Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: case tumbler

Quote Originally Posted by cambo View Post
    I'm trying to work out RPM's to make something similar.
    @deye223 What pulley sizes did you use? And what rpm is the motor turning at?
    I am part way thru building a clone of his. (Must remember to send him some royalties!) If he doesn't reply real soon and i don't want to steal his glory, but he did post the motor details early on. It is standard 1400 rpm. He didn't post the pulley sizes but you can work it out. Watching his video you can count the drum revs/minute and work back from there.

sorry fellas i was hacked and have just got my modem up and running again (pricks) they took 24.6 gig in 2hrs ?

now the pulleys are 5" and 21/4" if i was doing it again i would change the 21/4 to 3" and yes the donk is 1400rpm

now the shaft size will alter the drum speed i have 1/2" and would rather 20mm but will think about changing it one

day .

shit i procrastinated on this for 2 years and then said to me self ef it i'm gunna do it and went out a bought a welder

and did it so it will be a loong time before i change it unless it shits itself but looking at the weay i built it i don't think

it will , you know back yard engineering it is either under engineered or built like a brick shit house and i prefer the latter .....
    cambo, 308 and Beaker like this.

Gone but not forgotten
    Question for ‘Dye’.

What do you think the optimum RPM is for a tumbler drum the size of yours?

Timing your video shows it is doing about 36 RPM, and in the commentary you seem to be suggesting that it is too slow. But later in the thread somebody asked if you had changed it to slow it down (though I haven’t seen where you had suggested that this was necessary) and you said that you had not.

I am asking because I am making a tumbler with a drum of a similar diameter to yours, and I am trying to determine pulley sizes, etc. Taking the pulley sizes (allowing for -6mm to obtain Pitch Circle Diameter of the pulleys) and the ‘driving rod’ diameter you have used, and deducing that the outer diameter of the tumbler rim the driving rod bears on is about 178mm, I calculated that the drum would be doing just over 40 RPM. A bit more than the video shows it doing, but I suppose that in a driving system like this, 10% slippage is quite possible.

Thanks in Advance.
    Red

Gone but not forgotten
    Oops - got your name wrong. Sorry, deye223.

yeah that's about right i think and i stress think with more speed it would be to rough on the brass even though the drum is FULL of hot water and this helps cushion the blow

after running it severl times i am more than happy the way it does the brass .

cheers D

deye223 is there any reason to buy a bigger motor than your one? Looked at the site and they had a huge range. You don't need the motor going flat out anyway? Getting the bits together finally. Thanks.

nope the 1/3 hp is more then enough even with a 40lb drum

Just awaiting quote for freight from Oz for the motor. Thanks. Just doing 400 243 cases for the new gun.

thats gunna be a lot as they are heavy

Deye223 the steel is 30mm/30mm/2mm? The cases are unrelated but the dollar is going to make kiwi hunters fade if it goes to 40 vs the yank $. Your own tumbler is adding another dimension to reloading.Getting there.

yeah that will do it you can use smaller but i like the chunky look

Check out trademe. Get some good motors that would be suitable for $15-$50.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

I have this made already for someone who is making their own tumbler ........ make me a good offer .... these bits are stupidly expensive ..... watertight

Name:  20150808_140238.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  754.1 KB
    Name:  20150808_140252.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  816.0 KB
    NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT HURTS, HOW DARK IT GETS OR HOW FAR YOU FALL , .....
    YOU ARE NEVER OUT OF THE FIGHT . (Marcus Luttrell)

Hahaha that is EXACTLY what I've made. There's a Chinese guy on Avondale called Tap World or something that sells all the bits for around $50. 150mm push on cap, bit of pipe, and the spin on lid with o-ring. I glued a couple of bits of conduit in mine to act as agitators

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  93.9 KB
    Kscott and SlimySquirrel like this.

Deye223 my motor is on its way. Can you tell me what pillow bearings you used. Please see this selection and see what ones you have used. Thanks. I need the right size to go with your rods too?

Housing Pillow Block - Ball Bearing Unit Components - Industrial Bearings - Farrell Bearings