Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Making a workbench

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    If you ever have the need to grab things that are long, a No3 at either end of the bench with the jaws aligned is a real good setup + leaves the center section of the bench free to chuck stuff on.

Depending on how big you need a vice to be (the critical dimension is the height of the top of the jaws for filing, sawing etc measure to the bottom of your elbow with your forearm parallel to the ground and work down from that height, - height of vice to get top of bench height). That's the issue with the big vices they are too tall so you end up with a massive vice on a midget height benchtop or you don't get any throat depth in your vice. My favoured size for general work is the No3 or No4, just due to the dimensions and throat size. You can fit them onto a standard 900mm bench height without having to crane your arm up to use a file or saw. I have a pair of No110 QR steel fitters vices on my steel bench, awesome setup.

I've got a couple of Record No25's here and they are the quick release 6" fitter's vice. They make a record No6 (the industry standard size) look like a kids toy... The QR fitter's vices are excellent but extremely hard to get hold of now, the indian knockoffs are worth over a grand. I have a spare Record No8 as well with new jaws, they are quite useful and not too big but you have to recess them into the bench to get a good combination of vice jaw height and benchtop height.
    Oh, so firearms are not your only vice. I just have 4 or 5 myself. One mounted on the bench, one on a lump of ply with a grinder on the other end that I put on saw stools for some jobs. And a couple of others that get attached when and where needed.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    I can tell you what isn't better - those stupid little swively vices. First time you lean on them you snap them off.
    I like the big old ones you could swivel on a shaft co-axial to the screw shaft.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

No75 sounds familiar. Such a useful and solid design. Every now and then I try to find one but haven't so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckerbox View Post
    Hi guys. Looking at making a workbench for tinkering this winter. Was thinking two benches, 2400x600 wide. Legs frame work, shelves will be made of 90x45 sg8 lvl as I can get it through work but am stuck for a top. I want it to be heavy, hard and last a life time. Thinking 200x100 or 200x75 macro, machine and laminate with threaded rod through bolts to post tension the top. Any thoughts? Will post progress photos here.
    Build the base however you want (timber frame, steel box section, second hand pallet racking beams and posts), then buy a sheet of container decking ply from Plytech. This stuff is HEAVY and hard and will out last you and your progeny in a work bench situation. If you want extra durable, screw a section of 3mm, 6mm, or 10mm MS plate on top (eg 1200x600 section cut off a 1200x2400 sheet). If you are into welding, then I strongly recommend a separate steel frame, steel top table that you can weld bits to to hold things in place while fabricating, and put it on wheels so you can wheel it into the middle of the workshop for larger items or where you need to get around all sides of the job.