Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Trade 7mm 162 ELDX for 168 Berger VLD

Have a reasonable surplus of the 162's that my rifle seems to digest pretty well. Being a factory Tikka with a 1:9.5 twist seems that the 168's may be getting on the high side for stabilisation. Would like to try a few before committing to a full box if anyone has a few extras around. Primary use is target, just for fun, but like to use the same round to hunt with. The 162's do the business on the venison, assuming the Bergers do the same? Open to generic feedback as well if anyone else is shooting similar.

I have 300 of these if you want to try them we can swap one for one if you want to try 20 or however many. They are older as you can see from the label before the days when Berger now has a target and a hunting bullet. I am not sure if they are suitable as a hunting projectile.

Name:  DSC01383-001.JPG
Views: 346
Size:  169.6 KB

I'd be keen to give a few a go. Any idea if they are different from what's currently available from Berger?

G'day HuntGatherRepeat mate I bought some 168gr vld projectiles worked up a load that shot bug holes at 100yds but lost faith in them
    I shot 3 wild bulls from 150yds to 400yds and was far from happy with the vld results if they hit the inward rib they exploded on impact and if they don't hit bone
    they just penciled straight through all 3 bulls required additional hits to bring them down and everything since has been pass throughs and not stopping the animals
    and this I think is unethical to have runners
    In my opinion they would be good for target shooting as is the 162gr eld-m and the 162gr eld-x have tried all 3 on wild cattle and not happy with their performances
    So I've switched to norma Oryx 156gr with which I haven't hunted with yet and Hornady 154gr interlock which I have used and it hits like the hammer of Thor instant kill
    Both shoot .5 moa so i'm happy so far or at least with the 154gr
    Mate I've got 1/2 dozen 162gr eld-x, nigh on a full box 162gr eld-m and 43 Berger 168gr vld hunting if anyone is interested I offered them over here but nobody was interested
    I don't know how to go about sending things to NZ but I can't see any problems doing so
    I know your post is a few days old but just putting this out there

Cheers