Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By imaca
  • 1 Post By saryn

Thread: Help - Do I need paperwork to import this ?

Help - Do I need paperwork to import this ?

Hi - I had a dinged 12G barrel (the ding was right at the end of the barrel) and I have removed the ding by cutting / filing, and now want to make a good job of facing the barrel before I touch up the blueing.

I thought somethng like this would do the trick:

https://www.brownells.com/tools-clea...umberOfReviews

Does anyone on the forum know if I need paperwork to import a facing cutter ? It's not a firearm part, but I have to admit I'm unsure after all the changes to the law.

Thanks !

Shotgun barrel?
    You could probably do a really good job with a file and some grades of emery.
    You would have to weigh up the cost of buying one vs taking it to a gunsmith to square up

It's not a firearm - it's a tube facing cutter it just happens to be to a specific 'gauge' size rather than a generic diameter. I'm fairly sure tooling is not covered by any restrictions, but that's a hell of a cost for a one-off job when considering what shipping will cost...

Possibly worth noting a bit late that most muzzle dings can be rolled out and you wouldn't know they've happened? Fumbled a shotgun on the farm when I was a nipper and did that, the owner took it in to town the next day on his trip in and dropped it off then picked it up on the way back. My arse had more marks on it to be fair.

what about lights specifically made (picatinny railed) lights for firearms ?

You don't need a permit for that.
    Its not a firearm part nor will it be fitted to a firearm.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    Slight gray area, but if its specifically for a firearm technically you need a permit.

Quote Originally Posted by MCCPRO View Post
    Slight gray area, but if its specifically for a firearm technically you need a permit.

It is a tool, not a firearm part. Just because a tool is firearm specific it is still just a tool. Anyway, a file and a square is all you need to true it up, 10 minutes tops. Take readings with the square at 90 degrees to each other to get it dead square to the bore.

Quote Originally Posted by MCCPRO View Post

No grey area at all. You need an import permit to import a firearm part.

The Arms Act defines a part unambiguously and is the only interpretation that matters:

part, in relation to any firearm or restricted weapon,—
    (a) means—
    (i) any component that, of itself, is essential to the discharge of any shot, bullet, missile, or other projectile from the firearm or restricted weapon; and
    (ii) any component that is exclusively designed to be, or is intended to be, an integral part of the firearm or restricted weapon (for example, a butt, stock, magazine, or other component that feeds or contributes to feeding ammunition to the firearm or restricted weapon); and
    (b) includes the following components or accessories that can be fitted to, or adapted to fit, a firearm or restricted weapon:
    (i) grips:
    (ii) frames:
    (iii) chassis systems:
    (iv) magazine adapters:
    (v) magazine couplers:
    (vi) magazine loaders:
    (vii) flash suppressors:
    (viii) silencers:
    (ix) folding or telescoping stocks; but
    (c) does not include the following:
    (i) pistol carbine conversion kits:
    (ii) air pistol carbine conversion kits

To check yourself follow this link and scroll down to "part: https://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/....html#DLM72627

If in doubt refer to the legislation. There are so many people that think you need an import permit for all and sundry which is incorrect.
    You'll note that this list doesn't include torches, sling swivels, etc., etc. that are often repeated as erroneous examples of why the legislation is ridiculous.

If the customs declaration says anything to do with firearms it will almost certainly be turned away by NZ Post. My trigger locks were a point in case but when they were resent and declared as "Locks" they came through OK

If you can, ask the sender to declare without any firearms terminology as long as they are not actual firearms parts of course
    Finnwolf and MCCPRO like this.

Quote Originally Posted by imaca View Post
    If the customs declaration says anything to do with firearms it will almost certainly be turned away by NZ Post. My trigger locks were a point in case but when they were resent and declared as "Locks" they came through OK

If you can, ask the sender to declare without any firearms terminology as long as they are not actual firearms parts of course
    Ups or parcelways I think it's called are flagging most things at the moment. My customs broker said they have increased screening of anything firearms related depends what's been specified on the papers.

Time to import stuff now before the proposed expensive firearm import fees are implemented.

Just do it with a file and sandpaper. I have done multiple shotguns this way and when done with some care, will be indistinguishable from a job done with the tool you linked. If you were doing a dozen, might be worth it. Doing one, do it by hand.

Ok thanks a lot for the advice everyone. A file, square and snadpaper it is.
    Growlybear likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    pretty sure itar prohibits export out of the states

Should be fine
    You can bring in chamber reamers no issues