Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Firearms on Ferry

Firearms on Ferry

Crossed the strait a few times before and for the first time I had my keys taken off me for declaring a rifle as per their t&cs.
    Is it something new?

I suppose they are well within their rights to not trust the trustworthy....

first time I came over I handed them in to staff...as per instructions at the time...more hassle than it was worth, been locked inside vechille any time since,as per normal practise.... in a locked case in a locked vechille...... how dumb is it to take your keys off you??? the Mrs has spare set LOL.
    timattalon likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

did you ask for the gentalia of all staff to be removed to protect yourself from rape?????
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Stump View Post
    Crossed the strait a few times before and for the first time I had my keys taken off me for declaring a rifle as per their t&cs.
    Is it something new?

I suppose they are well within their rights to not trust the trustworthy....

Took your keys? How dumb is that! ( you weren’t drunk were you?)
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

What if the staff you gave your keys to weren't trust worthy......
    rugerman, stingray, dannyb and 1 others like this.

Probably would have better off packing a set of oars!
    chainsaw likes this.
    Nil durum volenti !!

My policy is don't tell the ferry staff, don't declare on the booking.

My firearms are secured in locked cases, secured to the vehicle.
    Bolts in a backpack that goes with me.

Ammunition locked in cases in a separate part of the vehicle.

Sometimes travel with a few (up to 30) kg of powder if required.

What the ferry operator and staff don't know doesn't hurt them.

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Nice to see that @Tahr, now it's clear that you don't have to give your keys to staff. I was thinking it rather irresponsible to give your keys to someone who may be unlicensed.
    Tahr, rugerman, stingray and 2 others like this.

My thoughts exactly, its best to comply with legal requirements and nothing more.

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by RUMPY View Post
    Nice to see that @Tahr, now it's clear that you don't have to give your keys to staff. I was thinking it rather irresponsible to give your keys to someone who may be unlicensed.
    Where did you read that you don’t have to give your keys to staff?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Guide says only that keys must not be left with the vehicle. Nothing about handing them over to the ferry operator.
    I've done both - crossed the strait after declaring rifles, and not declaring. Most recently when I declared at check-in both ways I was asked to hand over keys on one crossing ( which I did ) and not asked on the return crossing. I'm easy with it either way.
    A possible point of consideration if your firearms are insured... If something happened during a crossing that caused firearm damage or loss and you wanted to claim you may ( I don't know this for certain ) find it gets sticky with your insurer if the ferry operator policy is that firearms must be declared and you did not do so. Some insurers try hard to find any reason to not pay out.

From Tahr's link

"If the vehicle is travelling on a passenger ferry, then it can be left unattended for the duration of the journey if the driver and passengers are required to leave the vehicle decks. The vehicle must be locked, the windows must be closed, and the keys must not be left with the vehicle."

I offer no opinion on the rights and wrongs of this discussion.

As a thought: If I owned a large passenger/vehicle ferry service, I would want to limit my exposure, in the advent of something happening that could spell the end of my business.

Imagine the the law around this issue, says what it does above. I would want all firearms travelling on my ferry to be secured inside locked vehicle, with no key access.

How to do:

Have the travellers, declare the firearms are being carried properly, by reporting same, take the keys with a trusted staff member. Put this in ticket t&c.

Because the first time the ferry hits a good sized wave, all the numpties will grab their keys and handbags and rush to the vehicle deck, like they're gonna drive off in the middle of the Cook Straight.

And if they don't declare, well legally I'm free.

But then what to do about a bunch of intransigents, who've not only taken up their rights and privileges, to own and transport guns under N.Z. law, but have been having meetings and want to establish by force, an alternate system of societal rule, complete with their own government and a Bloke or Shelia with a ridiculous haircut, at the top?

That's why we have laws and enforcement.

over here, over there, either here, or there
    You board the ferry and declare that you have a firearm secured in your vehicle. You are now asked to surrender the vehicle key/s.
    Consider this.
    Have you ascertained that every employee of the ferry operator who may have access to the key/s has a firearms licence? Or that there is an audit able chain of custody?
    That's a little like handing the keys for your home safe to a member of your family because you're going to be away for more than an hour and you haven't ascertained that they have an appropriate licence.
    3.1.3 of this document https://www.firearmssafetyauthority....e-guidance.pdf makes an allowance for leaving the vehicle locked but unattended for the duration of the crossing.
    Make up your own minds as to how much information you choose to surrender to anybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkN View Post
    From Tahr's link

"If the vehicle is travelling on a passenger ferry, then it can be left unattended for the duration of the journey if the driver and passengers are required to leave the vehicle decks. The vehicle must be locked, the windows must be closed, and the keys must not be left with the vehicle."

I offer no opinion on the rights and wrongs of this discussion.

As a thought: If I owned a large passenger/vehicle ferry service, I would want to limit my exposure, in the advent of something happening that could spell the end of my business.

Imagine the the law around this issue, says what it does above. I would want all firearms travelling on my ferry to be secured inside locked vehicle, with no key access.

How to do:

Have the travellers, declare the firearms are being carried properly, by reporting same, take the keys with a trusted staff member. Put this in ticket t&c.

Because the first time the ferry hits a good sized wave, all the numpties will grab their keys and handbags and rush to the vehicle deck, like they're gonna drive off in the middle of the Cook Straight.

And if they don't declare, well legally I'm free.

But then what to do about a bunch of intransigents, who've not only taken up their rights and privileges, to own and transport guns under N.Z. law, but have been having meetings and want to establish by force, an alternate system of societal rule, complete with their own government and a Bloke or Shelia with a ridiculous haircut, at the top?

That's why we have laws and enforcement.
    The intransigenct types would leave bogus keys with the ferry staff.
    Or have a spare set.
    timattalon and MarkN like this.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’