely or I could lose my arms license which was pointed out as I thought about E cat. so I am staying A cat.
    The .223 cross over most of the above, and I think a can still shoot head and neck rabbits and goats it doesn't matter, as they fold up anyway or the goat wont go far and after you have shot his mates you can finish the job well that's how I remember it , the culls would be 500 plus for a weekends work then they went down to the 350+ twice a year. those hills at the moment are far to high for me and now hope to do some drive by 4x4 to the door.
    Anyway I'll post so some one can help on the main problem on a light weight good shooting bunny gun suppressed.
    KH

Come on you blokes, this is a needed project.
    no one has said about these guys @Shooting systems.
    Have e mailed for cost.
    Looked over seas last night for ideas, saw an AR15 that they had taken 2lb off for a kid. 4lb rifle. The kid is hitting steel @600.
    Well I shoot ducks with a Benelli 20g light weight and cut butt, I need light to continue shooting it's not the main focus but its good if you can
    In the reading one says 18 barrel the other says 20 no less as the .223 needs the speed.
    This is out of my league. Any thoughts on this if I build something??

Name:  0_0_0_0_250_188_csupload_36970419_large.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  116.0 KB

those chassis system type stocks are bloody expensive, but what ever floats ya boat.
    the windham carbon you had a look at is reasonably cheap, good quality, light, accurate and if well kept, they will hold their value so the net loss is minimal anyway.
    you could do worse than one of those, but a bolt action will defiantly be cheaper.
    greg

Quote Originally Posted by greghud View Post
    those chassis system type stocks are bloody expensive, but what ever floats ya boat.
    the windham carbon you had a look at is reasonably cheap, good quality, light, accurate and if well kept, they will hold their value so the net loss is minimal anyway.
    you could do worse than one of those, but a bolt action will defiantly be cheaper.
    greg
    Thanks Greg
    It's the concept of the design and light weight I am looking at, and yes the AR may still be in the programme.
    I am not totally sold out on it 3 gun, its a bunny rifle with out let + A build for the damaged?
    KH

Sticks for the damaged or just need a rest.

In the looking for the light weight rifle, I came across this bipod shooting sticks.
    Now the thing that draws me is the way they support the rifle.
    There are a lot of different stick out there, but for a left hand that can go passed the mag well, I am waiting for them to arrive
    Hopefully they will work well for me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNLz...TNM7d9vf7KWQIQ
    Someone using this set up? Let me know.
    KH

Come on you blokes, this is a needed project.
    no one has said about these guys @Shooting systems.
    Have e mailed for cost.
    Looked over seas last night for ideas, saw an AR15 that they had taken 2lb off for a kid. 4lb rifle. The kid is hitting steel @600.
    Well I shoot ducks with a Benelli 20g light weight and cut butt, I need light to continue shooting it's not the main focus but its good if you can
    In the reading one says 18 barrel the other says 20 no less as the .223 needs the speed.
    This is out of my league. Any thoughts on this if I build something??

Attachment 31425
    Yeah I had one of those stocks on my 50 cal,
    Was a good all round stock, not much different to an XLR maybe a bit shorter.
    The cheek rest is a bit rough with a bigger cal but no drama.
    The only downside of this stock compared to the xlrs I've had is you have to remove the butt to extract the bolt.
    Compared to normal stocks these add a lot of weight but also offer a very stable platform

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The barrel has been ordered.

Well after sometime waiting and working out which options would work.
    I have gone with a re barrel job in 1/9 twist on a A bolt that I have in 22-250, easy to do with a box mag, and just push out the pin in the bolt head.
    Replace with a .223 head.
    If I don't like it then throw the reamer up it and return it to 22-250 again with a 1/9 twist it's a win either way.
    If Boyds get their act together, I hope to put a featherweight thumbhole stock on it.
    At this stage there has been no response from them.?
    KH

A bolt stock update

Boyd's didn't get their act together, So I found Cameron Hatcher in Australia a stock maker, as posted elsewhere.
    http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...01/#post337970

Well the stock has been done and I hope to get it in the next week or two.
    It's a basic stock for a working rifle, he has top line walnut if you are into that.
    There was a small delay as he broke a finger. never the less have found this man very good to deal with.
    KH
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Kiwi-Hunter; 31-03-2015 at 10:55 AM.