Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
Like Tree771Likes

Thread: Walnut stock build (done the traditional way)

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    well I guess I CAN FORGIVE YOU for mucking around with a Zastava if the new barrel will make it something you love..... my hardwood stock it came in isnt too bad once I stripped and oiled it....got all fancy and built a rough ugly superlight on,tried it....and then put origonal back on LOL...it works so wont muck around with it.
    Don’t worry @Micky Duck it’ll be a very classy bit of kit when I’m finished with it, trust me
    Micky Duck likes this.

yeah I know.....IF one day I ever wear out barrel and run out of .223 projectiles,and somehow find some 6mm ones...might have to consider it myself..cant see it happening.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter_Nick View Post
    Well @Mathias you know just as well as I do what a great cartridge the 6x45 is. It’s the ‘go to’ rifle for me for damn near everything these days. I’ve taken 5 deer with it over the last couple of months (4 reds and a fallow spiker), and it just gets the job done.

I’ve got my ultimate 6x45 in the works, going to be built off a Zastava action (because I can’t afford a Vixen based on the price the last one on TM sold for!) with a nice walnut stock on it. The BSA is great, but the bolt and receiver are full-size, where the Zastava is more appropriately sized for the case.
    Yep, the cost efficient 6x45 is a hard one to pass in this reloading shortage environment. Good news on the second addition to the family, the Zastava will be a great basis as we have seen before on the forum. Look forward to seeing some pic's when she's all go.
    What bullet did you end up sticking with for venison harvest?
    Hunter_Nick likes this.

The first 3 deer I short was with the 85gr HPBT Sierra, including a red spiker, the biggest red hind I be ever seen and her yearling. Bullet performance was great. Next three I shot with (believe it or not) the 100gr Core Lokt. Great penetration, low bruising/meat wastage but potentially slightly slower killing than the 85s.
    Next bullet I’m going to try (because they’re on the shelf) will be the 85gr SPT Sierra Varminter. Should be just a touch softer than the HPBT. My rifle seems to prefer flat base bullets, so I’ll only be using that style from here on.
    I’ve got a good mate who has shot large quantities of game with a number of 6x45s, and has never used anything heavier than 75gr in his. His #1 6x45 was even built with a 1-14 twist! It’s very accurate and very fast. He’s currently knocking all his deer over with the 75gr V-Max. His comments and yours have got me wanting to try the 75gr Sierra at some point.
    Micky Duck and Mathias like this.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Have yet to try the 85gr HPBT on deer myself, have a few loaded up and they shoot same POI as the 75gr HP. I have some 105gr round nose Speer loaded up for fun too, but need to see how they print paper first. I ended up with a lot of 6mm projectiles from a deceased estate, so no running out in a hurry. I would think you are spot on with your comments with the 85gr SPT Sierra, bit of extra lead up front and a thinner jacket I'd imagine.

Both the 85gr Sierra’s have the same jacket thickness. I cut the bases off both, melted the lead out and checked. The SPT has a slightly bigger hollow point behind the lead, hence I think they will be a little softer.
    For interest sakes, the jacket on both is 0.019” in the shank portion of the bullet. I suspect the 75gr HP will be the same…. Albeit with a bigger HP again
    SixtyTen likes this.

Quick update to this. Been slowly working on the finish, almost ready to start checkering hopefully next week. Pores of the wood 95% filled, just a little more finish required, then a cut back to soften the shine. The grain is looking really nice

Name:  FF082110-F2C0-4AAD-A2EB-AE0DB472198C.jpeg
Views: 535
Size:  155.4 KB
    Pengy, FRST, Pauli and 18 others like this.

Nothing beats the reflections, light and figure in a nice piece of walnut. She's looking really good.
    Hunter_Nick likes this.
    "That is ever the way of the Highlander. He alters like a clear pool to every mood of the sky, so that the shallow observer knows not how deep the waters are."

I might have missed it, but are you going to bed it? Looks good. I know what’s going to turn up in the hate section…..the first scratch
    Hunter_Nick likes this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    I might have missed it, but are you going to bed it? Looks good. I know what’s going to turn up in the hate section…..the first scratch
    Yes it’s definitely been bedded. I inletted as close as I could around the top line for the traditional look, but added some ‘modern’ features below. It’s built to hunt, and scratches tell stories!

Name:  F6B4454A-8DB8-422D-95BB-79BD4F9DDB21.jpeg
Views: 488
Size:  98.1 KB
    ANTSMAN, Pengy, Micky Duck and 2 others like this.

Cool did mine as we’ll pillar then full length Name:  BB174EDC-F856-4296-B078-A52B7DE2D5FC.jpeg
Views: 491
Size:  1.31 MB
    Name:  C440AB2C-09F7-425D-9B17-2BA6A3C49577.jpeg
Views: 499
Size:  1.97 MBName:  A9D225EF-2B71-4628-BC31-54B4AFE39B8F.jpeg
Views: 538
Size:  2.25 MB
    Now just in the process of adding the scratches. As the song goes.
    “The first cut is the deepest”
    Name:  3EFE0276-D295-43F4-80DE-7AEAE4433D4B.jpeg
Views: 544
Size:  4.91 MB
    Name:  F2D9E178-B00D-4901-BBBB-D1BD2DF65E45.jpeg
Views: 561
Size:  3.42 MB
    The blank.
    Name:  D10B46A2-3DB0-41EF-9AB1-0FC938CD0496.jpeg
Views: 479
Size:  198.9 KB
    The cut out.
    Name:  6BCD0789-9D3D-4F38-B787-6F86945FE64E.jpeg
Views: 499
Size:  1.66 MB
    Name:  FE6B2742-6BA2-4E96-AE0F-B221A1F64322.jpeg
Views: 487
Size:  1.11 MB
    But hats off your doing your own.
    All I did was the finish the checking and the bedding.
    Ranal, Micky Duck, Boxton and 1 others like this.

Sorry to highjack the thread. My build was around 2 years from start to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    Sorry to highjack the thread. My build was around 2 years from start to finish.
    All good @Sideshow that’s a very nice piece of walnut you have there! I bet you spend a lot of time looking at it!

Yeah Nick the wife is starting to worry
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Bloody epic!
    How much to do a custom stock for me?
    Hunter_Nick likes this.