Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree128Likes

Thread: Hand me down Model 70

Used some BC super blue on some smaller parts a while back including the end of the barrel where I had to hot wipe some solder for a long gone front sight.
    Did pretty much what you did. Think i may have used hot water on the parts to get them warm then wiped with brake clean but cant remember.
    Went away to work for the week and came back to one of the smaller bits that had gone rusty. Argh
    Wire wool sorted it and to be fair that was probably the best blue of all of them lol

Looks good.
    Cleaning up works wonders.
    That stock would come up well if you did the whole strip back, wet, sand and refinish with a linseed oil.
    Mind you takes awhile and I imagine the young fella wants to use it.
    Pengy likes this.

Sure has come up good, a rifle to be proud of especially with it's family history. Can't wait to see the results of the first hunt. great job both of you.
    veitnamcam and Pengy like this.

Great work mate, what a great gift for the young fella. A rifle and an experience in restoration which will stay with him.

Good parenting right there Roktoy
    dannyb likes this.

Looks great, nice job.

Its amazing what a little work can do to an unloved rifle.

Night Hunt,

I got a call from my Uncle early Saturday afternoon. "I'll be on the big farm tonight, bring your boy down".
    "Yep, Cool". Shit, the rifle is ready to roll but I haven't had a chance to sight it in since fitting the VX1.
    I gave the Penguin a call and rolled out to his and lobbed a few rounds down range. We fought the scope a bit but got it under control and I was back on the road, Back past home to grab the boy and some winter woolies for the evening.
    Pulled into the Farmhouse just after 7.30, A good clear sky, a bit of fog and a swirling breeze, not ideal.
    Geared up, torches fitted onto scopes and away we went into the night.
    This is only my second time on the property and my first at night, Lets hope ol' Uncle knows his way around...
    This place is rolling to steepish terrain, so up and up and back down again we we go.
    My Uncle stopping to scan gullies and crop paddocks with his thermal.
    Nothing seen bar a couple of rabbits, the neighbours bulls and two horses. An hour and a half in and half time is called, we slowly start back to the farmhouse for a hot cuppa.
    Halfway back and we stop on a high knoll and the old boy scans the back fence line. "Oh, ... you beaut"
    "There's three deer on that clearing, no four, five deer. We need to get closer, come on boy" I wasn't sure if that reference was aimed at me or my lad.
    We hug the bush line, lights all off, and slowly move in, Sixty metres out we drop to the ground and crawl the last fifteen metres up onto the crest of the rise. A quick scan with the thermal shows two yearlings, three hinds and an average stag. They are slowly feeding down off the skyline towards us.
    We wait five minutes (maybe two) then light up the hillside with torches and, Nothing, they are gone.
    Uncle scans off to the right and we see the stag jump the fence into the Native and disappear. Bugger.
    Coffee is still calling, so we quietly amble away towards the farmhouse.
    Stopping off in the Orchard near the house, three Possums are spotted, so we dive off to the house and the .22 comes out, Young fella quickly drops the two bucks we can locate with our head torches.
    A hot drink and a biscuit sees us ready to head out again.
    Into the ute and a quick spin down to the other end of the farm, The airstrip and a few paddocks of turnips are all clagged in and nothing can be seen bar a lone Weka.
    Sorry boys, we are done.
    Midnight sees us pulling back into the farmhouse.
    Rifles made safe and put away. A quick yarn and we hit the road for home.
    Driving home and my boy is on a high. A bit disappointed he didn't get a deer down, but he has had a good night out. A couple of possums down, several deer seen through the thermal, a first for him. And a good night out on the hills with his Great Uncle.
    Plans are already a foot for another visit.

Last edited by ROKTOY; 29-05-2022 at 10:48 PM.
    Tahr, veitnamcam, Pengy and 15 others like this.

Exciting!
    Cant wait for the next installment.
    Shearer likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

great stuff.
    two things to check (issues had with mine) front sling screw MIGHT be touching barrel....
    front action screw can go in deep enough it will enguage one lug of bolt....slight file off of the end of screw and all good again....

and after wrestling match with scope did you manage semi respectable grouping???
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    great stuff.
    two things to check (issues had with mine) front sling screw MIGHT be touching barrel....
    front action screw can go in deep enough it will enguage one lug of bolt....slight file off of the end of screw and all good again....

and after wrestling match with scope did you manage semi respectable grouping???
    Good enough for the evening, as we were likely to be under 100m with the night vision, but not good enough to keep it the way it is.
    Good initial grouping at 50 to get on paper but got a bit weird out at 100M. Scope was fine on windage but not so on elevation adjustment.
    The rifle is coming apart to be checked before I swap out the scope. The front action screw is clear, checked that after the re-blue. Will definitely check the front sling screw. Cheers for the input.
    Pengy and Micky Duck like this.

Cool hunt, it will only make the young fella keener to get out there, look forward to the next outing.
    ROKTOY likes this.

Best read I’ve had for ages. Cool stuff! Post some more soon!
    Micky Duck and ROKTOY like this.
    Just...say...the...word