Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

Like Tree785Likes

Thread: Various Knives

Another of the Tahr Hunters ready to go with the scalloped OD canvas micarta over blaze liners on the 1095 blade with spine jimping in the plain closed top sheath having an attached honing steel.

NRT, Dreamer and DrYopnihc like this.

Away on todays international courier. Chamois Hunters with spalted Karelian Birch handles in the closed top sheath with attached honing steels.

outdoorlad, 199p, Dreamer and 6 others like this.

Very cool looking knives, do you stabilise them yourself?
    Or you can stay within 300 yards and keep life a lot simpler.

Quote Originally Posted by diana2 View Post
    Very cool looking knives, do you stabilise them yourself?
    I do the for the woods sourced in NZ but all the exhibition grade exotics I buy in are done in either Lithuania for those ones or the US from my other supplier.

Quote Originally Posted by Von Gruff Knives View Post
    Rather pleased with todays progress having the Hunting Sword done and ready to start on the scabbard. Lots of new things for me on this one so there is improvments to be made but for this one that will stay with me it is not a bad starting point.
    Weight is 1lb9oz with balance point 3 1/2 in ahead of the handle so nice blade weight for those slashing cuts but nimble enough for getting in to finish off that arrow wounded stag.
    That's amazing (a cutlass?), what sort of steel?
    ‘Facts don’t care about your feelings’

Quote Originally Posted by 300CALMAN View Post
    That's amazing (a cutlass?), what sort of steel?
    Not a cutlass which has a heavy curved blade, often used as a boarding sword by sailors or pirates. The hunting sword was a sword hunters carried for finishing off wounded game and was mostly used for stabbing much like a pig sticker but allowed the hunter to keep a little further away from thrashing hooves or slashing tusks. The steel is 1075 carbon steel. As it was only the financially well off that hunted the hunting sword was often elaboratley engraved and embellished and became a status symbol in that regard and was carried as a city sword.
    300CALMAN and Micky Duck like this.

This one will be away to Montana next week after the easter postal break.
    Bushcraft Hunter with Arizona Desert Ironwood with the A H logo in initaled sheath with attached honing steel.

A Thumbrest Skiner away to Montana with spalted Karelian Birch over stainless bolsters with G10 and stainless spacers in a closed top sheath with attached honing steel.

Quote Originally Posted by Von Gruff Knives View Post
    Not a cutlass which has a heavy curved blade, often used as a boarding sword by sailors or pirates. The hunting sword was a sword hunters carried for finishing off wounded game and was mostly used for stabbing much like a pig sticker but allowed the hunter to keep a little further away from thrashing hooves or slashing tusks. The steel is 1075 carbon steel. As it was only the financially well off that hunted the hunting sword was often elaboratley engraved and embellished and became a status symbol in that regard and was carried as a city sword.
    Some Cutlass were straight like the P1901 British version but yes definitely heavy slashing blades.

Beautiful piece of work your hunting sword and I would love to wear it around town, probably get me in some trouble!
    Von Gruff Knives likes this.
    ‘Facts don’t care about your feelings’

Another of the hatchets, stone washed 5.3mm 1075 and with buffalo horn handle and thickened pomel for tent pegging ready to head away to Washington State.

Pengy likes this.

An Ah EDC and a Hunbter skinner ready to go.
    The 1084 HC AH EDC has camel bone over black G10 liners, curve back buffalo horn bolster with simple leather loop lanyard in the closed to sheath.
    The 1084 HC Hunter skinner has the curve back buffalo horn bolster with NZ Rimu handle in the initialled left hand sheath.

Micky Duck likes this.

I have been working on a batch of tribute knives the last couple of weeks and they are away being engraved and should be back in two weeks. In the meantime Since then I finished this 6 inch K tip general purpose kitchen knife in NitroV with "spilled milk" acrylic scales.

This Safari knife has CB Buffalo horn bolster and camel bone with black G10 liners on the 1095 blade in closed top sheath having the A H logo and edge stamping with attached honing steel

Pengy likes this.

Looks like the Acrylic scales would look good on various chef's knives etc.

@CBH Australia Have done a few chef sets with acrylic in white and a very nice black cherry version.
    CBH Australia likes this.