Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: The CURSE

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar

The CURSE

A good mate of mine had a 243 Sako 75 that I really liked. It was light and portable and killed as well as anything. We discuss the merits of a versatile 243 with a bit of length and faster twist to sling bigger pills.
    I bought a 6BR earlier built on a semi tricked Rem700. It was fun but impractical. It did have a new Trueflight barrel on it with a fast twist and plenty of length @ 26" I decided that with the 1:8 barrel I could rechamber to 243AI, flog off the Varmint stock and scope and put it on a bit of a diet.
    Thats where it all started to go south.
    The new barrel should have been the first omen. It was only new because the original barrel I had fluted in an attempt to get some weight down walked in the mill and was toast. Grant at Trueflight was awesome. A new barrel off the shelf was fitted and for the cost of the fluting I was back to scratch with the tube.
    Jason from Senator was next on the hit list. A LH carbon stock was ordered. The hoodoo extended to Tauranga and it took a few goes and quite a few months before a usable stock was in my mitts.
    Whilst waiting for a stock the barreled action went to Trueflite for re-chamber to 243AI. The bad luck did not want to spread itself around too much so that thankfully went to plan.
    Once finally assembled I had ordered a Z5 Swaro for glass to sit in Talley rings. I think we went through 3 different pairs of rings and a lot of sweat before we finally found the reason it was such a bitch to lap. The receiver was on the piss with the scope holes drilled out of line.
    Gunsmith number one (may or may not have) re-drilled the holes true but they were too close to accept any rings. Aaaagh. So being a good mate I decided to flick off some bad luck to poor ol Abe. No sweat we figured. On a jig and in the mill it can't go wrong. Now the poor old receiver was looking a bit like swiss cheese so a quick pass over with the tig and off to the electroplater for a pretty nickel finish will tidy up all sins. No. Denied.
    My action was a funny one and would not accept the nickel other than a hot rod bright and shiny finish. Oh well, it will look original anyway I suppose.
    One courier to the NI and another set of rings only to find it was still on the piss. So more courier work off down south again and more machining. This needed further nickel work and this turned to shit as well with backlogs and other issues. I was starting to really feel for poor old Abe. I told him it was cursed, but he was not one to turn away from a challenge.
    We finally fixed the CURSE by throwing away the receiver and swapping it out for another! Can't go wrong from there eh!
    Now the only thing left from the original rifle was the bolt, and that even had been modified far beyond its factory guise.
    Even once back in my hands and back together the Curse tried to give more grief with a small headspace problem. Fired brass chambered before fitting but would not after? A quick trip to Trueflight and that was sorted.

So after 14 months it has finally come together.

THE CURSE

Name:  IMG_0365.jpg
Views: 1384
Size:  47.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0364.jpg
Views: 1296
Size:  44.4 KB

Big thanks to
    Jason @ Senator Stocks. We certainly learnt a lot and thanks for everything Jason. Would definitely recommend Jason as a straight up guy to deal with who stands behind his product. Its good stuff too
    Abe tuiman. You poor bastard. Thanks man for all your efforts and hassle.
    Grant @ Trueflight barrel making good guy
    Ginga You cunt. This was a dumb idea!
    Sneeze Thanks for the hook up and advise
    Proudkiwi, baldbob and The Claw reloading data (baldbob for what not to do haha).
    I'm sure Ive missed a bunch of you but this has been a rather arduous exercise.
    Think twice about making guns as a T3 sounds like not a bad idea from here!

It is finally shooting well with a few powder dilemmas but as of Easter I have yet to shake the curse proper. Went for a walk, April Fools day of all the days. It seamed a fitting day to blood the CURSE. Managed to drop my newly acquired Geovids down a scree slip and scratch every lens as well as pull a muscle in my back and end up walking ½ speed off the tops looking like the hunchback of Notre Dame.
    Ces't la Vie!

So if you see a guy, all hunched up roaming the Kawekas, cursing and mumbling to himself, holding a black LH rifle I suggest you stay well away or you too may catch………..
    THE CURSE!
    Last edited by kiwijames; 09-04-2013 at 11:28 PM.
    sneeze, sako75, tui_man2 and 7 others like this.

Caretaker
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

ebf
    Sad news about the geovids, man. I'm really enjoying the CRF.

Definitely cursed, lemme know if you need to dispose of it
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

That's the best rifle build story I've ever read. Thanks for sharing.
    VIVA LA HOWA

AB Precision
    Arrr i seen it again

least things are going well ......now
    You will be happy to know the action has been a dream on the other project so that part is broken

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Well that has settled it then. I will stick with waking up, deciding I need a rifle, walking into a shop and buying one. Sorted!
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

I can see your problem...the bolt handle has been fitted to the wrong side.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    That'll be it Spook. It was on the cack from the get go.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    Bugger bet me to it, I was reading down hoping nobody had said it yet

Sounds like a frustrating mission James.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Well that has settled it then. I will stick with waking up, deciding I need a rifle, walking into a shop and buying one. Sorted!
    That doesnt work all the time either Rushy even the "high end" factory rifles have "issues"

Another reason why I run-in/accuracy test/load develop all my builds before they go out to clients.

Jeeze KJ, i would have started crying and curled up in a ball in a dark corner a 'long time' ago.....can only get better from now on!......(Tui ad)
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

AB Precision
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    That doesnt work all the time either Rushy even the "high end" factory rifles have "issues"

Another reason why I run-in/accuracy test/load develop all my builds before they go out to clients.
    Ah so how many rounds does it take to run in a termainator on a rem 700?

Banned
    thank fuck after talking to you i went 260ai!!!!its a nice looking rig KJ go the 243eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze!!.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post

Makes them worth double the build then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. So please forgive my sausage fingers!!!
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Righto James now tell the truth about how your flash harry reloads (the first batch) were shite and outshot by straight 243 factory 95 sst's! 1.5 inch groups to well under 1/2 inch. Man that gave me a LOT of pleasure when that happened!