Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Carport Cladding into garage

To answer the question you actually asked I've done it with ply the couple of times I've done it. I would also go and look at your local demo yard and see if they have anything that might work, you might be in the right place at the right time....
    m101a1 likes this.
    may be sarcastic may be a bad joke

Firstly my resume, NZ trained LBP builder with more years under my belt than I care to remember. Following the adage of do it right, do it once....
    Firstly, if it's a carport then I'm going to assume the floor is level with surrounding ground, water ingress WILL be an issue, lay a topping slab 100mm concrete, with black polythene underneath, if you want to go wild, incorporate some 50mm sheet polystyrene insulation under the slab (but on top of the poly) this will make a HUGE difference to warmth and keeping rising damp at bay (which will attack anything inside your garage over time)
    Framing, you can either use std 4x2 H3.2 (above code but it'll last for ever and never rot out so worth the slightly extra spend) and if you're going to line it then you may as well insulate the walls too. For cladding I'd go vertical corrugate (flashing openings is tricky) but it'll last for and look good for ages and there's always corrugate going cheap on fb marketplace (don't forget to use a compatible underlay, this'll stop the iron sweating on the inside)
    Thats how I'd do it, it won't be "cheap" but it will be cost effective and done properly it'll last and give you a dry enclosed space, oh and for roller doors, get a s/h one, cheap as chips and not much can go wrong with them, I used one on my "shed" $200 off of marketplace, don't forget the rebate in topping slab for roller door, otherwise you'll have an outdoor/indoor flow you won't appreciate

As for consents etc, which you said you're not too fussed about, you may find the following useful:
    https://www.building.govt.nz/project...building-work/
    Ben-tard, m101a1, XR500 and 1 others like this.
    expect nothing, appreciate everything - and there's ALWAYS something to appreciate