Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By LJPRMC

Thread: Prefit barrel for mossberg 7mm prc

Big_Les

Prefit barrel for mossberg 7mm prc

HI,

does anyone know any company that is doing mossberg patriot prefit barrels ? I am after a carbon fibre wrapped barrel for my patriot 7mm prc .

thanks
    les

I am not even sure if there is an outfit in the USA who make them .

The Original Striker
    Bigger Better Faster Stronger
    Handle the Jandle, or get off the Beach

The Original Striker

STC
    the last comment probably sais it all...

Missbergs arent exactly known for their precision.

And its not just the barrel...

Big_Les
    Quote Originally Posted by striker View Post
    Thanks for that.. good lead

Big_Les
    Quote Originally Posted by STC View Post
    the last comment probably sais it all...

Missbergs arent exactly known for their precision.

And its not just the barrel...
    Thanks for input. Just to clarify , accuracy is not the issue. The rifle shoots around half inch MOA . Very reliably , but only for 3 shots . Then it opens right up from being too hot ( I believe ) the rifle sits tight in a mdt chassis , and I make the ammo at a reliable 2950 ft/sec Eldx 175 gr .
    So I am thinking i might try a carbon wrap that supposedly shed heat ?
    Les

I

STC
    Quote Originally Posted by LJPRMC View Post
    Thanks for input. Just to clarify , accuracy is not the issue. The rifle shoots around half inch MOA . Very reliably , but only for 3 shots . Then it opens right up from being too hot ( I believe ) the rifle sits tight in a mdt chassis , and I make the ammo at a reliable 2950 ft/sec Eldx 175 gr .
    So I am thinking i might try a carbon wrap that supposedly shed heat ?
    Les

I
    You are among the lucky ones then. most Mossberg's shoot the first 2 reasonably well and open up then... Or like mine, only start shooting well AFTER its warmed up...

Carbon barrels do not shed heat, they trap it. i.e. you make the heat problem worse.

It might just be that a new barrel might shoot better in general, i.e. not shit itself after warming up a bit. So it might "solve" your problem

Personally instead of spending 1+k on a new barrel... there are plenty of firearms for sale at very nice prices at the moment, that shoot well out of the box, if that is an option for you.

That said if you want to go the way of a new barrel (and there is nothing wrong with wanting to tinker) The tenon is 1.055" x 20 TPI... Savage is 1/16 x 20 TPI afaik. So yeah completely different thread to most common bolt action rifles (usually 16 tpi). because... reasons....

My mossturd is the best shooting 223 Ive owned, wasn't expecting it to be but there you go...
    may be sarcastic may be a bad joke

Big_Les
    Quote Originally Posted by blip View Post
    My mossturd is the best shooting 223 Ive owned, wasn't expecting it to be but there you go...
    not really surprised , i have 3 mossbergs 2 in 7mm-08 and one in 7mm prc , i also have a rem 700 in 7mm-08 as well . all shoot sub moa . the 7mm-08,s can shoot all day long without moving arround the target very much . However the prc shoots 3 rounds , then you might as well go home for another day . THe rem 700 shoots like a laser and is the most accurate of all the rifles .
    Now i have been shooting for 50 yrs , and heres my opinion . Mossbergs are the best value rifle you can buy , but not the best "shooting" rifle . However if you can reliablely put 3 rounds into a dinner plate at 300 yards with anything else , you will not be embarrassed shooting a Mossberg to that range either .
    To finish , i might be a bit lucky , and cause i have good scopes , and spend a bit of time at the range shooting my own ammo i can put 3 rounds into a teacup at 400 yards . I suspect your .223 will do the same .
    cheers
    les

target
    blip likes this.