Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By screamO
  • 2 Post By JRW87

Thread: A category strong room

A category strong room

Hi there,

I am yet to talk to my AO about this but I just thought I would ask here quickly if anyone has any experience with this?

I will be building a sleepout pretty soon and I want half of it to be a dedicated strong room and reloading room. I have been reading through the arms code and there is very little specification of what would constitute a strong room. My intention is to make a number of gun racks so I can have all my guns on the walls (locked as well) and ammo will be in a locked and bolted down cabinet in the room. There will be only 1 opening and it will be an external door. I will be making the door with a 3 point locking system out of steel plate and box section, set within a steel frame in the building. The walls and roof will be internally lined with 18mm melamine coated MDF.

I am also looking at simple alarm systems as well so I have some notification when the door is open.

Is this enough for an A category strong room? I want it to be secure.

Cheers

Sounds more than sufficient to me for an A cat. If they want in they will get in. Things like cordless skill saws, grinders and drills are marvels for cutting holes in walls, etc (normally stolen from the building site). In general I think people overlook most security...we all like to make sure the doors are locked etc but if your in a building with corro iron or a lot of the hardie sheet products a cordless drill will have you in in a couple minutes.
    veitnamcam and Beaker like this.

Yeah thats my thoughts as well, a cordless grinder would get you in all the cheap safes in a couple of minutes. I will try and get hold of my AO in the next couple of days and see what he thinks.

Ply or Triboard lined on the inside, screw fixed would be ample. Could beef it up again with sheet of mesh reinforcing stapled between framing and lining so a skill saw cant be used to get through... Solid core door which opens out so cant be kicked in and a reed switch alarm would more than comply...

Price up spending more on interior linings vs just doing poured block walls with a render on the outside and just furring and normal gib inside for if you ever want to go E-cat.
    stumpy and sparky1000 like this.

Yeah one of my mates does a lot of precast concrete structures and he says we can do it that way. It will up the price a bit but eventually I would like to get b and e cat so it might be easier to do it now.

http://selector.com/nz/products/afs-logicwall-system Im not sure Id go as far as tilt slab or precast for a sleepout myself but I worked a few weeks conduiting out these AFS walls, the whole system was pretty slick and easy to work on as far as electrical went with cutting out boxes in the hardie board forms. Much easier than following blockies.