Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree18Likes
  • 14 Post By Fssprecision
  • 1 Post By MCCPRO
  • 2 Post By Fssprecision
  • 1 Post By Fssprecision

Thread: First Thompson 10/22 Done

First Thompson 10/22 Done

Its been a project I have been working on for a few years now as time allowed. Well the first one is done and I have to say I am very pleased how it came out, an absolute heap of work but I think worth it in the end.

So just to recap this is nothing more than a replacement stock for a standard Ruger 10/22. At this stage I would want to gun and to fit it up as whilst I have machined all the parts accurately, I am yet to find out how consistent standard 10/22s are.

The mag extension is just a 3d printed dummy attached to a standard mag and does not increase the standard 10 round capacity.
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    Brian, Slug, Bill999 and 11 others like this.

Very cool. Top notch work

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk
    Fssprecision likes this.

Nice work
    Needs a drum magazine look alike though
    Would fit straight into the al capone era

Quote Originally Posted by Sharki View Post
    Nice work
    Cheers, might be an option later but a bit bulky (I have played with originals)

Quote Originally Posted by Fssprecision View Post
    Its been a project I have been working on for a few years now as time allowed. Well the first one is done and I have to say I am very pleased how it came out, an absolute heap of work but I think worth it in the end.

So just to recap this is nothing more than a replacement stock for a standard Ruger 10/22. At this stage I would want to gun and to fit it up as whilst I have machined all the parts accurately, I am yet to find out how consistent standard 10/22s are.

The mag extension is just a 3d printed dummy attached to a standard mag and does not increase the standard 10 round capacity.
    nah sorry mate the colour of the wood work is all wrong - it should be a dark aged looking walnut- not that bright orange red colour - yes neat workmanship - but the wood just wrong - wrong colour

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    nah sorry mate the colour of the wood work is all wrong - it should be a dark aged looking walnut- not that bright orange red colour - yes neat workmanship - but the wood just wrong - wrong colour
    I have access to the real thing and that is the same colour, that said I can stain the blank wood parts what ever colour you want.
    Bill999 and Micky Duck like this.

STC
    wow! very cool!

how did you paint the aluminium extrusion?

I have access to the real thing and that is the same colour, that said I can stain the blank wood parts what ever colour you want.
    dont mean to be picky but I have fired the real thing and seen a few - the colour is wrong - the thompsons had a darker wood - but that is nice - congrats on the job

Quote Originally Posted by STC View Post
    wow! very cool!

how did you paint the aluminium extrusion?
    Sandblast, etch prime then paint
    STC likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharki View Post
    Nice work
    Plus a shorter barrel with a compensator on the muzzle would make it appear more authentic.

Just my 2 cents worth!
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

dont mean to be picky but I have fired the real thing and seen a few - the colour is wrong - the thompsons had a darker wood - but that is nice - congrats on the job
    Fair enough, though I guess wartime production there would have been variations, the color is a pretty close match to a mates (see attached), but like you say I have seen some darker. All the other timber sets are bare at present so might go the darker Walnut option for them...Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Fair enough, though I guess wartime production there would have been variations, the color is a pretty close match to a mates (see attached), but like you say I have seen some darker. All the other timber sets are bare at present so might go the darker Walnut option for them...Cheers
    yeah it looks like fun will it take a short scope

Quote Originally Posted by Finnwolf View Post
    Plus a shorter barrel with a compensator on the muzzle would make it appear more authentic.

Just my 2 cents worth!
    The Cutts Comp was on the 1928 model this is more akin to the WWII variant that was also side cocking, but yea a comp might be an option as well.

yeah it looks like fun will it take a short scope
    For this first one I just added the dummy rear sight cover and you can see through it to the original sights however, yes I was going to add a short rail as an option. In fact I just ordered some small pistol red dots from Aliexpress, if any good they would be a good, low option.