Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: 7.62x39 Ammo Identification

7.62x39 Ammo Identification

Hi, I'm new to the forum.

First question, is this the appropriate group to ask questions about ammo identification? Apologies if I'm in the wrong place.

I have an open spam can of 7.62x39 and want to make sure I have all the details correct before attempting to sell.

What I think so far is: - Steel case, FMJ (probably steel core, copper washed), lacquer sealed at neck and primer, made in 1973 in Romania , powder manufactured in 1972.
    Rounds are packed in plain unbleached cardboard boxes of 20 rounds and have no writing on the boxes.
    Name:  20240124_132349.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  364.9 KBName:  DSC_8501-Enhanced-NR.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  346.0 KBName:  DSC_8507.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  741.6 KB

My bullet puller is packed away, otherwise I would pull a projectile, weigh it and cut it in half to check.
    Will the primers be corrosive?

Can someone help confirm my identification and add anything more.

Any help Appreciate :-)

Jim
    Last edited by Jim'z; 24-01-2024 at 03:30 PM.

more than likely 123grn??..most of it is. possibly the forum is wrong but no biggie. one of the guys who used lots of this stuff will be along soon with answers to what it is.... not as easy to sell anymore as there are far less x39s in usage.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    more than likely 123grn??..most of it is. possibly the forum is wrong but no biggie. one of the guys who used lots of this stuff will be along soon with answers to what it is.... not as easy to sell anymore as there are far less x39s in usage.
    Thanks Micky Duck,

Yeah, it was purchased in the semi-auto days :-( Got a bit too much for my bolt action.

BTW, what forum would you recommend? I'm still trying to find my way around here :-)

possibly reloading n ballistics but..yeah nah heres as good as anywhere LOL.
    Jim'z likes this.

Romanian 123gr FMJ steel core. Not restricted. Aoraki Ammo were selling them a few years back 5-6yrs $500 a case of two spam cans. Not bad ammo. Berdan primed as most ex-Eastern block stuff was.
    Micky Duck and Jim'z like this.

Hey Tasbay, thank you for the confirmation and additional info.

Excuse my ignorance but what does "Not restricted" mean and would you know if the primers are corrosive?

Also, out of interest, do you know what the PSgs stands for on the spam lid? I thought this was the typical place to ref the projectile type but couldn't find a ref?

Jim

not restricted...means its ok to own it.... some tracer and armour piercing stuff would put you on a naughty list
    Jim'z likes this.

heres the original info FYI

https://www.facebook.com/86129845726...0406320023912/

Expect it to be corrosive, it was made in the 70s and Romanian is reputed to be non corrosive only sometime after the 1990s

1943PS is the original reference for the 'standard' 7.62x39 bullet - mild steel jacket over lead core. Standard as in not hardened, not armour piercing, not tracer, just bog standard general purpose. Which is likely what was meant by not restricted.
    Micky Duck and Jim'z like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    not restricted...means its ok to own it.... some tracer and armour piercing stuff would put you on a naughty list
    I thought so but wanted to check it wasn't a more specific term, thx :-)
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by svt40 View Post
    heres the original info FYI

https://www.facebook.com/86129845726...0406320023912/

Expect it to be corrosive, it was made in the 70s and Romanian is reputed to be non corrosive only sometime after the 1990s

1943PS is the original reference for the 'standard' 7.62x39 bullet - mild steel jacket over lead core. Standard as in not hardened, not armour piercing, not tracer, just bog standard general purpose. Which is likely what was meant by not restricted.
    Yeah, that looks like the ammo I've got. Thanks for the FB ref and the additional info, much appreciated :-)

What I meant by not restricted is it`s not Armour piercing, Tracer, incendiary or any other ammunition that is now prohibited. It`s just standard ex-communist block jacketed soft steel core with corrosive Berdan primers. Which is why SKS , AK and other Communist block barrels were Crome bored. Nothing a jug of boiling water won`t fix, still plenty of 303 Enfield's around , after years of shooting Berdan primed ammunition.

I shoot pretty well nothing else out of my Ruger American and prior to that My Ruger Mini30 ( before Jacinda took it off me). No Rot issues just clean it.
    rugerman, Micky Duck and Jim'z like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tasbay View Post
    What I meant by not restricted is it`s not Armour piercing, Tracer, incendiary or any other ammunition that is now prohibited. It`s just standard ex-communist block jacketed soft steel core with corrosive Berdan primers. Which is why SKS , AK and other Communist block barrels were Crome bored. Nothing a jug of boiling water won`t fix, still plenty of 303 Enfield's around , after years of shooting Berdan primed ammunition.

I shoot pretty well nothing else out of my Ruger American and prior to that My Ruger Mini30 ( before Jacinda took it off me). No Rot issues just clean it.
    All good Tasbay, was just checking cos I'm bit new here.

Yeah, I shot plenty of corrosive ammo through my SKS and AK but like you say chrome bore. I'll still shoot what I have in my CZ 527 and just clean it well, NP :-)

BTW, curiosity got the better of me and I pulled a projectile. I was surprised to find a boattail? And confirmed, soft steel core with steel jacket.

Thanks for your responses, much appreciated.

Yep they are Boat tail. With the war in Ukraine sucking up ammunition including this calibre I wouldn`t be too quick in selling yours off. I doubt there will be much more coming into the country, well the European stuff anyway..
    300CALMAN and Jim'z like this.

If you decide to sell, What price per 20?

Quote Originally Posted by Tararua Phil View Post
    If you decide to sell, What price per 20?
    Hey Tararua Phil, I put 200 rounds up on TradeMe last nigh https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketpl...6?bof=MJ3DkIh0