Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Micarta for knife handle liners where are people buying ?

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    Just want to use some g10 liners double layer lime green and yellow, nothing too fancy the course provides the steel, brass pins,bolster and hard wood for the handle.
    Have to be a little realistic about what can be achieved in 1 day otherwise theres loads of other things I could look into doing.
    At some point I will have a crack at making a leather holster for it too, not sure how or where I'll go to do that but worth a crack.
    Hi @dannyb. I am about to make a sheath for gapped axe and was thinking about maybe doing like a photo doc, kinda instructional , for want of a better word, thread on how I make mine if you think that might be a good idea. There seems to be a few guys who would like to have a go at making their own but find the idea a little intimidating but really not that difficult. What do you think...good idea?
    Of course that depends entirely on whether I can upload photos as I have had no success for several weeks....
    dannyb likes this.
    born to hunt - forced to work

great idea, yup it's hard not being able to upload pics I have had a few things I haven't posted up lately due to the hassle with not being able to upload pics.....I hear a upgrade is on the cards so hopefully that sorts it
    #DANNYCENT

Purveyor of Fine Cutlery terryf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelley View Post
    Right, so micarta is actually a brand name but it’s layered cloth set with a heat cooked glue under pressure, g10 is different iis glass (fibreglass) using the same glue and pressure.
    G10 is impervious to almost anything, micarta is almost as good but the outer layers can absorb whatever they contact, so when wet they swell very slightly which increases your grip as the fibres lift a tad, after they dry they go back to Anor all.
    Both are a pig to cut and shape, and the dust is noxious..Gameco sells both, I get my g10 there, and have some I can give you, not yellow though, I get my micarta in Auckland and also have a little spare, I also have rimu scales and teak scales...
    If I was you I would design the knife before I went and make up the scales beforehand, make them brighter than yiu need then cut them to shape there...
    Here is some more info on G10 that I gleaned of the interweb a few years back;

G10 is a designation for epoxy impregnated glass fabric. The term "G10" comes from a NEMA (National Electrical Manufacturers Association) specification, spec L1, "Industrial Laminated Thermosetting Products".
    There is no Qualified Producers List for L1, it is a performance specification. Anyone can make G10, but, in order to be called G10, it has to have a specific set of properties.
    Anything called G10 has to have certain minimum properties.

The military G10 laminate has its own spec, MIL-I-24768/2. The properties controlled by the MIL spec are similar to those controlled by the NEMA spec.
    Its the same material and its going to be used for the same purpose, circuit boards.

Properties of G10 flat laminates per MIL-I-2478/2: (bold are applicable to use in knife making)
    Dielectric breakdown voltage
    Dielectric constant
    Dissipation factor
    Impact strength - Impact strength of a 3.175mm thick section is to be at least 7 ft-lb per inch
    Flex strength - Flex strength of a 3.175mm thick section is to be a minimum of 55 KSI measured with the fabric

Water absorption.

Gxx variations

Grade CE Garolite: Compared to Grade XX Garolite, Grade CE offers higher impact strength. It's a cotton-cloth laminate with a phenolic resin binder.

Grade G-7 Garolite: A woven-glass-fabric laminate with silicone resin binder. It withstands high temperatures and is good for electrical applications.

Grade G-9 Garolite: This woven-glass fabric laminate has a melamine resin binder for superior strength. It retains its shape and size, plus is good for use in wet conditions.

Grade G-10 Garolite: A glass-cloth laminate with epoxy resin binder offering excellent strength and low water absorption.

Grade G-10/FR4 Garolite: A glass-cloth laminate with epoxy resin binder, this material is the flame-retardant version of standard G-10 Garolite. It offers excellent strength and low water absorption.

Grade G-11 Garolite: Similar to G-10 Garolite, except G-11 is stronger and can withstand higher temperatures. It's a glass-cloth laminate with epoxy resin binder.

Grade G-30 Glass Polyimide Garolite: Made of glass fabric with a polyimide resin binder.
    Regards
    Terry

https://www.knives4africa.co.nz/
    Custom knife dealer

Authorised Nitecore Torch Retailer
    NZ Distributor of Nano-Oil

I have made plenty of micarta, it is very easy . messy ,but easy. there are tutorals around. made some from denim which looks very cool .any linen is fine but the best stuff i found is the material hivis vests are made out of. and use epoxy rather than fibreglass resin,it is way better.
    Puffin likes this.

Name:  IMG_20200903_151538.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  1.87 MB
    Check out this carbon/cloth stuff from Bestech
    Awesome looking stuff....
    Mintie and dannyb like this.

Hiya,
    I did the day at Barrytown in 2004, great day. Lots of fun and really good knife at the end of it. I am now a hobbyist the last few years. I have tried a number of suppliers, including gameco and aliexpress. For your money, you will be hard pressed to beat Jantz knife-making supplies for price and for customer service. I had a package lost so called them and they posted out replacements immediatly without question. There pricing is half of others and gets to NZ in about 2-3 weeks. They are https://knifemaking.com Have fun at Barrytown
    dannyb likes this.