Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree170Likes

Thread: Quality "everlasting" .410 shells

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    They look way cooler than my .303 blowouts... Would you sell 25 cases?
    I only bought 50 new Norma cases for myself.. cant see me using any more than that in a good few days out.
    They are $135 per 50 from outdoor supplies. Not cheap but I doubt Ill ever need more.
    There was a guy selling 100 used cases here, but they are stored at his mates place and I got over waiting for him to visit to pick them up for me.. chase him up if you like

https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....r-brass-55653/

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    @Wingman. Thanks for a very interesting report. Congrats on your success too.
    One question: Have you considered the possiblity of tungsten matrix shot which may be usable in older non steel-proof guns as well as modern guns? I would be interested in your thoughts on this.
    Thanks mate, Ive never used it personally but if you can point me in the direction of a supplier or send me some Ill share my thoughts on it.
    Hell Ill even try some depleted uranium if someone can send me some melted into tiny balls.. oh and a lead lined underwear and ammo pouch to match
    Woody, Tommy and Moa Hunter like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    Excellent innovation. Also makes me yearn for a .410 again. I realised when reading this that it's a full 32 years since I left mine in England when I left home, never saw it again and honestly couldn't tell you what happened to it. Same with my 12ga!

What do you expect the effective range for running hares to be?
    As you know I tend to push the normal boundries with most things and the .410 has been no different. I treat mine like a 12g and run tight full chokes with heavier loads of larger lead than most people would. 50y on a hare is totally doable. Shot size matters for the longer shots, as always slower moving heavier shot kills better than fast moving small shot when you add range to the equation.
    Will put up some test Pattens in a few days.
    I may load some fast moving lighter loads of #8 shot for rats and weasels that make the mistake of venturing into the chicken/duck paddock
    Woody and Micky Duck like this.

@Wingman You have a lathe so you can also drill out the primer pockets and use shotgun primers.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

I could but I see no real advantage over the large pistol primers and another couple of grain of powder.
    I cant see these pockets ever getting loose from such low pressure loads compared to the comparatively high pressure of a 9.3x74R load but if they got loose they could be opened up for 209s for sure

hehehehehehehehehehehe I told you it was addictive.......just for grins n giggles try a couple of loads with the shot you were going to throw back into melting pot.....might make an awesome closer range spreader load.
    your skills amaze me.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    hehehehehehehehehehehe I told you it was addictive.......just for grins n giggles try a couple of loads with the shot you were going to throw back into melting pot.....might make an awesome closer range spreader load.
    your skills amaze me.
    Cant say I havent enjoyed the project.. and love the fact that .22lr ammo is the only "factory loads" I now buy.
    I have been using the rejected shot for chrono work so not a big deal. Its not that bad.. just some bigger stuff and miss shaped lumps where more than one have stuck together under the lead nozzle.
    I got it running sweet once I found the best angle for the baffle slide it was making very even and round shot.
    300CALMAN, Micky Duck and 40mm like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SixtyTen View Post
    I started off reading this somewhat interested as I have always liked 410s. I finished reading this post with my mouth wide open in amazement.

I didnt know that shot could be made that way, and full brass shotgun cases are just my kinda thing.

I foresee a 410 in my cabinet in the near future.

Very impressive, thanks for taking the time to photograph it and post.
    Thanks mate.
    Cant say I knew how to make lead shot before this venture either.. I thought you needed a 30 meter high tower with a screen dropper and a bunch of baffles before a water trough at the bottom as that is how they used to do it.
    The story goes that way back in the day a high old church with a lead roof burned down and one of the fire fighters found lead shot in their water puddles in the basement after fighting the blaze.
    Melbournes historic old shot tower is still an iconic part of its retail sector that is worth a visit.

Heres a slowmo vid of the version I made which shows the shot forming before its quenched. Just a heads up.. its 5 mins of what you see in the first 30 seconds but strangly memorizing like staring into a fire..

https://youtu.be/NY_PsL9bA_o
    40mm likes this.

Im on the lookout for an older .410g side by side if any one has one they would like to sell.
    One of the old Belgium made folding hammer guns or similar would be a cool addition to my collection.

Name:  b173c92c.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  159.3 KB

Name:  Screenshot_20200719-200436_Chrome.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  273.4 KB
    Last edited by Wingman; 19-07-2020 at 09:10 PM.
    Micky Duck and 40mm like this.

Had lots of 410's singles & a couple of those Belgium doubles back in the day & was after another recently but my buddy just talked me into a 28ga O/U

Man some of that TSS shot would be fantastic in the 28ga to I bet ?

look up heavi shot.....the figures on the tss etc are mind boggling...heavier than lead so using smaller shot sizes and ranges are stretched accordingly.... pity its so darn problamatic to get. it would silence all the critics of non toxic pretty darn quickly.

I thought Id finish working up the 3/4oz load today so using only the one brass case I loaded 15.5gr of H110 which is 0.5gr over the 15gr book max in plastic hulls and put it over the chrono. It only gave 780fps, a very slight increase in velocity to the first test shot at 15gr but not much. I tapped the old primer out and reloaded it again with 16.5gr. This was closer to my 1100fps goal

Name:  20200722_124337.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  3.15 MB

Same case again loaded with 16.8gr of H110.

Name:  20200722_122249.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  3.61 MB

So close.. 17gr in the same case and just as I was ready to head outside it started pissing down.. that one will have to wait but Im quietly confident.

I have 8 loadings on that one piece of brass without any resizing and it still slips in and out of the chamber perfectly. The loads are such low pressure that the only movement of brass seems to be in the top 15mm so I cant foresee any sticky brass issues so no resizing is nessesary.

Name:  20200722_130200.jpg
Views: 765
Size:  5.27 MB

While I waited for the rain to ease I thought I work on the brass some more.
    Even after the 8 loads the small ring around the top from the old 9.3x74R shoulder was still visible so I spun them all up in the lathe and polished them out with some wet and dry paper.

Name:  20200722_143710.jpg
Views: 735
Size:  2.90 MB

Name:  20200722_144352.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  3.33 MB

I then annealed the old neck section to relax the brass in its new form and soften it so the roll crimp doesnt end up splitting the mouths.

Name:  20200722_144844.jpg
Views: 650
Size:  3.55 MB

Into the tumbler for a few hours now to remove the sizing wax as its a pain in the ass with the super fine H110 powder that resembles fine glitter.. and they will come out all bling bling

Awesome great write up and pics.
    Makes me want to get my safe queen 410 out and ping off a few rounds

so for grins n giggles...fill that was column up with #00 buckshot and try a pattern.
    I was using rio 3" case
    win 209 primer
    14grns of win 296 powder
    winchester wad
    6x#0 buckshot
    my lyman manual has 5x #00 in its 3" loads.

so roughly $30 per lb.........a pound is how many onces???? at 1/2oz per load that is how many loads and price per load is???
    uncle google says 16oz per lb so 32loads per pound
    so 224 loads...so roughly $1 per load for the shot......thats on par with good loads.
    Moa Hunter likes this.