Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Machinist's / hobby machinist's

That Global is a very useful workshop machine. I had something similar for many years and it gave excellent service, then about 15 years ago Scott Machinery phoned to say they had traded in 5 or 6 late model Colchester Students with all accessories (ex a technical college), 1 metre BC and at a sharp price. They sold the lot over the phone before they even took delivery. I picked up a good capstan attachment a few years later and bought a new collet chuck. It is a fabulously accurate machine and cuts a large range of metric and imperial threads.

Quote Originally Posted by gundoc View Post
    Yep, there is nothing than can't be done by HSS, especially by grinding the tool rake to suit the material. TC has only been commonly available since the 1960's. For the 100 years prior to that it was all done with HSS (including the engineering output of two World wars). I don't think you can find much fault with the quality of engineering up to and including WW2.
    I am in grateful for the world wars, and all the others too.

Without these totally shitty times in our history, we would not have the variety of firearms that we do today.
    So, thank you to all the assholes who in one way or another are responsible for the worst times in recent human history so far.

Long live the gun, especially the old, banged up military gun.
    Use enough gun

Quote Originally Posted by gundoc View Post
    That Global is a very useful workshop machine. I had something similar for many years and it gave excellent service, then about 15 years ago Scott Machinery phoned to say they had traded in 5 or 6 late model Colchester Students with all accessories (ex a technical college), 1 metre BC and at a sharp price. They sold the lot over the phone before they even took delivery. I picked up a good capstan attachment a few years later and bought a new collet chuck. It is a fabulously accurate machine and cuts a large range of metric and imperial threads.
    I did look at a few old colchesters and missed out on quite a beat up one at auction that went for moon beams of cash,This global will see me out.It is plenty accurate for what I want and the occasional bit of gunsmith stuff for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post

If I recall correctly (haha), the 9x20 uses a Boxford-spec spindle nose (got one in for the old man's hobby lathe that way). .
    Yes that was what I thought as well, but they have done somthing strange and some of them are the Boxford spec which is pretty easy to get and some of them are a 39x4 metric thread, which is what I got and seams almost impossible to get. It's a strange lathe because the leadscrew is imperial and the hand wheels are metric, I'm guessing they have just built up a lathe with spare parts for our limited market. Didn't know very much when I purchased it, it was a lathe that was about all I knew, pretty steep learning curve after that.