Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Firearms License

Firearms License

Whys is the price of acquiring your firearms license $126.50
    When the price of re-issuing it after its expired $241.50, almost double???
    RR

I think if you redo it before it expires it doesn't cost as much.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    I think if you redo it before it expires it doesn't cost as much.
    Correct.

$126.50 - For a new firearms licence or renewal of a licence before expiry.

Standard licence expired: $241.50 - For any person whose previous firearms licence either expired, or was a "life time licence" which was deemed revoked.
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded

it sux but chep for the fun i recon its the duck shooting one that made me take a step back!!

Quote Originally Posted by samba View Post
    it sux but chep for the fun i recon its the duck shooting one that made me take a step back!!
    $90.00 this year? Bloody expensive for the amount of times I get out.
    Spudattack likes this.
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded

Quote Originally Posted by Raging Bull View Post
    $90.00 this year? Bloody expensive for the amount of times I get out.
    YEAH, and only half the weeks we had last year for Auckland & Waikato region......
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Set or approved by the minister for the nation. Regional input not really !! Be fairer if it was get prorated but then the southerners would moan as they get the most time. Currently they get the most bang for their bucks. Nothing we can do about it unless you wish to get involved and elected then it won't be a problem cos you ll have no free time to shoot ..

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
    Whys is the price of acquiring your firearms license $126.50
    When the price of re-issuing it after its expired $241.50, almost double???
    RR
    The $241.50 is most likely just a nominal fee with the $126.50 more of a financial incentive to encourage Firearms users to relicence before expirey (unless you have no intention to relicence that is) in order for the Police to maintain accurate records.

I'm sure it costs the Police much more than $241.50 to process the application.

I've been through this process within the last month and heres a brief explaination on whats involved and as you could appriciate theres a fair few hours work involved with each application not to mention the costs in maintaining the database and production and delivery of the physical licence.

Firstly I was contacted by the Arms Officer by phone to advise my licence was about to expire, confirm my current address and ask if I was intending to relicence.
    I then recieved a letter explaining that my licence was about to expire and enclosed were the application forms for renewal and an explanation of how the process works.
    I completed the forms, paid my money at the Police bankers @ Westpac and took the reciept and application forms to the AO who began the process by logging the reciept of this application and issuing a work order to the licencing Inspector.
    I was then contacted by phone by the licencing Inspector who arranged a time to visit and interview myself, my wife and anyone else who resides at my address.
    He visited on the apointed day and spent about an hour and a half with us.
    He then visited my referees which took about another hour each of his time not counting traveling to visit them.
    He then would have had to complete all his paperwork including a Police background check and submit them to the firearms officer for review and reccomendation.
    The AO recieves this report reviews it and passes it to the Area Commander for approval.
    Final sign off is completed by the Area commander who reviews the information and sends it back to the AO either accepted or rejected.
    If accepted more paperwork is completed and an order is placed for the production of a New Firearms Licence.
    Said licence is the posted to my address.
    If rejected then the AO has even more work to complete, including reviews and appeals etc.

All this work costs the Police (Us taxpayers actually) much more than $126.50, and I'd say it would cost even more than $241.50

Cheers
    Pete
    Kscott, Savage1, steven and 2 others like this.

Process Duration

Quote Originally Posted by P38 View Post
    The $241.50 is most likely just a nominal fee with the $126.50 more of a financial incentive to encourage Firearms users to relicence before expirey (unless you have no intention to relicence that is) in order for the Police to maintain accurate records.

I'm sure it costs the Police much more than $241.50 to process the application.

I've been through this process within the last month and heres a brief explaination on whats involved and as you could appriciate theres a fair few hours work involved with each application not to mention the costs in maintaining the database and production and delivery of the physical licence.

Firstly I was contacted by the Arms Officer by phone to advise my licence was about to expire, confirm my current address and ask if I was intending to relicence.
    I then recieved a letter explaining that my licence was about to expire and enclosed were the application forms for renewal and an explanation of how the process works.
    I completed the forms, paid my money at the Police bankers @ Westpac and took the reciept and application forms to the AO who began the process by logging the reciept of this application and issuing a work order to the licencing Inspector.
    I was then contacted by phone by the licencing Inspector who arranged a time to visit and interview myself, my wife and anyone else who resides at my address.
    He visited on the apointed day and spent about an hour and a half with us.
    He then visited my referees which took about another hour each of his time not counting traveling to visit them.
    He then would have had to complete all his paperwork including a Police background check and submit them to the firearms officer for review and reccomendation.
    The AO recieves this report reviews it and passes it to the Area Commander for approval.
    Final sign off is completed by the Area commander who reviews the information and sends it back to the AO either accepted or rejected.
    If accepted more paperwork is completed and an order is placed for the production of a New Firearms Licence.
    Said licence is the posted to my address.
    If rejected then the AO has even more work to complete, including reviews and appeals etc.

All this work costs the Police (Us taxpayers actually) much more than $126.50, and I'd say it would cost even more than $241.50

Cheers
    Pete
    Hi Pete, thanks for those details. You were probably right about the costs being more than the fee(s).

I've just had the interview with the inspecting officer today. Could you remember how long your whole process took, from application lodged to receiving it in the mail?

Cheers
    Kit

Yeah but hey I didn't want a licence, wasn't my idea to licence everyone, oh sorry forgot my place in society, I pay for everything.
    mikee likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by shuuter View Post
    Hi Pete, thanks for those details. You were probably right about the costs being more than the fee(s).

I've just had the interview with the inspecting officer today. Could you remember how long your whole process took, from application lodged to receiving it in the mail?

Cheers
    Kit
    Time taken was about four or five weeks in total.

The inspector was round home days after the application was made

The majority of the time was taken up with the District Commander being too busy to sign off on the paperwork so it sat on his desk for a couple of weeks.

Once that was done the licence appeared in the mail about a week later.

Cheers
    Pete
    steven likes this.

Yep that sums up the process P38. Not as straight forward as people think.

Now, how often are you checked for your firearms licence while hunting? Naughty me took a gun to a shop to have a scope mounted and taken away only to have forgotten the licence which was in my hunting day pack. Guy behind the counter wouldn't surrender the gun back to me (couldn't argue with that), 30 minutes later I was back with said licence.

when i redid my fal my ao was are ass. he even asked my wife to open my safe which she coudnt as i have the key hidden

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by major View Post
    when i redid my fal my ao was are ass. he even asked my wife to open my safe which she coudnt as i have the key hidden
    Major

My wife got asked if she knew where the key was and could she show him?

Her reply was I don't know where he keeps the key.

Asked if I bash her too.

Cheers
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by P38 View Post
    Major

My wife got asked if she knew where the key was and could she show him?

Her reply was I don't know where he keeps the key.

Asked if I bash her too.

Cheers
    Pete
    same and he asked if i take drugs. or have any gang connections. and then he rings back 1 week later and said i need are doctors certficate make sure i dont have mental probelms. it was are a bit hard as i never go to doctors. im not looking forward to doing it again