Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree122Likes

Thread: New old lathe

Quote Originally Posted by kimjon View Post
    I helped a mate get one of these going. His was Jerry rigged with an 8"x2" plank of wood on a door hinge at the bottom and a single phase motor mounted at the top. A leather belt connected the motor to the spindle, and the weight of the motor swinging on the hinge, plus a tensioner provided enough friction to drive it.

Kj
    Fairly close to my idea. Will have the counter shaft hinged out the back of the headstock, so it can be released to change speeds, and the motor hung down at floor level on a pivot and add a spring for extra tension if needed. Since we're still shaking down here I want it as stable as possible.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    I was very focussed as a young man. All of my energy went into drinking Waikato, rugby and girls. Paying attention to detail was not something I spent any time doing, hence I failed School Certificate. In fact I failed it twice and on the second occasion with absolute distinction. My old man had a limited amount of tools GM. If it couldn't be fixed with a hammer and nails, crescent spanner or bow saw then it was jury rigged with number eight wire or baling twine. Metalwork and woodwork were available as subjects but I never gave them a go as biffing a ball or chatting a chick seemed a better idea at the time.
    I avoided those vices @Rushy, though I was still plagued by the last one, I just didn't know it, but someone would normally point it out to everyone else. My father was a builder and to him metalwork was a dirty word. We used to have great arguments about which was better but he could rarely get past my argument of hos metal tools and fasteners, particularly when I made tools and jigs for him.

Time to head back outside and finish cleaning up the toy and put it in the garage.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

A lathe is a wonderful tool. In fact you'll wonder "how the fuck you ever got shit done without one", once you've had it for a while.

Only problem is you'll end up making stuff....because you have one, and usually for someone else. Last night I spent two hours making bearing spacers and when finished I looked at my accomplishments...hmmm two hours and I've made a couple short bits of pipe!
    sometimes likes this.

I know just what you mean. It has been way too long since I've had a lathe and in those years I've often thought "I'll just do ..., bugger, sold the lathe."

Will set it up so the motor and back gear can slide horizontally to give me more speed options too.

Well underway with a mount for the countershaft hooked onto the pivot for the old treadle. Will need new bearings for it though as the ones there are slogged out. Will need to pull the head apart in order to reroute/replace the belt. @veitnamcam would likely cry if he saw the welding, I was like an uncoordinated two year old with a hot melt glue gun.

I like the markings on the tailstock spindle.

Ha ha ha.
    I have seen worse and a lot worse at that, yours is holding hands the whole length of it!
    kimjon likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Ha ha ha.
    I have seen worse and a lot worse at that, yours is holding hands the whole length of it!
    It is. Pretty thin material 2.5mm and 1.7mm so done in two halves.

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Well underway with a mount for the countershaft hooked onto the pivot for the old treadle. Will need new bearings for it though as the ones there are slogged out. Will need to pull the head apart in order to reroute/replace the belt. @veitnamcam would likely cry if he saw the welding, I was like an uncoordinated two year old with a hot melt glue gun.

I like the markings on the tailstock spindle.

Fark thats bloody good welding compared to mine, turkey shit

Decided to make a new trolley/workbench to mount the lathe on since the factory job is far too short and narrow and heavy. Grabbed some of the scrap angle iron I've had lying around for a couple of years, cut and welded up a good sturdy frame. Ordered a set of casters that should be good for 400kg. If the weather permits tomorrow I'll weld in some mounts for shelving.

Oh and picked up some new dry welding electrodes so the welding is a bit better.

Can I start writing my "Things I need Gadgetman to make on his lathe for me" list yet?
    Beaker likes this.

Caretaker

New old lathe

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Can I start writing my "Things I need Gadgetman to make on his lathe for me" list yet?
    Bipod spikes

Black powder cannon

Golf ball cannon

P38, Bryan, gadgetman and 2 others like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Two rules using a lathe
    1- don't leave the chuck key in the chuck. EVER
    2- take you tie off!
    I'd mention long hair..... But that's an age thing
    deadidick and Huk like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

I was more thinking some personal jewellery.

But probably could do a small canon.

Prince Albert would be more fun! And making the insertion punch!
    gadgetman likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

res
    Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Prince Albert would be more fun! And making the insertion punch!
    Hmm making a piercing blade and the corresponding recovery tube for a PA is not a job I would have thought of. Making a pa bar or ring would a hard task-but the balls for the ends would be ok. Maybe a "princes wand" (go on google it)would be a good lathe job-esp as good ones need to be custom fitted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk