Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: DIY Gun Safe

Given the changes that are proposed re: making some of the present cat A's semi-autos into cat E's "cause I say so" an E safe might be the safer bet.

regards

Thanks Nibblet,

Much appreciated but I actually managed to get one through a friend of a friend closer to home (tauranga).

Appreciate the offer tho.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Nibblet View Post
    I have a Buffalo River A-cat safe you can have for $200 if you want. Was going to use it to replace my school locker but will get E-cat safe shortly. Think its the same as the one listed for $330 odd
    Gun Safes - Hunting and Outdoor Supplies
    Can post a photo if your interested

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    Given the changes that are proposed re: making some of the present cat A's semi-autos into cat E's "cause I say so" an E safe might be the safer bet.

regards
    What sort of thing are they talking about now?

@wirehunt Seems the recent butt slapping the Police got over mis-applying Cat-E rules to Cat-A have caused them to try and get the regs/law changed such that anything they deem to be Cat-E can be made Cat-E just cause they say so. Kind of a paraphrase I know but I wouldnt buy a AR1/15 right now unless you are happy to get a Cat-E licence, and hence safe.

:/

"07 December 2012 Arms Amendment Bill 285 passed third reading"

National Shooters Association NZ

Has some more info.

If its got that far its very likely it will go through...

Also in the USA AR10s, Ar15s and AK47s, AK74s are likely to get "severly" restricted (haha its the US right!). I would hazard a guess that what ever happens there will flow onto us so the Police's/Pollies butts are covered if anything happens.

NB. The army it seems also thinks that semi-autos are dangerious (no sh** sherlock, duh its a gun) so there may well be considerable "professional" pressure to limit semi's, lots of politics Im sure.

Me, I only want bolt-action anyway so no biggee, present Cat-A should be fine for me, though (F)TR rifle has a pistol like grip very often so who knows.

regards

Ejected
    Fuck me, we are turning into aussie.

When you listen to (US) Pollies saying there is no reason to own a AK47 / M16 then you know you are the wrong side of a purely emotive argument. The public wants to "feel safe" and the Pollies saying they will make them feel safer from those nasty gun nuts who think guns are fun.. I mean jumping out of a plane with a parachute is fun but of no reason than you like doing it....we take away parachutes as well? uh no. Fast cars banned? ppl far more likey to speed in those, lets ban those as well.

Annoying thing is when to came down to it it actually took me a while to think of someone balanced enough as my second reference for getting my FAL. Most ppl I know would say no on principle, ie that guns are bad so dont give him a licence, not that I am. eg All my childrens friends mothers banned "war toys" so the kids just picked up sticks and ran around "shooting" those.....so a toy gun ban so worked....not...tried to do the same with war based PS3 games, now they come around to my place....doh.

</rant>

Ejected
    FTR is bolt action so doesn't matter about pistol grip. And that bill has been changed slightly on the D/L so police can't dictate whats E-cat out of personal preference. (I think)....

Just buy my safe and you will be sweet.

Got one of these on trademe to hold ammo, bolts and mags....should get it this weekend, I'll comment on how well I think its made.

Anti-burglary Large Electronic Digital Safe | Trade Me

@nibblet got an updated link on what the police are and are not allowed to do?

@nibblet got an updated link on what the police are and are not allowed to do?
    Arms (Military Style Semi-automatic Firearms and Import Controls) Amendment Bill 285-2 (2011), Government Bill &ndash; New Zealand Legislation

Ok, so while not the police, nothing stopping the police requesting,

"The Governor-General may by Order in Council do any or all of the following things:

describe a kind of component as a pistol grip for the purposes of the definition in section 2 of military style semi-automatic firearm:

“(b) declare semi-automatic firearms (other than pistols) of a stated make and model to be military style semi-automatic firearms for the purposes of this Act:

“(c) declare semi-automatic firearms (other than pistols) of a stated description to be military style semi-automatic firearms for the purposes of this Act:

“(d) define or describe features of a semi-automatic firearm (other than a pistol) as features of a military style semi-automatic firearm for the purposes of this Act.

Which means the same thing really.....

Ok, so while not the police, nothing stopping the police requesting,

"The Governor-General may by Order in Council do any or all of the following things:

describe a kind of component as a pistol grip for the purposes of the definition in section 2 of military style semi-automatic firearm:

“(b) declare semi-automatic firearms (other than pistols) of a stated make and model to be military style semi-automatic firearms for the purposes of this Act:

“(c) declare semi-automatic firearms (other than pistols) of a stated description to be military style semi-automatic firearms for the purposes of this Act:

“(d) define or describe features of a semi-automatic firearm (other than a pistol) as features of a military style semi-automatic firearm for the purposes of this Act.

Which means the same thing really.....

No it doesn't mean the same thing, not by a long way, there was pretty much this same provision in the last Arms Act, just a bit broader.

Got one of these on trademe to hold ammo, bolts and mags....should get it this weekend, I'll comment on how well I think its made.

Anti-burglary Large Electronic Digital Safe | Trade Me
    I do hope it's better than some of those digital ones on youtube. Rock them 15deg, drop them and they open - hey presto

Well possible, however they are supposed to be bolted down....and are only for anti- small kids and casual thieves...

I'll try rocking it and pushing it over....if its crap I will say so.

Just found this as well no silly digital key board,

GUN SAFE 5guns | Trade Me

Feedback is appreciated, ie if they are a joke, let me know, but having looked at 2 budget ones in the local shops that are $100+ more...

I see your point ie youtube,

How to break into most digital safe&#39;s - YouTube

Last edited by steven; 14-02-2013 at 12:36 PM.

Hello
    I'm in Napier and am after a safe if there's one going
    MARK