Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: building a 6.506 what do i need to know

northdude
    does anyone have truflites email address the one ive got doesn't seem to work

@northdude have you considered a 6.5-06 Imp?

A mate of mine did one and it rivals my 264 win mag with less powder. You can neck down 280AI brass and go for it...

Just a thought.

The fast 6.5's are flat shooters and drop game well, they do tend to be hard on barrels and the killing capacity of the cartridge is limited by the bore diameter at the end of the day.

Good Luck with the build, I look forward to keeping an eye on it.
    Warm Barrels!

northdude
    Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
    Thats the address im trying keep getting error messages

northdude
    Quote Originally Posted by 300_BLK View Post
    @northdude have you considered a 6.5-06 Imp?

A mate of mine did one and it rivals my 264 win mag with less powder. You can neck down 280AI brass and go for it...

Just a thought.

The fast 6.5's are flat shooters and drop game well, they do tend to be hard on barrels and the killing capacity of the cartridge is limited by the bore diameter at the end of the day.

Good Luck with the build, I look forward to keeping an eye on it.
    havnt considered it I was going to seat bullets straight into 25 06 brass and fire form it as I go ill see if there is a reamer for it and what dies are like to get hold of

northdude
    Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    Thats the address im trying keep getting error messages
    dumb arse left out the first e
    chainsaw likes this.

i rechambered a 7mm08 tikka to 280 with good results, mitch maxberry done the work

even with the 08 case he had to set back the barrel to avoid the straighter case which would have left a step in the case it also ment It got a new 3 oclock caliber stamp

reaming a standard barrel is pretty cost effective I think the whole process was under 250 including postage

northdude
    I want to get rid of this barrel anyway its to skinny and heats up to fast to do informal target shooting which i do more than hunting 3 shots max and you have to wait ages for it to cool

northdude
    can anyone recommend a good gunsmith possibly Auckland or north island who can possibly supply chamber and fit a barrel ive sent a couple of emails but havnt had any replys yet only had this kind of work done once before but it took fukn forever and came back with swarf still in the rifle not sure how transporting it will go but I close enough id consider dropping and picking it up

Get Grant at Trueflite to do the whole job. He can also get it Ceracoat/KG coated to match bluing if thats the look you want. Excellent service.
    jakewire and northdude like this.

northdude
    sent them an email with what I wanted to do and asked them if its the way to go about it and any suggestions and price etc havnt heard back yet tho

Try Mitch Maxberry Lower Hutt.
    mr.max@xtra.co.nz
    kiwijames likes this.

can anyone recommend a good gunsmith possibly Auckland or north island who can possibly supply chamber and fit a barrel ive sent a couple of emails but havnt had any replys yet only had this kind of work done once before but it took fukn forever and came back with swarf still in the rifle not sure how transporting it will go but I close enough id consider dropping and picking it up
    Dean Maisey in tauranga
    Arthur Cleland in Hamilton

They are online and have email addresses.

sent them an email with what I wanted to do and asked them if its the way to go about it and any suggestions and price etc havnt heard back yet tho
    I emailed trueflight a couple of months ago enquiring about chambering and fitting a new barrel. Replied within a week. $1050 all up.
    northdude likes this.

northdude
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobba View Post
    I emailed trueflight a couple of months ago enquiring about chambering and fitting a new barrel. Replied within a week. $1050 all up.
    was that including purchasing the barrel what did you get sounds about in my price range