Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Drill grinding weirdness

@ebf so this is how you hold the drill in relation to the wheel. It's quite hard to explain but use the corner of the wheel to thin the web then move the drill to the right following and releaving the back of the flute. Don't twist the drill at all and be careful not to touch the cutting edge on the side of wheel. Hope that make sense.
    Name:  20190602_180214.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  585.1 KB
    ebf and takbok like this.

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    what he and gundoc said.
    First test at trade school was sharpen a drill to cut nor more than 0.1 of its size. as such I look with disdain on drill sharpening gadgets.
    I consider myself relatively proficient at sharpening drills without guides at least up to maybe 5/8". Once they get bigger and the hole size is important then the guide and ruler come out
    A big drill can cut way oversize if you get it wrong
    Remember that well. Was given a flattened off drill and a plate with two ground sides. Had to mark out and drill the hole to correct size and within spec to sides of plate. Best way to learn.

there is also a method where you grind two small reliefs on the point parallel to the chisel edge and 90 degrees to the cutting edge. You don't let them touch the cutting edge. On the picture that @Bobba posted just above they would be a small horizontal ground notch not much more than 1mm from the point
    This helps when the web is getting a bit big for purpose too

@Mauser308 most come out of the factory in Kaiapoi I believe.
    Think its Evacut?