Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree184Likes

Thread: Firearms Safety Authority

For those that think this is a recent phenomenum, two weeks ago I spent a week hunting out of an old SF70 designed hut. It doesn't get visited much and had a full library of late 1980's and slightly newer Rod and Rifles magazines, etc.

in 1988 and 1989 the majority of the letters to the editor were about the rushed, poorly thought out arms act amendments and regulations coming out.

This has been going on for the past 30-40 years.
    308 likes this.

i called them the other day i had issues with a 43a that was going to shooters supply's and i shipped it the day before the shop closed without notice
    the guy i spoke to was a little bit lost as was i as this was a 1st and we weren't sure what to do.
    he said he would talk to his boss and call me back in 2 hours
    almost exactly 2 hours later the phone rang it was him and he told me exactly what we needed to do which was nothing as he had organized it all.
    the

super helpful guy nothing but good reports from me

just remember we all didn't know how to do our jobs when we started work regardless of what our chosen Parth and remember not all of them will have worked with firearms before
    just give the poor bastards a chance
    Last edited by rambo-6mmrem; 25-04-2023 at 03:00 PM.
    Gillie, OGM and Eat Meater like this.

Quote Originally Posted by muzza View Post
    I dont think collectively we have a hate on individuals - the distrust is with the heirachy. Your local arms officer is following instructions.

My beef us entirely above local station level, i have a good rapport with the person i deal with over the counter.
    yeah, exactly my local watch house lady is awesome.
    I'm normally in there about 15 mins the paperwork is a 30second job but we always end up having a bit of a chat lovely lady.
    this is a rual town station btw
    BSA, Moa Hunter and RV1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by muzza View Post
    I dont think collectively we have a hate on individuals - the distrust is with the heirachy. Your local arms officer is following instructions.

My beef us entirely above local station level, i have a good rapport with the person i deal with over the counter.
    Totally this.
    Growlybear likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    For those that think this is a recent phenomenum, two weeks ago I spent a week hunting out of an old SF70 designed hut. It doesn't get visited much and had a full library of late 1980's and slightly newer Rod and Rifles magazines, etc.

in 1988 and 1989 the majority of the letters to the editor were about the rushed, poorly thought out arms act amendments and regulations coming out.

This has been going on for the past 30-40 years.
    Ive got similar written evidence here plus a few overseas studies which clearly show the schemoozle these schemes turn into even more to the point the woeful standards so called academics employ in studies on the subject.
    outlander likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kotuku View Post
    Ive got similar written evidence here plus a few overseas studies which clearly show the schemoozle these schemes turn into even more to the point the woeful standards so called academics employ in studies on the subject.
    We had a register and we abandoned it because it didn't work - back when "lifetime licenses" were a thing
    We have a register now and it is faulty - ask anyone with a B or C or back in the E days - Plod would always fuck something up
    I'm recorded as having two 1911's - I'd love that to be true hell I'd like 20 of them but nope, just the one

Remember the recommendation post Chch was that the Police are relieved of the job of licensing because they are consistently shit at running a secure database

I'm all for giving an individual officer a chance but let's keep a sense of perspective here - we have been royally shafted for fucking years now and just cos some people are saying someone is nice once in a while it doesn't alter the basic facts

Oh look, the sword someone is shoving up my arse is encrusted with diamonds, how pretty
    tetawa, BSA, small_caliber and 5 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by small_caliber View Post
    The aim is to reduce the number of acceptable uses of firearms that the public will be exposed to.

This will mean the public see more instances of crime with firearms than legitimate uses of firearms

The final step will be to remove public ownership of firearms.

You have to remember the Police have the view only the Police, army and criminals should have firearms, this is the outcome they want.
    Do the police have this veiw
    Or does the police minister and that top 2 or 3 with in the police
    I have quite a few shooting mates that are cops and believe you me they are just as fucked off with everything that’s going on as everyone else
    Its it’s not the police
    It’s the government and top of the police

Please don’t hate on frontline police staff including arms officers
    They are just doing their job and they don’t like it either but it’s their job
    rugerman, kotuku, 10-Ring and 4 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by small_caliber View Post
    The aim is to reduce the number of acceptable uses of firearms that the public will be exposed to.

This will mean the public see more instances of crime with firearms than legitimate uses of firearms

The final step will be to remove public ownership of firearms.

You have to remember the Police have the view only the Police and Army should have firearms, this is the outcome they want.

If a member of the public has firearms they are a criminal and can be shot, it makes their job easier.
    The removal of firearms from private ownership has been on UN's agenda for more than a few years. Individuals in the power structure who wish to look good in UN's eyes for future posts will push this agenda. Horrific events like Chch give them more reason in their eyes to achieve this.
    outlander and RV1 like this.

How quickly those in power forget - after WW1, WW2 and the Korean war we pushed training in basic military competencies for the average male member of the public, and also supported and paid in the form of ammo and service-spec rifles "skill-at-arms" activities to ensure that there was a significant pool of people to draw from in the event of a requirement for a general callup for military purposes.

That memory has gone, condemned to the sands of time and for a lot of the current crop of politicians and Police hierarchy completely out of their sphere of experience. Unfortunately for those that believe wholeheartedly in the bogus UN disarmament propaganda the current world events with many civil wars and even a main state invasion of a neighboring country really do make a mockery of that belief. The other contributing set of factors is the woeful state of our military and for that matter the general state of our civil defence and general emergency services capabilities. A general standard of training and capability among the public would come in handy wouldn't it!

Switzerland hasn’t forgotten, but then they haven’t taken part an any war since god knows when……then again they haven’t been invaded either.
    Watching this Sudanese thing with mixed emotions. Really enjoyed my time there when doing the Nile route while overlanding.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    Switzerland hasn’t forgotten, but then they haven’t taken part an any war since god knows when……then again they haven’t been invaded either.
    Watching this Sudanese thing with mixed emotions. Really enjoyed my time there when doing the Nile route while overlanding.
    That Sudan thing has potential. I think we really need to have a really good think about where we are in the world, and what the potential for security and conflict is. I can't believe what Ardern did ramming our debt up so high for such little effective gain (completely avoiding any reference to the politics of the time). That debt should have been maintained in reserve and not frittered away.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    This is a bit out of synch with recent posts in this thread but I thought you might be interested in these excerpts from a recent communication from the compliance office of the Firearms Safety Authority.

“Unfortunately with the new regulations recently passed, (15 December 2022), there is now no way that Police or any other entity can give exemptions to the 12 shoot requirement for a B Category Endorsement holder.“

and ……

“if you don’t think you will be able to make 12 shoots in year ending June XXXX it may be that you should consider surrendering your B Endorsement until such time as you can again meet that 12 shoot requirement”.

My view of the last excerpt is that the language is very weak given the absoluteness of the statement in the first excerpt. It makes me think that the writer is encouraging surrender because there is some doubt about the veracity of the first.

@308 I am interested as to whether you replied to the letter you got and if so whether you have had a subsequent response.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by OGM View Post
    They borrowed a crap ton of money over "covid 19" and now the bill is due. I think the simplest explanation is also the most rational.
    Covid is just one layer/component of the fuckery that is going on.....

Sent from my SM-T225 using Tapatalk
    outlander and RV1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GDMP View Post
    Labour Govt's are notorious for frittering money away......its what they do.
    And for emasculating the defence force. Why my old man, ex RNZAF, WW2, would never vote for them.

BSA
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    This is a bit out of synch with recent posts in this thread but I thought you might be interested in these excerpts from a recent communication from the compliance office of the Firearms Safety Authority.

“Unfortunately with the new regulations recently passed, (15 December 2022), there is now no way that Police or any other entity can give exemptions to the 12 shoot requirement for a B Category Endorsement holder.“

and ……

“if you don’t think you will be able to make 12 shoots in year ending June XXXX it may be that you should consider surrendering your B Endorsement until such time as you can again meet that 12 shoot requirement”.

My view of the last excerpt is that the language is very weak given the absoluteness of the statement in the first excerpt. It makes me think that the writer is encouraging surrender because there is some doubt about the veracity of the first.

@308 I am interested as to whether you replied to the letter you got and if so whether you have had a subsequent response.
    It is the Pistol Clubs who grant an exemption from the 12 shoots with a legitimate reason such as illness or injury or suchlike. Not the Police. There are going to be big problems with uneducated Firearms Authority staff mis-interpreting regulations.
    Growlybear and RV1 like this.