Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: New stock

New stock

Haven't posted in a while.
    Been working on an updated stock design for ages, finally got my ducks lined up to make another prototype.
    I bought a used CNC router off a farmer in Gore for a steal and this is the first major project I've done with it:
    Name:  finale.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  623.9 KB

Bit of background;

Cad done in Fusion 360. Hollowed voids to reduce weight like last time, but targeting better prone ergonomics and adjustability.
    Name:  P2J0Q7h.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  252.7 KB

This was the first major CAM project for me. While it worked OK with only 2 set ups, the next time I will do this differently (likely more set ups, but should be a more accurate and consistent end result).
    Name:  ihg0LnF.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  187.7 KB

Blank surfaced and internal voids cut, including inletting.
    Name:  ZUCkC8a.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  109.4 KB

Outer surfacing cut. Unfortunately this revealed a couple of nail holes in the blank, and there were evidently a couple of tool path errors - see the diagonal cut across the bottom of the grip.
    You can see here the sides aren't symmetrical - the grip is canted to the right by 5 degrees or so (similar to a GRS)
    Name:  1Hruhwb.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  203.4 KB

Two halves freed from the blank and mating holes pinned.
    Name:  XeKECy7.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  181.7 KB

Two halves assembled
    Name:  LDnecLB.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  161.6 KB

Gluing with epoxy
    Name:  halvesglin.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  198.5 KB

Before starting serious work on the outside surfaces, I pillar bedded the action. Work bench is getting pretty messy now.
    Name:  glue.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  154.3 KB

Was a bit of a push for my mill to cut the aluminium clamp for the adjustable height comb, but it did work!
    Name:  clampmill.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  124.1 KB

Adjustable height comb clamp fitted, and adjustable height & angle butt plate. I will replace the socket cap screw with a thumb screw once the lockdown is over. The adjustable butt pad slider housing is a 3d printed part - it should have been flush with the stock, but I made it months ago. Adjustment needed for next time.
    Name:  glueee.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  97.0 KB

Inletting done and everything fitting up well, time for lots and lots of sanding.
    Name:  sand.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  150.8 KB

First coat of epoxy. Timber is red beech.
    Name:  poxy.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  95.8 KB

3 coats epoxy later, buffed down to matte finish with scotchbrite. Skateboard grip-tape for a little more security, flush cups and picatinny rail rail installed in the forend. I STILL didn't create enough bolt clearance to the comb in this design (it's becomming a tradition) so this got a minor adjustment - but I'm really happy with the outcome so far.
    Name:  syy.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  314.3 KB

Unfortunately I'm missing ONE M4 screw to fully fasten the pic rail in the forend - I'll have to wait until after the lockdown unless I can rustle one up in the shed. Other than that I'm pumped to get behind it at the range.
    Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images        

Nice work! What CAM software are you using?

Was the CNC router terribly expensive?

I do not know what you do for a job, but if you get the practise in, Boyds / GRS etc may be in trouble. Something like that could be worth buying local if you were able

Looks great. Very well done.
    Trout, Bill999, Gkp and 2 others like this.

Awesome all right what some people do in there sheds
    timattalon likes this.

Thats an awesome idea for making a stock. I never thought of machining each half and gluing together.

That came out really nice. Looks like it would be comfortable to shoot too.

What model is the CNC?

If you find the skateboard grip too abrasive, try this stuff https://www.bunnings.co.nz/croc-grip...black_p3961694
    its designed for beside spa pools and bathrooms and such to be comfortable on bare skin, it was the best product as far as a balance between grip and not hurting your hands.
    I tried skateboard grip tape on my 3d pistol grips and they were too aggressive. I searched around and found this stuff at Bunnings. $11 will buy you enough to do 5 or 6 grips.
    chalkeye likes this.

thats really cool

can it mill out fiberglass/carbonfiber?

Well done that is bloody impressive.

awesome job! how lkng did it take for the machining? keen to do a few for us?
    regards

That looks bloody good!
    Stock making really is part art and part science.
    Every machine is a smoke machine,
    If you use it wrong enough.

Thanks all. All of the scales in my house are broken so I can't weigh it - I'm hoping it'll be around a kilo. I'll confirm once I get my hands on some real scales though!
    CAM is all done within Fusion 360, and the router runs Mach3
    The router was built by the guy I bought it off. I paid $900, but have had to fix & replace some bits (including the spindle and VFD) which pushes the cost up. However the last stock I got cut by a pro outfit nearly cost my $900 so I'm happy with the outcome!

I'd love to make more for other people. This requires some more refinement of the process - I think I have a way to do it with more setups but better accuracy (and less hand finishing), so will be making another for my .22 to test this.
    I the cost to someone else would almost certainly be north of $1k to make it worth my time, which is pretty steep really.

Carbon fibre is definitely an option, I need to learn more about the process but I think it could be done DIY with machining a two sided bladder mold. That definitely requires more thinking about how to mount the action though (likely aluminium bedding block) which adds more complexity.

Thanks for all the kind comments
    57jl, Moa Hunter and Russian 22. like this.

You may have to see what happens with the second round of gun control.
    @stug had to stop his side business of making carbon fibre stocks as they were going to require a dealers license to make.

At the moment to make firearms parts like stocks you only need a firearms licence. But if the second round of legislation goes through you will need a dealers licence to make and sell to other people.

Skilled craftsman at his best,very nice.They reckon walnut tree trunk nice to cut rifle stocks out of.

Red cedar would be pretty nice as well.