Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Always Identify your target beyond all doubt

Always Identify your target beyond all doubt

Sad news today, but definately did not identify his target.

Oscar Pistorius shoots girlfriend - reports | News24
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

wow
    VIVA LA HOWA

Always Identify your target beyond all doubt

Perhaps he DID identify his target...police are apparently looking into a murder investigation.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    I guess most of us here don't understand the issues in SA that cause people to have firearms beside their beds.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

We had a police minister that used to have one under his bed, Shotgun Trevor.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

SiB
    he'll argue a defence that he was so pissed he was legless . . . .

Ejected
    Looks like he did identify it.....

Thats the one rule I always tend to forget, targets are always black round things, that are fully visible, in good light and stay still, I dont need to ID them.....I should start shooting critters I guess....here bunny...bunny.....

What I wondered on was the 4 shots....1, or 2 yes...though Ive been told that if you are not "experienced" once you start pulling that trigger you cannot stop.

@Rushy, yes. New neighbour is from SA, they left after her father was shot dead with multiple AK47s/gun wounds in a home invasion (sounds more like a war grade assault), the rest of them just happened to be out at the time so survived.

regards

Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    @Rushy, yes. New neighbour is from SA, they left after her father was shot dead with multiple AK47s/gun wounds in a home invasion (sounds more like a war grade assault), the rest of them just happened to be out at the time so survived.

regards
    Jeese Steven, i spent 8 years in california, and even i havent got a story to compare with that....tragic
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Always point firearms in a safe direction Loaded or unloaded, always point the ... Identify your target beyond all doubt Make sure of your target before firing.

I got one.

Back in the late 80's and 90's, my dad was a maintenance plumber in an Army base in Northern Ireland during the troubles. His work buddy answered a knock at the door late one Sunday night only to find 8 heavily armed masked men kicking it down. He rushed inside too late to grab his loaded shotgun. They grabbed him and his wife. Tied her up and beat him about. They forced him to drive his work van loaded with explosives into the base gate, while they followed with his wife to make sure he did it. The man managed to crash the van into the bombproof tank traps they put outside the gates, kick the window out and jump into the sanger before it went up. His wife was found later safe but beaten up.

So we had a loaded pump behind the front door, my double barrel in my room, my dad had loaded pistol at all times and he wore a kelvar vest on his way to work. I had to go to school everymorning after checking for undercar booby traps. My dad taught me reloading drills, how to handle a pistol and we went to the range anytime it was possible.

My dad's uncle worked for the same firm. He and his mates were blown up on the way home one evening from the base, when the terrorists detonated a bomb under the road. 14 in the van. 6 survived. He never worked a day afterwards. He couldn't hear or see properly and could only walk with a stick. He was only a carpenter!

When you see all the tacticool geeks on youtube customising their weapons for looks - it's all macho, Movie BS. When you have to use it you want it simple, reliable and effective.
    heinnz likes this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by scottrods View Post
    When you have to use it you want it simple, reliable and effective.
    So the message there is nothing fancy, just simple tried and true functionality.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

SiB
    These stories are good reminders that here in NZ, we do have it pretty good. Few of us have truly experienced that constant, and real need to be ever on the alert for the genuine risk 'out there'. SA, Ireland, US, PNG - not NZ quite yet, despite Mr Mega's aspirations.

Mistaken identity (we assume) the cause behind this latest incident fuels the fires of hysteria surrounding owning weapons.

As responsible hunters and shooters, we have to ensure we always show the measured restraint and wisdom owning our firearms requires.

It will be the criminal, and the un-balanced who will continue to inflate the fear in non-gun owners of the 'risk' our weapons pose. We MUST ensure we always remind these people that it is man that kills man - weapons on their own tend to sit pretty quietly in the gun cupboard I've noticed.

It's the individual - not the weapon we must focus on. It's that individual who will pull the trigger. It's us who must do our best to ensure only the responsible can ever pull that trigger.
    scottrods, Scouser and Dynastar27 like this.

Looks like he did identify his target, with the facts coming out its looking less and less accidental.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."