Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast
Like Tree697Likes

Thread: Self isolation gun projects

Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    Finally got my horseback hunting rifle a new stock from a bloke off the thread, have fitted side mounted sling mounts, took a file to the scope rings to take any catch of the left hand side so I can sling it over my back will riding.
    Will now go see if it needs to be bedded, fit didn't seem perfect but it only has to accurate to a point, probably glass bed it anyway as I won't be happy with it otherwise.
    Might work the profile down a we bit too, I'm a fan of the slim forend.
    Let’s see some pictures!!!
    Micky Duck and rewa like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Finnwolf View Post
    As mentioned on my other thread I have been working on a fairly old Savage 22 single shot bolt action.

I steamed out those dings that could be steamed out and sanded the stock several time using progressively finer sandpaper and finishing off with bronze wool, I dampened the stock between sandings to get the best effect.

Despite suggestions to the contrary I used raw linseed oil ( it’s all I had and with lockdown couldn’t get any boiled stuff) but I thinned it with turps - meths was a fail. I’ve done two coats.

It’s turning out really well so far.

The barrel was a mess externally but I’ll attend that
    Update to the above:
    The barrel had lots of surface rust and scratches on the outside plus somebody had sanded the outside lengthwise with what I can only guess was 80 grit sandpaper or emery.

So, I used various grades of wet & dry paper to tidy up the outside, I couldn’t get rid of some of the original scratches despite over an hour plus of study effort but minimized them considerably, I then finished off by holding a Scotchbrite pad wrapped around the barrel and rotating the barrel while moving the pad from breech to muzzle slowly,

It sort of looks like a stainless Damascus barrel in some lights!

Looks OK from two metres away but any closer and you can still occasionally see the odd original longitudinal scratch from the 80 grit.

Then I gave the stock another go of linseed oil, it’s nice a dark, I now regret not taking a ‘before’ pic of this rifle.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    details Marky...details
    5000 x .401 pc coated 175gn truncated cone bundles of fun Micky boy!
    Micky Duck likes this.

Pulled this apart and reoiled the stock, cleaned up the lock and I'm 6 coats into the barrel browning. It'll be ready for spring hunting.
    Photo is before starting.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Nolan View Post
    Pulled this apart and reoiled the stock, cleaned up the lock and I'm 6 coats into the barrel browning. It'll be ready for spring hunting.
    Photo is before starting.
    Yo, those boots could do with some browning too!

But really nice musket there, looking 👍
    Ross Nolan likes this.

I keep those boots so I can pretend that I am still capable of work. I think the guys can see through me, but so far they are polite about it.

The rifle is a .54, with a 1:66' twist for roundballs - 230 grains of soft lead goodness starting off @1700 fps.
    Micky Duck, rewa and Finnwolf like this.

The rifle is a .54, with a 1:66' twist for roundballs - 230 grains of soft lead goodness starting off @1700 fps.
    @Ross Nolan nice rifle and even better it's left handed

I have three proper left hand MLs and some wrong handed ones

More info
    Own build, finishing someone else's project or a kit ?

It's a Jim Chambers English sporting rifle kit, with a L&R left handed round faced lock and Rice barrel. Chambers used their RH stock for the kit, but didn't inlet the lock.

I'm happy with it - light, accurate and plenty of poke. I built an aperture sight that dovetails into the tang and doesn't look too out of place because it was put together as a hunting rifle and I'm not 16 any more....Name:  ML Sporting Rifle 011.jpg
Views: 773
Size:  1.79 MB

Unusual that the lock is on the left, I can only remember muzzle loaders having their lock on the right. (And being a lefty that makes for a certain amount of trepidation when firing)
    Ross Nolan and Micky Duck like this.

It's a Jim Chambers English sporting rifle kit, with a L&R left handed round faced lock and Rice barrel. Chambers used their RH stock for the kit, but didn't inlet the lock.

I'm happy with it - light, accurate and plenty of poke. I built an aperture sight that dovetails into the tang and doesn't look too out of place because it was put together as a hunting rifle and I'm not 16 any more....Attachment 177105
    Very nice
    That's what I like to see

Yes not 16 anymore but when you were 16 you had other things on your mind and flintlock rifles wasn't one of them
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Finnwolf View Post
    Unusual that the lock is on the left, I can only remember muzzle loaders having their lock on the right. (And being a lefty that makes for a certain amount of trepidation when firing)
    Left hand locks were uncommon on single shot rifles
    But they were made for double barrel rifles and shotguns
    So not unheard of

The left hand back action lock on my .72 musket is likely to have come off a scrapped out double barrel shotgun

Original left hand single barrel guns are practically unknown, but I'm blind in my right eye and pretty protective of the left one - so a left hand lock gets the nod.

That said, I'd rather shoot a right hand flinter than a right handed cap gun - caps spray stuff everywhere. Of course, when you build one, you can build whatever you want, so left hand lock it is..
    Last edited by Ross Nolan; 31-08-2021 at 02:18 PM.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Yes percussion caps do regularly spit bits in the face that are hot and stick on

Flinters don't have this issue

My next muzzleloader build is going to be a percussion big bore and I'm considering using musket caps because they are less likely to spit out hot pieces
    They are also easier to place on the nipple when hunting due to size and the small wings on them
    Ross Nolan likes this.

What about a Mortimer..... maybe .62

Or this
    https://americanlongrifles.org/forum...?topic=66472.0

Finished, ready to rezero.
    Attached Images Attached Images