Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Club Broken into, Rifles Stolen

The Original Striker

Club Broken into, Rifles Stolen

Larskramer likes this.
    Bigger Better Faster Stronger
    Handle the Jandle, or get off the Beach

The Original Striker

I should have posted it in Firearm Safety though....

Yeah my old small bore club got broken into years ago (before my time) and all the club rifles got stolen
    They cut the safe open with an angle grinder apparently
    The fact of the matter is truthfully do we think that a gun club that only gets visitors a couple of times a week at most is a good place to store firearms? I don’t think so personally
    Our club lerned from the mistake and from then on the rifles were stored by one of the committee members who we had also appointed club armour talking 15 years since i had anything to do with the club so might have changed
    Pengy likes this.

Why don't the police just see who has registered these firearms now? That will surely lead them straight there. Crime solved, durr!
    The only Government to trust: .45-70

Oh sorry. I just realised stealing firearms isn't an "activating circumstance"

Drat for them eh.
    Sharki likes this.
    The only Government to trust: .45-70

Update
    https://www.waikatotimes.co.nz/nz-ne...Pos=0#cxrecs_s

Still 11 firearms missing...

It's a sad fact that the advent of battery disc grinders with skinny cut off discs has rendered pretty much any security ineffective, short of something so massive as to be prohibitively expensive, not just gun safes either, locked forestry gates, access to walking trails, etc are fair game these days.
    Micky Duck and XR500 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shananah View Post
    It's a sad fact that the advent of battery disc grinders with skinny cut off discs has rendered pretty much any security ineffective, short of something so massive as to be prohibitively expensive, not just gun safes either, locked forestry gates, access to walking trails, etc are fair game these days.
    This is what the Police in Western Australia are pushing for, 6mm thick safes. This will basically mean all current safes and those available to buy will not be up to the new specifications. It will be prohibitive to import one and illegal to build one.
    shananah likes this.
    I'm trying to get to heaven before they shut the door.

Quote Originally Posted by nor-west View Post
    This is what the Police in Western Australia are pushing for, 6mm thick safes. This will basically mean all current safes and those available to buy will not be up to the new specifications. It will be prohibitive to import one and illegal to build one.
    Then you gota lift or trolly jack it inside yr house or storage garage.Be a heavy bitch of a safe.

A photo recently on stuff where the boys in blue busted some gang boyos knee deep in illicits including 5 firearms that looked suspiciously like club target rifles with aperture sights etc.

bet the gang heirachy turned the air blue too hwen the realised their Xmas bonuses and product was now in the hands of costers cuddly commandoes.
    shananah likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Trout View Post
    Then you gota lift or trolly jack it inside yr house or storage garage.Be a heavy bitch of a safe.
    My gun safe is a home made item, made out of 5mm steel plate, it's about as tall as me (6'2") it weighs slightly north of "heavy as f#ck" during my "inspection" it was noted I was "not messing around when it came to security"
    nor-west and Dan88 like this.

Did the inspector still give it a shake to make sure it's bolted down ?

makes me wonder if putting plywood boxing around outside and encasing in a good 100mm of concrete has merit..sure as shit would stop it being carried away LOL.
    Zedrex and shananah like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Before I got given a safe I was going to build one and do a combination of 4mm steel with hardy board on the inside and macrocarpa on the outside with some floating steel rods in there for good measure. It's not just battery grinders now either. I have seen other tools that will make short work of 8mm mild steel
    Dan88 likes this.

A good one is reinforcing mesh sandwiched between sheets of 18mm MDF, if they use a skilsaw, they'll have teeth flying at them and if they use a grinder they'll suffocate themselves on the smoke.
    Also like the idea of free spinning steel rods, that'll slow anyone down. Hardest part to protect is the hinges.
    shananah likes this.