Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Shaping decoy positions

Anyone tried a heat gun on decoy necks to reshape them into a relaxed looking position?all my decoys are head high like an alarmed duck,was scouting area last weekend and all the groups of ducks I saw were either resting or sleeping( mudflats on of channels at low tide) was thinking of cutting heads off and reversing them to appear to be sleeping..ant thoughts?

some fellas have done the saw them off thing in the past....I just find excuse to buy a few sleepers to put in among the others. variety is the spice of life and it sure adds reality into a spread of decoys. bought some surface skimmers....not 100% sure I love them,but they do look good in close to shore.... a few with snuggled head and a few with head turned to the side please MY eyes but not 100% convinced the ducks notice...one thing is for sure,a movement decoy of better still two keep them focused and not looking for trouble.two dunkers.one on each edge of spread works well for us when water levels allow.
    the sleepers have fooled mr Hawk on two occasions Ive seen personally...funny as fcuk when hawk swoops down and smashes into decoy..then sits there with WTF expression before flying off again looking for a tenderer dinner.

Avoid using a heat gun to do anything, they will cave in when soft and you wont be able to fix them, best bet would be like, above try cutting or try buy/swap some.

I cut sections out of some of my decoy necks and then used a soldering iron to plastic weld the two parts together.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

None available over the counter locally closest is broncos in Tauranga,gonna get the hacksaw and soldering iron out out tomorrow morning I reakon..almost all the ducks I spotted when scouting were asleep or loafing on the mud flats the other day,looked nothing like my usual opening morning spree with almost all heads upright in alarmed looking positions..

Yep. Sawed .ost of my goose decoys necks and my homemade deks all have short necks.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Yea I chopped a heap of goose decoy necks down years ago then filled with foam and glued them,looked ugly up close but set looked way better.