Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Remington model 341 sportsmaster circa 1936-40

Quote Originally Posted by muzza View Post
    The Model 34/341 Remington has the most amazing , positive action loading system on any American rifle . The two lugs you can see in the pics hold the round as it it feeds out of the magazine tube ( has yours been restricted to ten rounds I wonder ? ) and feeds it direct into the chamber every time . Must have been very expensive to manufacture, with all the machining involved.

I have a couple of them , and they truly are wonderful rifles to use. Buy yourself a Frontier Big45 Cleaning Pad off the internet and clean that surface rust off. These pads are brilliant in that they do not take the blue off like ordinary steel wool does , no matter how hard you scrub , and they will shift all manner of rust in short time.

Nice score , enjoy it .

Heres some information - The reason it has no scope mounts is because virtually no rifle had mounts untill the mid 1950's or so.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_Model_341
    It certainly does have a marvellous feeding system must have been back when craftsmen manufactured rifles very slick once I cleaned the crud out of it and lubed it up.
    #DANNYCENT

Brings back memory's. I swapped a heap of smoked salmon fillets to get my one. Shot amazingly well but as they are no scope which made it not very useful for night shooting. Sold mine to help fund a BRNO mod 1.
    dannyb likes this.

well scored!
    got the fabarm yet ???
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    well scored!
    got the fabarm yet ???
    NAh probably next week so duck season is over a week early for me but that's ok we still had a good season even if shorter than usual,
    #DANNYCENT

Hell, all this reminds me of my first .22, it was a Remington Target Master single shot, knocked off quite a few bunnies on Waiheke Island about the 1960`s. used to buy a brick of 500 ICI 22 amo and shoot it all in a weekend`s hunting, O for the old days and I think she is still living on the Island.
    dannyb likes this.

Ran a brush and a few patches down the bore today and its really mint, the rifling looks crisp so hopefully its a shooter, I have picked up some modern ammo to try in it over the weekend.
    Obviously I won't be able to adjust the sights but should be able to shoot it at 50 yards and get an idea of where it's at.
    Will post results and if it's a shooter I will look at doing a "rusteration" staying true to the original rifle, keeping irons basically just clean up the surface rust and cold blueing it to protect it.
    Husky1600 likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

Remington model 341 Sportsmaster a delightful old American 22. You can scope them but side mount required from memory and not many of those round now. Better to enjoy it with old school open sights..

Here's a 40 years newer Remington bolt action 22 on trademe - the 70s model 541S . Again a well regarded and accurate 22:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/hun...b53df33d8f-001

Quote Originally Posted by mudgripz View Post
    Remington model 341 Sportsmaster a delightful old American 22. You can scope them but side mount required from memory and not many of those round now. Better to enjoy it with old school open sights..

Here's a 40 years newer Remington bolt action 22 on trademe - the 70s model 541S . Again a well regarded and accurate 22:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/hun...b53df33d8f-001
    Omg what a heinous scope on that poor rifle

Yup my intention is to keep it original and use the iron sights
    #DANNYCENT

Well she still shoots, this was standing shots at 25m, pretty hard without the rear sight ramp but functions perfectly and good enough for me to warrant giving her a little tidy up, I'll probably never shoot it except at the range as my eyesight and open sights don't agree as I found out today but very slick and faultless feeding little rifle.

That's 10 shots at 25m a couple went in the crack at the top just above the tape
    Name:  20200726_125326.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  4.56 MB
    #DANNYCENT

from memory I only ever had a small piece of copper water pipe doubled over underneath my ramp...didnt have anything up through groove,just enough under it to give desired elevation. cut a piece out of pipe about 1/4'' wide about 1 1/2'' long then bend one end over by about 1/2'' to give a slight taper that will jam in underneath and not fall out... pleased to read it functions fine.
    dannyb likes this.

I'm sure I've got some rear sight ramps here somewhere..
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mudgripz View Post
    I'm sure I've got some rear sight ramps here somewhere..
    Cheers Mike, I think @akaroa1 has me sorted I'll let ya know if not
    #DANNYCENT