Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Tikka T3 SS Superlight - Pimped

Less friction?

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Less friction?
    Its more about fiction than friction.

I did read somewhere that the spiral fluting cuts through ice accumulated on the bolt. What the hey?

That bolt handle!

The fluting may have taken the weight off that you added on by putting that bolt knob on

Never understood those big bolt knobs on a hunting rifle. Can't see anything practical about them.

Nice gun though mate, like the stock.
    Pointer likes this.

Someone mentioned ice . . There are some people who hunt in very cold temps over here and one theory is that the big bolt handle is easy to cycle when wearing gloves. NZ is blessed with a mild temperate climate for the most part so that may not be a consideration for many.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 17733
Size:  413.3 KB
    I got curious and weighed two Tikka T3 bolts.
    Top - T3 .308, fluted with standard handle and shroud = 280 gms
    Lower - T3, fluted with large bolt hand and steel shroud = 320 gms**

**the bolt knob is aluminium and the shroud is anodized steel - not aluminium
    Preview

Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm-- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves.

T.S. Eliot

Ok that makes sense. Thanks
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by kimjon View Post
    Looks cool.

I've been toying with making something similar in .223 as my main work rifle is shot out and long overdue for replacement. Only thing I don't like about the tikka is that you can't top load bullets inot the mag and the flush fitting mags don't hold enough (bullets)...but maybe some time on the milling machine could fix this issue by installing a rem700 BDL type mag box?

Q: Whats it weigh as you have it set up? Does the B&C stock add weight, or reduce weight?

kj
    I honestly was thinking the same thing last night, the only short fall would be no top loading due to the tiny tikka ejection port.
    I was thinking more along the lines of a flush fitting double stack mag,
    due mainly to the fact that you cant load from the top, and that 3 shots isnt as ideal as 5

the other idea I had was just to use it as it is. I rarely use more than the second shot, so 1 + 3 is perfectly adequate.
    a top feed and double stack with a floor plate would right up my alley tho, for a few hundred more you can have a sako A7 which is basically as light with the top load option, but still the magizine feed

Real nice looking rig, the bolt does look great I reacon, should be a tac driver

The spiral fluting looks real nice but I wonder why not do it straight so the bolt slides smoother in and out ? Or perpendicular into rings which might cope better with ice, for that matter ?

I love those b and c stocks. Could I bring one home in my luggage from the USA with no permits?

Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
    The spiral fluting looks real nice but I wonder why not do it straight so the bolt slides smoother in and out ? Or perpendicular into rings which might cope better with ice, for that matter ?
    I have a straight fluted 700 bolt that was done a while ago, it feels like crap to use compared to plenty of other spiral fluted ones I have.

The straight flutes pick up on the rounds in the mag....& mark them...

I have my Barnard actions straight fluted, they are mint, but completely different being single shot competition actions.