Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Dropped ammo exploding

I'm older and wiser now
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Tbirdsteve View Post
    Hi guys,

One of the hats I wear is as Postmaster and today I got an interesting E-mail regarding prohibited items in the post.

NZ Post is very picky about having guns and ammo not enter the posting system - guns because gangs like to steal them and ammo due to safety concerns.

Anyway, this month someone sent a packet of 9mm ammunition via packet post, and while it was being sorted it dropped on the floor at the sorting centre and two rounds went off, one round apparently just missing a worker. Has anyone else had such a situation or been around when it happened?

I have heard of one round going off on very rare occasions but this is the first time I've heard of two rounds exploding after a fumble.
    Are there any more details on the packaging and how/where the rounds went off ?

To me, it sounds half urban legend / half remarkable luck that the primer on 9mm will detonate when dropped on to concrete floor.

More info on the source of the story ?
    Maca49 likes this.

Dropping ammo and it going off?

If if the round got hot,(really damn hot) The projectiles wont fly at all, if anything, possibly the primer or the case will move, and it wont be far.

Someones telling porkys........

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
    When unconfined ammo ignites it is generally a pretty feeble afair as the the pressure does not build after the projectile and case are pushed apart - there is simply no barrel for the powder to burn inside. Since the case is often lighter than the projectile it is usually the case which moves the most with the projectile barely moving at all. Both have so little energy imparted to them that a couple of layers of strong cardboard usually stop them.

I have personally witnessed tests of this happening.
    clips on youtube as well.
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Quote Originally Posted by Tbirdsteve View Post
    Hi guys,

One of the hats I wear is as Postmaster and today I got an interesting E-mail regarding prohibited items in the post.

NZ Post is very picky about having guns and ammo not enter the posting system - guns because gangs like to steal them and ammo due to safety concerns.

Anyway, this month someone sent a packet of 9mm ammunition via packet post, and while it was being sorted it dropped on the floor at the sorting centre and two rounds went off, one round apparently just missing a worker. Has anyone else had such a situation or been around when it happened?

I have heard of one round going off on very rare occasions but this is the first time I've heard of two rounds exploding after a fumble.
    I find that hard to believe.........

regards
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

I got a picture with the e-mail - I'll forward it and post here. I was very sceptical at first too but they're not in the habit of deliberately lying. It didn't say what happened to the sender but part of the terms of use are that a sender can be held liable for any damages etc if the sending rules are broken, so they could be sued for the cost of shutting down the sorting centre.

Here are the pictures which were circulated with the e-mail - they're not very clear and at least one is inverted.

Name:  image002.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  13.0 KB

In fact in this one to me it doesn't even look as if it's exploded properly. Maybe it popped out the side or something.

Name:  image004.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  9.9 KB

Package looks like one of my dogs ate it.
    Can't see the ammo making the package explode like that. Wonder how it was really being "handled"???

Still not good trying to post ammo. Everyone knows (or should know) the rules.
    Trying to get around not getting a form signed by the Police and putting it in the post to save on courier fees, makes it harder for those who do everything right.
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    That looks kind of cool.
    Guess what I'm going to try?
    have you tried it yet?

I;m about to send off some stuff, seems fastways are the only ones who will courier firearms?
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Anyone couriers firearms if they don't know its firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Which is all happy till something vanishes and you have to make a claim. From experience the first question is what was in the package?
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    I;m about to send off some stuff, seems fastways are the only ones who will courier firearms?
    Bring it round & we can get it sorted no drama, I use Fastways all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Yep all good until something dumb happens & it gets lost, damaged or split open.

Nek Minite no insurance (which is generally only $1500) and them asking you some fairly interesting questions about sending restricted items...

Came across a curly one the other day that had me going WTF... seriously... so I had to pay more for increased insurance...

Sending stuff overseas via NZ post international courier is covered up to $2k IIRC, if there is a claim on it & its worth over $2k they pay out $0 like, Nah Dah, Zip, Zero

It was in the fine print...I must investigate other couriers policies...

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    Bring it round & we can get it sorted no drama, I use Fastways all the time
    Hey thanks for that

I could say its just a paintball gun but in reality it could best be described as a permanent marker, hopefully it will be off to a new home as long as the paperwork arrives soon.

Especially since I have spent what I got for it in advance, eh