Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: my rem 700 3006

Ounces make pounds. All weight savings eventually add up. So everything you have on your rig should be evaluated against how often it is effectively used. Hunting rifles are carried alot and the actual shooting is a split second in time. CF stock is probably the biggest weight loss. People often don't consider the recoil pad. Big thick rubber pads weigh heaps, so I buy jandals and epoxy them on and grind to fit. I always run alum Talleys. Fluting if I can afford it. The bolt shroud on the Remington (a'la early 60's models) & Howas can be cut in half so there's another saving.
    How often do you use the bipod? Can you use a daybag rest instead? How does the scope weight compare to others in its class? Can you get away with less features? Do you really need that suppressor?
    Evaluate everything against your actual hunting experiences and be prepared to rationalize every piece on the gun.
    SixtyTen and Blisters like this.
    "That is ever the way of the Highlander. He alters like a clear pool to every mood of the sky, so that the shallow observer knows not how deep the waters are."

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    What projectiles you running in it ? I'm new to 30-06 I'm currently running 178gn eldms so far so good, I would normally settle on a lighter projectile say 165ish but needs musts. So far it's been very effective.
    @Blisters ???
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by FRST View Post
    Ounces make pounds. All weight savings eventually add up. So everything you have on your rig should be evaluated against how often it is effectively used. Hunting rifles are carried alot and the actual shooting is a split second in time. CF stock is probably the biggest weight loss. People often don't consider the recoil pad. Big thick rubber pads weigh heaps, so I buy jandals and epoxy them on and grind to fit. I always run alum Talleys. Fluting if I can afford it. The bolt shroud on the Remington (a'la early 60's models) & Howas can be cut in half so there's another saving.
    How often do you use the bipod? Can you use a daybag rest instead? How does the scope weight compare to others in its class? Can you get away with less features? Do you really need that suppressor?
    Evaluate everything against your actual hunting experiences and be prepared to rationalize every piece on the gun.
    yeah mate done all that, very happy with where I am just want to finish it with some fluting. cheers

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Another 30 06 fan here.
    Blisters and dannyb like this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I have a .30/06 also. I have run out of .30 cal bullets though except for 220 grain Sierras. I have a good load for them at 2450 fps, but they kick like God hit you
    Blisters likes this.