Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Effectiveness of security cameras

Effectiveness of security cameras

Has anyone heard of a gun theft being solved by security camera records ?

Either personal experience or “A mate told me about this …”.

Was the thief convicted ? Was the firearm recovered ?

ive installed at multiple sites, i know that the pub that got robbed the police used the footage to convict the felon

I’ve got a couple of Ring cameras on my section. Alert me if they pick up people and save video to the cloud( a.k.a. Someone else’s computer).

Rate it as I can check alerts remotely.
    Only piss around is, it sometimes alerts if it’s really windy and the trees move too much.
    Works at night too.
    Woody and Russian 22. like this.

we had a serious fire next door at11 40pm,destroyed neighbours state unit.
    fire service fire investigators viewed our footage today to track the timeline and it was a+one is due back tommorow to download it as part of their documentation.
    In fact looking at the whole thing is bloody chilling including me keeping the boundary fence wet via garden hose as bloody fire swirled in front of me.
    so CCTVsecurity gets a+++++++++++from me.
    Last edited by kotuku; 25-01-2023 at 07:28 PM.

i installed a 9 camera system from jaycar and since then we havent had any visitors.. It used to be a regular occurence

We have security camera's on our road a few people have had a door knock by the men and ladies in blue now. Also believe there has been a conviction. Its say a 45 minutes between the two cameras so if a vehicle has taking two hours you know its up to no good at 1am in the morning.
    A mate also has them on his batch one on the drive and one mounted inside house looking on to rear deck. Any alerts are sent to his cell phone
    Pengy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
    Has anyone heard of a gun theft being solved by security camera records ?

Either personal experience or “A mate told me about this …”.

Was the thief convicted ? Was the firearm recovered ?
    Gun thief no but anything to help you out these days, if its a clear picture it will help.

Paeroa deerstalkers club rooms were broken into 5-6 years back, no guns or ammo kept on site but the offender was apprehended due to CCTV

The latest tech is going colour. Helps hugely with identification because you can tell the colour of clothing worn, or the colour of the vehicle. Only downside is that it's not 'covert' because it requires a visible light to illuminate the colour.

We had a break in at work a couple of months ago (inside job).
    As a result we needed a temporary camera system to cover us until the business shut down (120 year old business, victim of Labours three waters debacle).

I purchased two Eufy security camera systems from PBTech. https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/CCT...ee-Security-Ca
    I have to say that I am pretty impressed. It's all wireless, solar charged, worked flawlessly in terms of wifi connectivity and alerts to my phone.
    Only downside is that it is not a continuous recording system. It only records once it has a detection, and then records for a fixed duration per activation. Fast moving vehicles were also an issue in that they can drive past in the time it takes for the camera to wake up and start recording, so camera placement is critical, which is the case no matter what system you have in place.

The resolution required for a conviction on the camera image alone is very high and cameras that can achieve that are very expensive, particularly night vision. Higher camera resolution alone is not necessarily the key, because typically the higher the resolution, the slower the shutter speed, which results in more motion blur, which degrades any still image facial resolution. A higher resolution chip capable of faster shutter speeds and good environmental lighting are keys to good images of perp's.
    Pengy, Moa Hunter, XR500 and 1 others like this.

you can go from supercheap to damn expensive, i installed stuff in pubs that could read a banknote serial number at 4 meters. iy all comes down to budget, account of cameras needed and storage needed. i personally dont like wireless unless there is no other option due to cabling issues
    Woody and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hotbarrels View Post
    I purchased two Eufy security camera systems from PBTech. https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/CCT...ee-Security-Ca
    I have to say that I am pretty impressed. It's all wireless, solar charged, worked flawlessly in terms of wifi connectivity and alerts to my phone.
    Only downside is that it is not a continuous recording system. It only records once it has a detection, and then records for a fixed duration per activation. Fast moving vehicles were also an issue in that they can drive past in the time it takes for the camera to wake up and start recording, so camera placement is critical, which is the case no matter what system you have in place.

The resolution required for a conviction on the camera image alone is very high and cameras that can achieve that are very expensive, particularly night vision. Higher camera resolution alone is not necessarily the key, because typically the higher the resolution, the slower the shutter speed, which results in more motion blur, which degrades any still image facial resolution. A higher resolution chip capable of faster shutter speeds and good environmental lighting are keys to good images of perp's.
    Just a heads up there's a lot of bad shit going on with EUFY at the moment (cameras and recorded images can be wiped easily, sends photos back to the mothership - China, base station wifi security is crap so people can watch your cameras live).

If you want to spend time on a DIY, you can pickup a decent 4k camera with "colour nightvision" (it's just an LED spotlight that turns on when the NV detects a human) for about $43US from Aliexpress). Same as gonetropo I don't like wireless. But i'd guess half a dozen ali-express cameras, + a crappy PC for a server + software + POE switch came out around just over a $1000 kiwi.

Gone but not forgotten
    I bought a cheap pan and zoom camera off TradeMe a few years ago and set it up in the shed. I had to put a range extender in the bedroom window for the wifi to reach far enough for it though.
    I can view live from my laptop or phone.
    It detects movements and sends pictures by email - well it used to. Now that gmail won't allow third party apps to access my account (or something like that) it no longer works. Anyone know a work around or other option?

Thanks Guys,
    I can see colour would help catch them
    and a bit of thought on location to get number plates
    I'm guessing some proof of them actually leaving with the gun would be worthwhile too.

Just capturing them inside your property is enough to have them charged with burglary if they aren't supposed to be there.

Capturing an image of them leaving with your guns would be gold plated.

Identity is the main issue. Who are they??

If they wear gloves and a balaclava, images aren't worth much unless they are caught nearby with said balaclavas in their possession.

Most of these arseholes are forensically aware. It would be unlikely to get a DNA match or fingerprints twice.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tac a1 View Post
    Just capturing them inside your property is enough to have them charged with burglary if they aren't supposed to be there.

Capturing an image of them leaving with your guns would be gold plated.

Identity is the main issue. Who are they??

If they wear gloves and a balaclava, images aren't worth much unless they are caught nearby with said balaclavas in their possession.

Most of these arseholes are forensically aware. It would be unlikely to get a DNA match or fingerprints twice.
    Set broken glass into the concrete on top of your walls, that way you get a blood sample