Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 4 Post By Cigar
  • 1 Post By outdoorlad
  • 2 Post By Cigar

Thread: Cable Gun Lock

Cable Gun Lock

Finally getting back into shooting after all the arseholery.
    When carrying a firearm in a car to the range for example, does a cable gun lock threaded through the breech/ejection port and mag-well comply?
    Have some already, so checking before I buy the combination trigger lock types.

Gone but not forgotten
    By the strict wording of the legislation, they do not comply, but somewhere on the police website they say cable locks etc are considered trigger locks (I'll try to find it again and post the link).
    I'd say you are okay, as even though technically you don't comply the police are highly likely to consider you all good - and if they don't you can point out to the judge what is on their website!

Page 12 of this document: https://www.police.govt.nz/sites/def...e-guidance.pdf
    Last edited by Cigar; 03-06-2022 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Added link

Cheers for that Cigar.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    By the strict wording of the legislation, they do not comply, but somewhere on the police website they say cable locks etc are considered trigger locks (I'll try to find it again and post the link).
    I'd say you are okay, as even though technically you don't comply the police are highly likely to consider you all good - and if they don't you can point out to the judge what is on their website!

Page 12 of this document: https://www.police.govt.nz/sites/def...e-guidance.pdf
    The term inoperable is used. A cable lock achieves this

Banned
    If the cable secures the firearm to the vehicle so much the better - round the car seat frame mount is what many people are doing

I use a cable lock as I found a trigger lock won’t fit on one of my rifles trigger guards, just don’t speed so you don’t get stopped
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by omark View Post
    The term inoperable is used. A cable lock achieves this
    The actual wording is "made inoperable if readily possible by removing the bolt or another vital part"
    tetawa and Eat Meater like this.