Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 5 Post By Makros
  • 1 Post By No good names left

Thread: Layman receiver sight aperautre insert

Layman receiver sight aperautre insert

Been learning how to use a lathe, enjoying it a lot. Have made some custom cleaning jags with brass, a paper cartridge former out of nylon, and other bits and pieces.
    So today I wanted to solve a problem with my Winchester 88 sights. I started with Skinner sight (https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....oration-97465/) but found that was too far forward for my liking so managed to track down an original Lyman Receiver sight for the Winchester 88.

Started with problem #1, Aperture is too small for my liking. All good for target shooting but no good for hunting. Also found the insert too small in outside diameter I prefer a larger insert.
    Name:  20240101_161815.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  296.7 KB

So I made another insert with a 3mm aperture and larger outside diameter. (Aperture size chosen as 1/8" being the suggested aperture size for general hunting). Realised a problem though, it cants up and bottoming out on the sight body.
    Had to be very careful threading the insert as the 12-40 UNS thread doesn't take much to twist and bugger up. A very fine thread pitch.
    Name:  20240101_160202.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  279.3 KB

Problem #2. This is the insert that come with the sight. While I made the new insert to the spec of this insert. I'm not sure the aperture that came with the sight is for this sight, it stops on the sight body and cants the whole aperture up. It needs a shoulder to register against the threaded portion of the sight.
    Name:  20240101_160119.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  321.4 KB

Solution:
    Name:  20240101_162327.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  248.7 KB
    Name:  20240101_160234.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  261.0 KB

A quick oil blue:
    Name:  20240101_161308.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  346.2 KB
    Name:  20240101_161328.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  434.2 KB
    Name:  20240101_161343.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  585.6 KB

Happy as, was a fun lathe project to learn a few techniques on. Including grinding a boring bit with good clearance for the face of the aperture. Even dived into the dark art of knurling, I'm not sure why the two attempts of knurling come out entirely different...
    Last edited by Makros; 01-01-2024 at 07:56 PM.
    308, Frogfeatures, akaroa1 and 2 others like this.

Hilariously bad spelling in the title... I apologise...

Nice work, it's a huge rabbit hole when you start machining bits for your own rifle.
    If you're getting inconsistent results when knurling try winding a little preload pressure between the knurling wheel and the part.
    Makros likes this.

Nice job, well done !

A lot of that is also differences in sections off the same bar stock, I've noticed some where even though it's centreless ground shaft there are distinct variations in surface hardness. Don't get me started on chrome plated rod! All over the place...

Looks great. My lathe would be the very last tool I would part with.
    It's very satisfying making bits for your rifles and reloading tools.