Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Does a person need to do anything other than view a valid licence, to sell reloading

Does a person need to do anything other than view a valid licence, to sell reloading

Hi all, just curious about the new system. I see you do have to notify when selling ammunition, just not sure about components for reloading. Thanks

last i heard it was 2025 to notify for ammo. Just need to see a fal at this stage. Dont quote me but components aren't assembled ammo so you should be fine.

A firearms license is not required to buy any reloading components.
    BSA likes this.

Not sure if I get the question....Are you talking about a person buying reloading components and license checks by person selling components? Or are you talking about selling reloads you have made?

For selling components FAL is not needed at this stage (I am sure it is in the works for the next step....its the piece of paper they will try cutting with....) but for sellng reloaded ammo I think dealers license is needed to sell and FAL to purchase....
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

Timattalon, yes the former. Selling and buying of individual components like powder, primers to other fal owners. Not hand loads/loaded ammo. Do I need to ensure they are licensed and view their licence to sell. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by k300 View Post
    Timattalon, yes the former. Selling and buying of individual components like powder, primers to other fal owners. Not hand loads/loaded ammo. Do I need to ensure they are licensed and view their licence to sell. Thanks
    You did not used to need a license. I dont think you do yet for projectiles and cases but not 100% sure on primers powder. Not yet I think...but I could be wrong. I have not bought any for quite some time so cannot confirm for certain. If there has been any doubt in my mind whther I should ask to see a license I have asked and generally most are quite happy. I will not begrudge someone asking to see my license if they were unsure.
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

I've not heard of any changes even for powder however I found most shops require it as a matter of policy for powder/primers. I did encounter one shop that was quite honest about the current law and only had a cursory glance when I offered it.
    Still it doesn't hurt to view it to at least know you are handing over any powder or primers to a well adjusted person
    timattalon likes this.

Certain gun shops require you to show your fal when you buy anything from them but its just their policy not law yet. Shit I even had to show my fal to buy a thread protector...

We ask for a FAL for powder at GC. We don't need to for primers but some staff may. We don't need it by law but it's a store policy. Just keeping our ass clean really.

over here, over there, either here, or there
    Quote Originally Posted by Coop View Post
    We ask for a FAL for powder at GC. We don't need it by law but it's a store policy. Just keeping our ass clean really.
    If it's not required by law, what is the store policy if a (potential) customer declines your request to view a f/a licence?
    BSA and outlander like this.

well it is gunpowder after all.....Im sure Mr Fawks didnt get asked back in the day...and look how that turned out for him!!!!
    I would be rather wary of a person wanting to buy powder and or primers who DIDNT have a licence.....the attitude test would come into effect.
    witchcraft likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by no1_49er View Post
    If it's not required by law, what is the store policy if a (potential) customer declines your request to view a f/a licence?
    There's a key thing in legislation that a lot of gun stores and reloaders miss when saying the false statement that you don't need a firearms licence to buy smokeless and black powder.
    While it is true that there is nothing in the Arms Act requiring it. You may only sell it to someone with a firearms licence under the Hazardous substance regulations "Health and Safety at Work (Hazardous Substances) Regulations 2017". See Clause 9.8.
    You are also in breach of the Health and Safety at Work (Hazardous Substances) Regulations 2017 if you possess black powder or smokeless powder without a controlled substance licence or firearms licence. The different categories are tabulated here with the requirements and exemptions: https://www.legislation.govt.nz/regu...p=1#DLM7311208
    See clauses 9.5 to 9.8 to find the various exceptions that allow firearm licence holders to possess, purchase, and transport up to 15kg.

Before anyone thinks that only applies to when your working because of the name of the regulations. This regulation is made under Section 212 of the Health and Safety at Work Act 2015 which states they can apply to "any person" and is not constrained to the workplace.

I note the last several times I've brought powder I have had to produce a firearms licence, but not for primers, which don't come into this requirement. I assume the stores are legally complying with regulations in asking for a firearms licence, not just internal policy.
    Magnetite likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by no1_49er View Post
    Store policy is to politely tell them we won't sell to them. If they will be a dick about it then they will be asked to leave.
    madjon_, Micky Duck and Squirrel like this.

Seems pretty clear, thanks for sharing Makros!

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    well it is gunpowder after all.....Im sure Mr Fawks didnt get asked back in the day...and look how that turned out for him!!!!
    I would be rather wary of a person wanting to buy powder and or primers who DIDNT have a licence.....the attitude test would come into effect.
    To take a brief step sideways I never did understand the Fawkes / fireworks connection..I know he tried to blow up parliament with gunpowder....but why do we celebrate? We light fireworks because he FAILED to blow up parliament? Or do we let of firewroks because we wish he had not?....
    Micky Duck likes this.